Carole James steps down.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

NDP leader Carole James resigns; minority of dissidents prevail.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz17Nt11rvB

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Watch her whole resignation speech, not only does she not admit to the problems she caused but she goes on and lashes out against people that have been trying to fix the problems in the party.

The problems Jenny Kwan raised have been in place since at least 2006. I know of two highly quality MLAs that did not run because of these problems.

I know of MLA 'supporters' of Carole James that have been very unhappy with her leadership.

She should have stepped down after the last election.

I find it annoying that she says the 13 the dissident MLAs were not working in issues for the people of BC. I have been in meetings with some of the MLAs in the last four weeks and they have been putting a lot of energy into important issues. They have not been rubbishing the leader privately when they could.

She is resigning with out an humility and without any ability to recognize that she has made mistakes and has not be able to lead the party. It has all been about her ego for the last few months.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

People I have talked to are fed up with the Liberals and the NDP. I think it is time for all the dissident MLA's from both parties to form a new party, hopefully with some fresh thinking.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

^ Social Credit ?

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:53 AM

LMAO, good one Sparky. You never know....why not?

You can slag Gordon Campbell for a multitude of sins; OTOH the NDP, with Jenny Kwan potentially as leader or at the very least in a position of back room power broker, is too miserabel a prospect to contemplate. Jenny Kwan?! No thank you very much....

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

The Liberals came out of obscurity provincially with Gordon Wilson. I never under understood why his connection with Judi Tyabji was considered untoward.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

I think that Les Leyne summed it up in his editorial in the TC this morning. Whatever chance the NDP had they just killed.

The current party was a loose coalition of the NDP, the Greens and various left leaning fringe groups who finally decided that it was time to take the spotlight back.

The public has themselves to blame for the sad state of affairs at all levels of Government. We whine over paying a fair wage, we expose every aspect and nuance of an individuals' private life, and we hold them to a standard that we wouldn't hold ourselves.

You would have to be a complete and utter moron to run for public office. The leftovers then are those with such huge egos that they need to abuse or those who have failed at their own careers and are desperate for something to do. Even if you want the relative certainty and benefits of employment in the public sector, you could make twice as much money with half of the grief in any middle management or higher role.

#8 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

You would have to be a complete and utter moron to run for public office.

I know it's hard to believe but there are people out there who choose to run for public office out of a genuine desire to serve the public. We need to cherish the good ones.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

John Horgan is leading the other nine candidates with 48% in todays CFAX poll.

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

I know it's hard to believe but there are people out there who choose to run for public office out of a genuine desire to serve the public. We need to cherish the good ones.

Then they are naive complete and utter morons!

I am not saying that good people don't occasionally run for office and get elected. I am saying that you have to be out of your mind to aspire to do that.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

The NDP have removed their primary barrier to winning the 2013 election. Whoever wins will finally unite the caucus in a way it has not been united since Harcourt was premier. The NDP will also finally begin to function as a government in waiting and actually do the job of an opposition.

I have some predictions about the future of the NDP and I have beer on offer if I am wrong.

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

The NDP have removed their primary barrier to winning the 2013 election. Whoever wins will finally unite the caucus in a way it has not been united since Harcourt was premier. The NDP will also finally begin to function as a government in waiting and actually do the job of an opposition.

Then may God have mercy on our souls if they actually form government. I like them as an effective opposition, if they could ever get their act together. They are very good at complaining which is what an opposition party should b doing. As a government they have to stop complaining. I dont know if they are capable.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

^ In all fairness, the right wing hasn't done all that well lately. Watcha got in mind for a solution?

#14 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

^ In all fairness, the right wing hasn't done all that well lately. Watcha got in mind for a solution?

Thats the conundrum isnt it? Kind of awkward when you are in a 2 party system and both suck. There is no alternative of significance to form government

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

The job had become lonely, Carole James says

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz17VPCyjac

#16 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

Without getting in to the debate about whether she was a great leader, one thing that Carole is not is an egomaniac.
Pieta VanDyke

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Bob Simpson will run as an independent in the next election. Seems like the wise thing to do until the dust settles and then you can take your pick of which party to support.

Maybe the independents will form their own party.

#18 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

Not being a BC native I find the politics highly entertaining, on par with Quebec. But I do wish a viable party of the centre could emerge instead of this 1910-era sawmill owners vs. sawmill workers mindset. BC surely deserves better than Tweedledee and Tweeedledum.

#19 masiyou

masiyou
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

^Carole James represented a more centrist NDP but the "sawmill workers" won out.

#20 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

More than half the dissident MLAs were to the right of Carole James, the dispute had nothing to do with policy positions

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users