Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Cosmopolitan | Rental, commercial | 5-storeys | Canceled

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#141 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

It strikes me that it is time to turf most of them this fall.:confused:

From your lips to the voters' ears!

#142 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

^ Sounds great. Except, who would you vote for instead? I'm considering spoiling my ballot at this stage.

#143 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

^ Sounds great. Except, who would you vote for instead?

Anyone who isn't an incumbant.

#144 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:07 PM

^You think Ben Isitt would save this project? Dream on.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#145 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

I just stumbled upon this today. I'm utterly dismayed and confused.

Let me get this straight...we have a very acceptable project and it gets squashed?

Not snuffed directly by city council, but the land use planning committee?

If that is correct...who is on the committee?

Sharpening my voting pencil:mad:

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

I'm not sure who was present when the vote was made but the full committee was not present to make the vote.

Ironically after this project is killed Mayor Fortin, on the eve of the election, announces a bold plan to support rental development in the city. However, the developer of Cosmo says that with the plan in place this project could be revived.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

I'm not sure who was present when the vote was made but the full committee was not present to make the vote.

Ironically after this project is killed Mayor Fortin, on the eve of the election, announces a bold plan to support rental development in the city. However, the developer of Cosmo says that with the plan in place this project could be revived.

Wow
So it seems Pam Madoff was at the helm of crushing this.

Tell me then how the Sovereign passed?

#148 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Tell me then how the Sovereign passed?

If I recall correctly, the Sovereign lot was re-zoned eons ago so the current council had no ability to stop that project.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the land use committee...the size and scale of this project, not to mention the fact that it was to be market rental, is completely appropriate for this area.

#149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Councillor Madoff was quite upset and managed to do away with the one unique element of The Sovereign (curved upper floors) and decreased the height by one floor.

The anti-development crusade loves making arbitrary changes to satisfy their desire to hear their own voices and put their foot forward at any opportunity. 12 floors, hey? MAKE IT 11! Curvature in design, hey? MAKE IT STRAIGHT! Modern architecture, hey? MAKE IT BLAND! Rental housing, hey? WE DON'T NEED IT! Market condos, hey? WHY AREN'T THEY RENTALS? ...and so on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#150 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

lol Mike, that is too true.

At one point Madoff called the Sovereign a tragedy in terms of how it will impact the old town, or something to that effect. :rolleyes: Get over yourself, lady!

#151 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

lol Mike, that is too true.

At one point Madoff called the Sovereign a tragedy in terms of how it will impact the old town, or something to that effect. :rolleyes: Get over yourself, lady!

How and why does she get re-elected?:confused:

#152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

Because there aren't enough Victorians on VV to learn about this stuff :cool:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Lest we forget, Madoff's partner was the architect who signed off on this beauty:

http://www.tlhousing...ns.ca/the-wing/

It's short, it's ugly, it's a go!

Know it all.

#154 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

^
:eek:
:P

#155 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

I like Pam Madoff. I don't agree with most of her views, but I think she cares, and she has people behind her views in every corner of the city.

Let's be a little careful about attacks here, some seem very nasty. You would not want to read some of these comments about yourself.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#156 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I like Pam Madoff. I don't agree with most of her views, but I think she cares, and she has people behind her views in every corner of the city.

Let's be a little careful about attacks here, some seem very nasty. You would not want to read some of these comments about yourself.

Hey I don't dislike her as a person for one minute.
This was not a personal attack. My question was based on the position of council.
I could ask the same question about some others on council as well! That's my opinion as a voter.

I was simply asking a question based on decisions made that directly affect the city and developers.
Decisions that IMO are not logical or progressive.

Something is very wrong here the way this project was handled.

#157 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

I agree Martini. I don't think anybody has said anything that would constitute an "attack". Madoff, along with the rest of council, says and does some very questionable things when it comes to development in this city.

Public officials in every corner of this country are criticized, and rightly so because criticism is a good thing. It means people are engaged, paying attention and questiong the authority of our leaders.

#158 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

...Council is the guardian of our community, and if the candidates/councillors are serious about keeping housing affordable, they had better start dealing with the issue of loss of rental stock.

You mean the way they did by turning down the Cosmopolitan proposal? :confused:

#159 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

It didn't fit with the neighborhood ok NP!

:P

Stupid council

#160 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

You mean the way they did by turning down the Cosmopolitan proposal? :confused:

Don't know the proposal or the neighbourhood, so I can't really comment intelligently.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users