Ida Chong recall campaign

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

In the first week the campaign managed 2041 signatures, a long way short of what they need to have any chance of success. 5000 is the minimum the first week should have seen in signatures, better would have been 6000.

They have maintain the pace of week one for the whole of the campaign to get close, that is unrealistic. Typically a petition campaign that is well organized expects to get about 1/3 of their signatures very early in the campaign period.

I agree. I also think two leader-less parties has not helped the campaign. Libs are now up 5% on the NDP in the polls.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

Regardless of thier views on the HST, I think most people see the Chong recall for what it is--a mean-spirited, opportunisitic and NDP-driven attempt to reverse the result of the last election.

#43 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

So I was reading Mon Mag today, and it said that Ida has a $61 a day food allowance. With the amount of people dependent on food banks increasing each year, you would think that the gov would have better ways to spend our tax dollars.

I don't think nickel-and-dime-ing elected members is the way to get the best return on our tax dollars. They are presumably public servants, and I'd far prefer that they could pay for their own lunch, deck work etc, than have it bought for them by lobbyists. They make $100k - this benefit maybe makes it $120k. I don't think thats a huge salary for the work they do.

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I don't think nickel-and-dime-ing elected members is the way to get the best return on our tax dollars. They are presumably public servants, and I'd far prefer that they could pay for their own lunch,...

This is fantastic news! As a public servant myself I look forward to this new public-driven initiative to get all those who work for the province of BC an additional $60/day allowance (presumably tax-free), to cover our meals. I can assure you most of us work just as hard as any elected members and for a lot less money.

#45 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

^ if you want the job, go for it.

#46 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

Civil servants get a per diem when they are on the road - though I admit that local MLAs should not be getting a per diem as they are not on the road.

Given the amount of competition there is for the job of MLA, maybe we should consider lowering the pay a lot?

#47 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

^ Because the quality of the competition is so good?

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

^ Because the quality of the competition is so good?

We have very good people run for office and lose in each election. We have had at least three people to choose from in every riding in BC in every election since 1996.

The amount of pay an MLA gets has never had any impact on the quality of people willing to run.

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

For most of the NDP candidates it is the most money they will ever make in their life.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

I find it odd that all the media outlets are reporting positive news about the 2,000 signatures gathered so far.

I think Bernard has been the only one to say, hey, that's actually pretty crappy so far, with numbers to back it up.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 Jessica Van der Veen

Jessica Van der Veen
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

[quote name='rjag']

RJAG wrote: "A person claiming a business background is one that mortgages or pledges by way of personal guarantees to run a business. In other words an owner.

They are the person that, if the business fails, loses potentially more than their job. They cant collect EI even though they pay for it."

Rjag: You have missed the point entirely. I owned my own business for 27 years: I was a professional actor and director in Film, Television and Theatre for 27 years. I was doing exactly what you describe above. My acting and Directing career was the ultimate in risk=taking and entrepreneurship. I also co-wrote a couple of productions.

Some years, I bought a house in Kitsilano with my earnings. Some years it was much tougher. The work at the acting studio was one part of a larger career as an actor and director.

You do not understand the level of competition, the risk, the creativity, and the acumen necessary to make it as an actor and director. If you can make it in the film and tv business, you can make it anywhere.

Clearly the Liberals are about to try and discredit my business credentials. They are going to look pretty silly.

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,405 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Clearly the Liberals are about to try and discredit my business credentials. They are going to look pretty silly.

I wonder Jessica if you have the real mettle to make it in BC politics;
  • will you blindly follow your leader even if a large percentage of your constituents are vehemently opposed to the policy?
  • will you refuse to demand a thorough investigation into blatant corruption by the government (i.e. the BC Rail scandal)?
  • will you gouge the taxpayers of BC to the tune of $60/day for a meal allowance even though you live less than 15 minutes from the legislature?
  • will you promote circuses (Olympic Games, 1/2 billion dollar replacement roofs etc.) over social well-being?
  • will you ensure that your career and party always come before the people who elected you?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions (and still sleep at night) I am certain that not only will the BC Liberals not discredit you, they will more than likely embrace you as the logical replacement for Ida Chong.

I wish you the best of luck if you are given the opportunity to represent the people of Oak Bay-Gordon Head, but be prepared for a lot of mud to be flung from those who don't want to upset the status quo.

#53 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

You do not understand the level of competition, the risk, the creativity, and the acumen necessary to make it as an actor and director. If you can make it in the film and tv business, you can make it anywhere.

Thank you for answering and keeping things civil as it should be.

