Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

Yeah if anyone wants a job they seem to be hiring on the spot :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:19 PM

Staples opens May 30.

I'm going to be Stapley, the Staples mascot.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#123 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

This could be you!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_i8sMzQVYA

It has a whole new look!

#124 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

Staples opens May 30.

I am going to their pre-opening sale on the 28th. It's by invitation only.

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

[quote name='Dylan Leblanc'][quote name='"Holden West":81aa7']Staples opens May 30.[/quote]
I am going to their pre-opening sale on the 28th. It's by invitation only. [/quote:81aa7]

There is always a plethora of hot chicks at stationery store openings.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

I think you're onto something, VHF. There were a few of them greeting peeps at the door for Cobb's grand opening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:09 AM

Bay Centre liquor store closing down
Times Colonist
Published: Friday, May 25, 2007
The B.C. Liquor Store in the downtown Bay Centre will be shutting its doors for good next month, after mall management decided not to renew the store's lease, blaming its customers for creating problems in the area.

"Over the last few years we have seen some increasing issues -- obviously there's street issues in the downtown core and [liquor stores] do attract a certain clientele," Darlene Hollstein, general manager of the Bay Centre, told CH News yesterday. Hollstein says the mall wants the store out of the lower floor so that it can focus on fashion for its main client base: downtown workers.

Victoria police says many of the intoxicated street people they deal with every day downtown have bought their liquor from the mall store. Officers often find people openly drinking outside the mall, as well as fighting and breaking bottles.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****The store, which will close June 23, has a reputation for having the lowest prices in the area. Other liquor stores downtown are privately owned.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

Ok.

On to the dozen cold beer and wine stores that stay open longer than the mall's liquor store.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

I dodge at least three bottle fights a day while I am downtown. I am surprised that this is the first we have seen of it in the paper. :lol:

It has a whole new look!

#130 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

Ok.

On to the dozen cold beer and wine stores that stay open longer than the mall's liquor store.

Hmmm, must be nice to afford the obscene mark ups at those places.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#131 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

Times are changing. On May 31,

Town and Country bowling lanes closed today after over 40 years

The Coombs General Store closed today after nearly 100 years

C-FAX meteorologist Blane Coulcher retired today after nearly a quarter century on-air.

#132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Is the Coombs General Store the one with the goats?

It has a whole new look!

#133 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

No, I think that's the nearby Old Country Market.

Here's some good pics of the Coombs General Store:

http://www.flickr.co... ... ore&m=tags

#134 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

Anyone happen to notice La Collina on the CRD public space has shut down? Walked by there today and the place is void of people and furniture.

Also, that new coffee shop opened in the Belvedere, on Humbolt.

#135 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

That's terrible about La Collina. I guess a coffee shop set way back into an empty square isn't quite the sure thing we thought it would be.

Somebody please knock down that parkade and build a fine library and a residential building and get some life going there!

#136 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

I heard it was not about traffic but about the entire chain. The place always seemed busy when I walked by. Of course with Moka House in Chinatown now there was 8 coffee shops in a block and a half radius.

La Collina
Moka House
Bean Around the World
Union Cafe
Solstice
Fresh Roast
QV's
and that new avant garde one that I can't of the name of.

It has a whole new look!

#137 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

^Habit.

Yeah, we should hang our head in shame for missing the closing of La Collina. It's not often the T/C beats us to a scoop!

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=5c0caa19-54de-4711-bacf-bd8641527d6d:e35ba]Another makeover is in the works for La Collina[/url:e35ba]

Its downtown store in the Capital Regional District Building at the corner of Government and Fisgard Streets has closed, a new outlet is planned, ownership has consolidated, and the company is seeking new investors.

#138 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

My mistake. Please ignore that crazy stuff I said about building a new library.

#139 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

There was a letter from Lowe in the TC about what they plan on doing with the extra cash from the increased parking rates. They plan on upgrading all the parkades. Hopefully the term "upgrading" with regards to the Centennial Square one, they actually mean "destroying".

#140 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

There is a new rock paraphanalia / leather novelty fashion type store on Douglas where the luggage shop was. There seems to be a lot of those for a city our size.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users