Christy Clark - BC Premier

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#301 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

We elected a dead guy???

Andrew Wilkinson, Q.C. is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia in the 2013 provincial election.Wikipedia

Born1697, Australia
Died1784

• Rob Randall likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#302 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Stone or watts would have been better

#303 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Watts looked like an unintelligent and embarrassingly unprepared candidate to me in the several pieces I saw of her.

#304 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

We elected a dead guy???

Andrew Wilkinson, Q.C. is a Canadian politician, who was elected to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia in the 2013 provincial election.Wikipedia

Born1697, Australia
Died1784

Along with sexism and ageism we do not tolerate deadism. If we can have two Bill Bennetts surely we cannot deny Andrew Wilkinson's right to lead the party despite being dead. Dead people have a lot to offer. They remain calm in a tense situation. They don't talk over women or "mansplain". I lie down in support of Andrew Wilkinson.

+++++++++

Andrew Weaver:

Earlier tonight I sent out a press statement congratulating Mr. Wilkinson on becoming the new leader of the BC Liberal Party. The media release said this:

"Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green Party, issued the following statement following the announcement that Andrew Wilkinson has been elected leader of the B.C. Liberal Party.

“I extend my sincere congratulations to Andrew on his election as leader of the B.C. Liberal Party,” said Weaver.

"One of our caucus’ key priorities in choosing a confidence and supply agreement over a coalition government was to ensure we could work with both parties to advance our shared priorities in the legislature. I look forward to meeting with Andrew to discuss his priorities for the next legislative session and how we can collaborate on areas of common ground."

It's remarkable that shortly thereafter being anointed leader, Mr. Wilkinson said this to the media:

"My task is to make sure we hold the NDP to account with smart incisive questions that will make their skin crawl"

and

“Our job is to drive the wedge between them [the BC NDP and BC Greens] and make sure they are more and more uncomfortable with each other and get ready for an election...That’s our job.”

All I can say is this. Mr. Wilkinson, your job is to serve the people of British Columbia and not to play political games. Your job is not to act like an "I'm smarter than everyone else in the room" elitist. Your job is to hold government to account for their actions by offering constructive criticism and solutions to issues facing British Columbians. And that is our job as well.

The BC Greens are committed to working with all parties for the betterment of British Columbia. Are you?

• Mike K. and John M. like this

#305 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

^Oh thats a b!tch slap!!!!

#306 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

So... can't we start a new thread?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#307 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

Is someone gonna have to take Andrew Weaver's twitter account away?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#308 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

I would have preferred Lee. I could have voted for him in a general (indirectly I know). Wilkinson comes across as super arrogant, which is amazing given that he was running against Todd Stone. Best thing to come out of this is now Stone is neutralized.
  • jonny likes this

#309 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Surprised it was Wilkinson. He doesnt come across as a people person, he's very smart but if he cant engage with the person on the street then its moot.

Agree with Nagel, Lee would have been a good choice. Looks like Horgan can rest easy for the next few years.

• VicHockeyFan and John M. like this

#310 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

I think Wilkinson had the biggest backing in the BC Liberal base, so it shouldn't really be surprising that he won. I was surprised at some of the names who endorsed him though.

#311 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

My assumption was that after Lee was eliminated, due to his large support among social conservatives and Asian-Canadians, Watts would pull through. From the beginning though, it seemed like alot of people were saying "Well, between Stone, Wilkinson, and De Jong, there preferences are so tight together that whichever of the three comes first on the first ballot will win" 

#312 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

https://www.mainstre...tiple-ballots/ 

Also, fun fact: If you look at the Mainstreet poll from January, every candidate ended up on the first ballot within the poll's margin of error, with the exception of Lee. Why? Because if you add ALL of the undecideds to Lee's votes, his support is within the margin of error as well. So, assuming the poll was an accurate representation of the membership (which it seems to be) which happened: 

A) Did almost all the undecided people opt for Lee in the end?

B) Or did the undecideds split as they normally would among various candidates, but at the last minute a large number of other candidate's supporters switched to Lee? 

#313 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Surprised it was Wilkinson. He doesnt come across as a people person, he's very smart but if he cant engage with the person on the street then its moot.

Agree with Nagel, Lee would have been a good choice. Looks like Horgan can rest easy for the next few years.

Interesting that both the voting processes for the Cons and BC Libs resulted in those parties electing the wrong leader, IMO.

#314 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

It delivered the leader the way they wanted. The way they had set it up. And the way party members knew in voting.

It’s supppsed to eliminate divides.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#315 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

I suppose that's true. The process created very safe leaders, which I suppose isn't necessarily bad.

#316 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

Earlier tonight I sent out a press statement congratulating Mr. Wilkinson on becoming the new leader of the BC Liberal Party. The media release said this:

"Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green Party, issued the following statement following the announcement that Andrew Wilkinson has been elected leader of the B.C. Liberal Party.

“I extend my sincere congratulations to Andrew on his election as leader of the B.C. Liberal Party,” said Weaver.

"One of our caucus’ key priorities in choosing a confidence and supply agreement over a coalition government was to ensure we could work with both parties to advance our shared priorities in the legislature. I look forward to meeting with Andrew to discuss his priorities for the next legislative session and how we can collaborate on areas of common ground."

It's remarkable that shortly thereafter being anointed leader, Mr. Wilkinson said this to the media:

"My task is to make sure we hold the NDP to account with smart incisive questions that will make their skin crawl"

and

“Our job is to drive the wedge between them [the BC NDP and BC Greens] and make sure they are more and more uncomfortable with each other and get ready for an election...That’s our job.”

All I can say is this. Mr. Wilkinson, your job is to serve the people of British Columbia and not to play political games. Your job is not to act like an "I'm smarter than everyone else in the room" elitist. Your job is to hold government to account for their actions by offering constructive criticism and solutions to issues facing British Columbians. And that is our job as well.

The BC Greens are committed to working with all parties for the betterment of British Columbia. Are you?

That's a very gracious welcome on Weaver's part, and a poor politicking response from Wilkinson. Off to a good start here. /s

#317 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:45 AM

My assumption was that after Lee was eliminated, due to his large support among social conservatives and Asian-Canadians, Watts would pull through. From the beginning though, it seemed like alot of people were saying "Well, between Stone, Wilkinson, and De Jong, there preferences are so tight together that whichever of the three comes first on the first ballot will win" 

The opposite. Sad to say but in many cultures woman do not yet enjoy the same status as men. 

Edited by spanky123, 05 February 2018 - 06:46 AM.

#318 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:54 AM

Well don’t read all that much into her gender. She was also the party outsider so that played into it.

Pakistan had a female prime minister. So did India, in the 80’s.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 February 2018 - 06:56 AM.

• John M. likes this

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

Have you forgotten about Clark already?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#320 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

Well don’t read all that much into her gender. She was also the party outsider so that played into it.

Pakistan had a female prime minister. So did India, in the 80’s.

Lee was also an outsider so that can't be the reason. Happy to hear other suggestions as to why the ethnic vote split so heavily for Wilkinson at the last vote.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users