Actually I do realise the level of competition, my wife lived and worked in New York and Vancouver in the 80's modelling and acting. She appeared in several screenplays and television series. She was also a model and was a regular in the woodwards flyers and others. I do understand the level of commitment and also the sheer guts it takes to remain sane in that world. It doesnt, however give you the street cred for politics, it does give you the ability to mask your true agenda from people if you are good at acting though.

Anyway, please answer my question:

Where do you stand on HST? And if you are elected and the NDP forms government how will you vote then?
Thanks and have a great day

#54 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

Thank you for answering and keeping things civil as it should be.

Anyway, please answer my question:

Where do you stand on HST? And if you are elected and the NDP forms government how will you vote then?

There has been no by-election or provincial election called, and Jessica is not running for the NDP leadership. Until that time I don't believe she needs to answer your question.

#55 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:30 AM

Rjag: You have missed the point entirely. I owned my own business for 27 years: I was a professional actor and director in Film, Television and Theatre for 27 years. I was doing exactly what you describe above. My acting and Directing career was the ultimate in risk=taking and entrepreneurship. I also co-wrote a couple of productions.

Some years, I bought a house in Kitsilano with my earnings. Some years it was much tougher. The work at the acting studio was one part of a larger career as an actor and director.

Yeah, I can't say that my confidence level is inspired by your whole, "I've worked in the most cutthroat, competitive industry in the whole history of creation and YOU can't possibly know what that's like." Which is how I believe a previous version of your bio on your website read (and your posts continue to imply). I find your attitude in this respect quite pompous and would assume you to be quite unapproachable as an MLA.

I don't really have anything to gain by stating this, so take it for what it's worth: a first impression.

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:21 AM

^ Calm down Fugger.

Let's keep it civil in here please. Everyone who posts on here is more than just a typed name and is actually a real human being. I like to think the VV population is a step and a few IQ points ahead of those that comment on TC stories.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

^I agree, this line of inquisition is boring, off-topic and offensive. As someone with a cultural background that ran for Council I take issue with the idea that someone in the arts is somehow less qualified than some fool that runs a lemonade stand. On the contrary, my education provided me the critical thinking skills necessary for tackling complicated issues. I hate to imagine a government consisting solely of business owners.

Anyway, let's forget the childish rants and get back on topic with actual news:

Recall organizers have gathered 4,151 confirmed signatures against Oak Bay-Gordon Head MLA Ida Chong after two weeks of canvassing, the group announced Monday.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz18lKSUqtQ

#58 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

^ Calm down Fugger.

Let's keep it civil in here please. Everyone who posts on here is more than just a typed name and is actually a real human being. I like to think the VV population is a step and a few IQ points ahead of those that comment on TC stories.

I'm sorry, I don't see how what I wrote comes across as ragey or uncivil - unless calling it how I see it somehow qualifies. Excluding the fact that the writer is the party-nominated candidate for the riding, she stated that her industry is the most competitive ever. I have an immense respect for the arts and even more for those who can make a living doing it. But that's not what I took issue with: it's the fact that she stated x is the most competitive business ever. x could have been whatever, even the proverbial lemonade stand. Someone makes a statement like that - online, in person, wherever - it is fair game for challenge. In addition, I don't think that it is out of line to form an opinion of a person who makes statements like that. For example, I'm sure that you have quite the opinion of me based on my posts, G-Man - and however misguided it is (;)), you're entitled to it.

But, do not chastize me for not pulling punches. I espoused an opinion based on her participation in the discourse - it's not like I made a biased, ad hominem attack. If that's not cool, I apologize for not getting the memo stating that we can only talk about sunshine and kittens on here.

Anyways, back to Ida Chong...hmmm, oh wait, I guess I shouldn't say that. How about this: Ida Chong is a very nice lady who enjoys making appearances at neighbourhood ratepayers' association meetings and should therefore not be recalled. How's that for adding value to the discourse?

#59 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

Personally I think such discourse is pertinent within this discussion as this is a recall campaign and I think we need to discuss what the process will be should the recall be succesful and that is a by-election. The most likely candidate is Jessica as the NDP havent indicated otherwise and have been very quiet on this matter.

I signed the petition as my way of registering my protest at the way I think Ida is not being representative of her constituents, as I have no issue with the HST.

I dont think people should blindly enter into a decision without considering the outcome of their action, which in this case, if its succesful, will be a by-election. Hence my comments about one of the other candidates.

Anyway the NDP have been extremely quiet regarding their position on HST which makes me even more nervous about their flawed platform.

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

I am completely in favour of political discourse especially when people are using an evidence base to debate different points of view. Calling people pompous I am not is beneficial or part of appropriate debate.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users