Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#181 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

New washrooms may not "make money", but they can definately stop you from making money.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#182 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

New washrooms may not "make money", but they can definately stop you from making money.

while I agree that nice shiny new washrooms are nice. mine are not stopping me from making money. my sales increase every month and im at my capacity every weekend. and busier then most places on a daily basis.

all of those are are the reasons I am building a new bar in the lobby, started on it on the 2nd.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#183 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

You go downstairs to the bathroom

osj, do you have a wheelchair accessible washroom?  never had the need when I have been in but there is the possibility.

#184 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Also, what's the concept for the new bar?  Wine bar, or a decent lounge?  Both of which are in short supply downtown. 

Edited by zoomer, 06 January 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#185 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

osj, do you have a wheelchair accessible washroom?  never had the need when I have been in but there is the possibility.

You should be able to traverse between the hotel lobby and Garrick's right where the expansion meets the original bar.

Garrick's was my favourite when I was younger and the new expansion is tasteful without being overbearing. I love it. Can't wait to see what Jay has in store for the hotel space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#186 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

A good washroom is actually one of my top criteria for any place.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#187 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

We do have handicap washrooms in the lobb, the new bar w be a p style lobby bar with a very big tap list.

#188 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

So the fact that the weed crowd hangs at Garricks perhaps because they can't afford powder, somehow means they are better?   I don't get the logic.  Then again I've never understood why one type of drug is deemed better or worse than another.

Well for starters, how many booze dealers have you heard of getting murdered lately? or Weed dealers? Or coke and the like? I think you'd have to admit it is skewed to the latter which perfectly illustrates my point and explains to you the difference between the drugs - at least from a why-I-don't-want-to-go-there perspective.

#189 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Well for starters, how many booze dealers have you heard of getting murdered lately? or Weed dealers? Or coke and the like? I think you'd have to admit it is skewed to the latter which perfectly illustrates my point and explains to you the difference between the drugs - at least from a why-I-don't-want-to-go-there perspective.

You think recreational users of coke will bring big-time dealers behind them guns blazing?  Almost always when a big dealer gets busted he has a whole variety of drugs onboard, coke, heroin, MDMA, GHB, and often including weed.  And rarely if ever do any of these murders take place anywhere near where the drugs are being consumed by end-users.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#190 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Finally checked out the new Ghead, definitely more upscale than the old setup, the new bar area felt more like something at a Moxies or Cactus club except filled with hipsters instead of dbags.

I had a business meeting at Cactus Club today. Despite the image Cactus conveys to some peeps the staff are always pleasant and quick on the draw, and IMO that's a big plus. Today the group seated at the bar with me was as varied as ever. To my right was a tatooed biker guy (probably pushing 55), to my left were two construction workers, across from me were two guys in hoodies and to their right several businessmen in suits. Despite not really fitting in with anyone at the bar nobody gave me a moments notice and I definitely didn't feel like I walked into some exclusive club. In other words the entire group could have just as well been sitting at Garrick's.

Contrary to what some might think a very varied and eclectic crowd can gather at Cactus and that's pretty cool. And given it's location it's a great people watching spot at one of the city's busiest intersections.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#191 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

I am a big fan of Garrick's. And I think the addition is great. But there are a couple if things that I would change as it would make me happy as a costomer.
The washrooms have got to be updated. Whether it was intended or not, the pub now is a more upscale place, and the washrooms should reflect that. At the very least that bumpkin style trough you call a urinal has got to go. Fixtures could use some updating at the very least as well.

Also I love the fireplace area, but when I was there a couple of nights ago, I noticed the lighting is quiet harsh from the spillover of the kitchen. There ought to be some kind of screen or wall to act as a buffer from the harsh white lighting of the kitchen and the soft light of the rest of the area. Otherwise I'm sure there is some kind of directional light that could be used in the kitchen rather than florescents that are polluting the atmosphere.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by gumgum, 10 January 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#192 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

glad you like the expansion,

washrooms will eventually get a makeover, but the new bar comes first. the trough in the mens room has been there for year and years now. it is a waterless system and better for the environment.

as for lighting in the kitchen, it has to be as bright as possible to see what your doing and for cleaning. its just the nature of a open kitchen. cant cook or clean in the dark.

im glad that the only real comments are urinals and lighting from the kitchen, means im doing a pretty good job.  wonder when someone else will open a  beer bar in Victoria?

the new bar im working on now will have another 50 beer taps, with no duplicates with the pub.

#193 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

im glad that the only real comments are urinals and lighting from the kitchen, means im doing a pretty good job.  

Um, you did get some real comments about the loudness of the expansion.... But yes, you're doing a good job! Good luck on the new space.

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

I certainly noticed the loudness of the new part, but I'm used to it.  Was there last night OSJ!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#195 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

as for lighting in the kitchen, it has to be as bright as possible to see what your doing and for cleaning. its just the nature of a open kitchen. cant cook or clean in the dark.

I understated the kitchen needs very bright light, but there are a few examples of establishments that doing a pretty decent job with open kitchen lighting. Check out Moxies on Yates for a good example.

Like I say I am sure there is a better lighting solution than using florescence that kinda hamper the atmosphere.

#196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Jay, you got a name for us for the new place?

Know it all.

#197 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

OSJ I too would like to see you update the bathrooms. The mens bathroom is one of the worst among downtown bars and with the change in clientele you should make the bathrooms a priority. I don't mean to knock the bar as I think it's one of the best in the city but the bathrooms should get some attention.

#198 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Funny how a few negative comments take the remodel of the bathroom from "I don't have to" to "eventually", eh?

Oh, and the noise is a easy fix.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 12 January 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#199 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

My only concern is that there are not 50 beers worth having on draft available in BC.

http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#200 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Garricks imports lots of beers so I assume the new place will as well. There's a ton of awesome beer (on par if not better than what's brewed locally) all over the PacNW. Just in Seattle alone there are some 30 craft breweries and if each brews only four beers that's 120 to choose from right there (the actual number is likely somewhere between 200-250 if not much higher).

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users