Photo

Garrick's Head | Victoria | Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#161 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, some complaints just have to be filtered out I guess.

Why is there a link to an ad on my post? Eidt: there was I swear.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

gumgum, see this thread. It's likely that your PC has been infected with spyware.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Mike. Seems my computer has a bug.

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

No worries. Hopefully you can get rid of that junk :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Mike. Seems my computer has a bug.

Also check your add/delete programs list, that's where I found the sneaky little *&^%^* that invaded my computer.

(hijack over)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#166 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

So Faze 2 begins tomorrow.
I will be closing the original side of the pub to renovate my kitchen and give the old side a bit of a face lift. We will be limiting our food sales to 12-8 for the next little while as we run our food out of the upper kitchen.
The last month has been crazy busy, above and beyond what i expected. Some love the new space and some don't, cant please everyone i guess.
We are closed Jan.1-3 and back open on friday.

Have a great new years everyone.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#167 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Just a reminder that we are having a cask tonight at 5. Dean from Lighthouse and I came up with this cool beer. It's a chocolate orange IPA. thinking it will go fast, so if your down, be here early.

#168 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

just a little heads up, I'm adding ten more beer lines at Garrick's Head. They will be installed and pouring by the 16th. all ten are rotators and that will make it a total of 55 lines.

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

ZZZzzzzz, wake me when you have 100. :squint:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#170 EskimoDave

EskimoDave
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Jay, add a glass rinser.  I had getting chemically tasting pints.  It does off-gas, but it takes a few minutes.

http://beerontherock.com, a comprehensive Vancouver Island beer blog.

#171 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Jay, add a glass rinser.  I had getting chemically tasting pints.  It does off-gas, but it takes a few minutes.

Definitely a welcome addition to the bar.  Everytime I have ever tried a taster the smell is overwhelming.  Luckily it's not usually as bad in a pint glass but still would be a huge improvement.

Edited by tbracken, 02 January 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#172 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Finally checked out the new Ghead, definitely more upscale than the old setup, the new bar area felt more like something at a Moxies or Cactus club except filled with hipsters instead of dbags. The Crowd has gone noticeably upscale, but maybe around the holidays is a bad time to sample that. That said, there was almost all punk rock being played over the speakers, so I was stoked about that. 

If a place could capture the magic of the old garricks head, in a larger venue, I reckon it would be very successful. There aren't really any large venues near downtown that are quite like that, you know, like the Cambie or something in Vancouver - not a dive bar, but not upscale either. The old half of the Garrick, BBJ's, maybe Smiths kind of capture that idea, but are all really small sq-ft.

#173 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

I'd argue small sqft is one of the appeals of those places. I'd say the bar side of fifth at is similar, except when they are playing a hockey game.

#174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Finally checked out the new Ghead, definitely more upscale than the old setup, the new bar area felt more like something at a Moxies or Cactus club except filled with hipsters instead of dbags. The Crowd has gone noticeably upscale, but maybe around the holidays is a bad time to sample that. That said, there was almost all punk rock being played over the speakers, so I was stoked about that. 

You know, I love the Garrick's crowd, and the staff, and the manager, but honestly, you think Cactus or Moxies are FULL of dbags?  Come on.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#175 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

That is where the powder crowd hangs out prior to heading to some club imho!

#176 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

That is where the powder crowd hangs out prior to heading to some club imho!

So the fact that the weed crowd hangs at Garricks perhaps because they can't afford powder, somehow means they are better?   I don't get the logic.  Then again I've never understood why one type of drug is deemed better or worse than another.

#177 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Garrick's Head should address their comically dreadful washrooms, imo. Its a nice room and a great selection of beer and decent food. You go downstairs to the bathroom and its the stainless steel 'wall pisser'.   Is there no other space for a proper washroom?

#178 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

So the fact that the weed crowd hangs at Garricks perhaps because they can't afford powder, somehow means they are better?   I don't get the logic.  Then again I've never understood why one type of drug is deemed better or worse than another.

Seems straightforward to me.  Side effects of booze and coke: fighting and thievery, with a side order of promsicuity.  Side effects of weed and mushrooms: macrame and doodling, with occasional musical interludes.  If I was in the deeming business, better and worse would seem pretty clear.

• gumgum and tedward like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#179 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Seems straightforward to me.  Side effects of booze and coke: fighting and thievery, with a side order of promsicuity.  Side effects of weed and mushrooms: macrame and doodling, with occasional musical interludes.  If I was in the deeming business, better and worse would seem pretty clear.

Have you ever been rip-roaring and total crazy promiscuous on coke though?  Sure beats macrame and doodling in my opinion.   :banana:  Just the tales you can tell your grandkids are amazing.

• http likes this

#180 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Garrick's Head should address their comically dreadful washrooms, imo. Its a nice room and a great selection of beer and decent food. You go downstairs to the bathroom and its the stainless steel 'wall pisser'.   Is there no other space for a proper washroom?

new washrooms don't make you any money.  there is also washrooms in the lobby if your against using a waterless urinal.

they are just bathrooms after all, there clean and do the job.

a

s for any comments on drugs in bars, I can tell you that all drugs are present in all bars. just cause you don't see it doesn't mean their not there. we have thrown many ppl out for rolling joints and doing lines.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users