Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved

• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Inspired by the Keg thread and the search for a steakhouse...

Anyone remember Mr. Mikes? I think it was a local chain that started in the 60s and was around until the 90s, I think. There was a location in Admiral's Square in Esquimalt...other places too, but I can't remember...usually in suburban strip malls. You got a small sirloin, baked potato and salad bar for under $10.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

The location at Shelbourne and Mackenzie survived until about six years ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Little Sammy Fatburger (corner of Government and Johnson) where the ladies clothing store is now.

Was around in the 1980's (dunno if it made it into the 90's), owned by Howie Siegel. Served hotdogs (with sauerkraut), burgers, some other stuff I can't remember. Had lots of typical Howie type baseball stuff and pictures on the walls, I vaguely remember a mural as well..? It ended up being a popular spot for the hookers to hang out for a bit at night, which I think led to its decline and downfall. Howie would be able to tell you much more about it.

then of course there was Fuddruckers on Hillside up from Douglas where the liquor store is now located. You could order your burger rare, medium or well-down...obviously before the jack in the box scare. Can't say I loved the place, but it was still not bad.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

Fuddrucker's was Scapers favourite restaurant. They actually had real sides of beef hanging from the ceiling of the glassed-in butchering room. Vegetarians beware! It was where the Hillside/Blanshard liquor store is now.

John Cantin on Sammy's:

http://www.johnsplac...johns_story.htm
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Zombie's Pizza, solely for their whole wheat crust. Suze for its bar, certainly not for the food. Bravo's $3 martinis.

Hmm, it seems that I go to restaurants to drink, and then grab pizza on the way home! :-D

#6 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Late 80's in the corner of Market Square where the Cigar place is now, there was a restaurant that served the best nachos of all time... and they were open quite late at night... can't remember the name of it. :?

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

^I don't recall a restaurant on the north west corner (cigar store location). The south west corner (where the garden store is now) was a notorious restaurant location--at least five were there over the last couple of decades. The person that can name them all should win a prize.

#8 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

It was definitely in the north west corner, not the corner of death....

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Magic Coin?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

Magic Coin?

That's it!

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Southside Grill

Tommy Tuckers
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Forgot all about Tommy Tucker's. There was one on Oak Bay Avenue. There was also a Mr. Mike's in that horrible bunker of a building just off of the corner of Fort and Richmond.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Zombies Pizza on Wharf Street had a distinctive pizza. I can't remember what was distinctive about it but I remember it was distinctive.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

How about "Pal Joey's" in the Plaza Hotel, Pandora at Government?

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

I remember having a milkshake at the counter at Woolworth's. I recall it was an old soda fountain counter not unlike the one in Pop Tate's Chok'lit Shoppe (hope everybody gets that literary reference).

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Foody Goody on Government and Courtney.

I never knew homo sapiens could eat three times their body weight until I dined in that place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Holden thinks I'm crazy because I remember Romeo's Pizza when it was on the 700-block of Johnson, across from its later location where the Juliet site is now. I believe it was in a crappy little building where the big backside of the Odeon is now.

Does anyone else remember it?

The new Romeo's is about to open in the old "Earls" location on Blanshard.

aastra, your post was dated October 31 2006.

Nice

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, I used to go there every now and then.

At times that place was quite busy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

Derf, I ate at the later location when you were in diapers so your memory of the earlier Odeon location may be somewhat faulty my friend.

I'm afraid I have no memory of Romeo's there. In fact, I don't remember anything between the Kent (Demitasse) building and the alleyway to Yates. I don't doubt you (although you also recall fighting with Scaper around that time!). I'd like to see a photo of that area.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

I have a memory of eating there on the very same night that I also went to the teen club at New York, New York. I remember that club as being Club California, but VHF makes a good case that my memory is faulty on this point.

So is my memory faulty on the old Romeo's location?

I don't remember when the Juliet Romeo's was built, but I know it was there around 1988 or so, so I believe the Romeo's folks ditched the old location somewhere around 1986 or 1987.

I don't remember what was on the Juliet site before Romeo's.

I remember Pacific Mazda was across the street, where that 6-story office building is now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users