ZpjdKpDIK64

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

Motion calls for oil tanker ban off B.C. coast

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz17gJEhUy6

Here is some info on Vancouver, a terminus for oil from the tar sands.

http://thetyee.ca/Ne...uverOilTankers/

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

Pamela Anderson on oil tankers.

ZpjdKpDIK64

What did she mean about no tank top ?
Is there another video?

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

So we as a province will stop USING oil too right? I mean otherwise we're just selfishly shifting the risk on other people.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:20 PM

What did she mean about no tank top ?
Is there another video?

No, the other video is not for family viewing. How about a pic?

Looks like she could use some warranty work.

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

The majority of the tankers coming through the Strait of Juan de Fuca are headed to US ports. There have also been oil tankers in the Vancouver harbour for generations.

People are also ignoring the fact that in the last 20 years there has been dramatic changes to oil tankers and the number of oil spills and their severity is way down. During the same time the amount of oil being moved by tanker has dramatically risen.

In general, the number of size of all oil spills is down globally. There has only been one spill to make the top 20 list in 18 years, the BP one this year, though it is the biggest one ever

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

I love the hypocrisy of people with these black signs on their lawns against the oil industry and tankers in our region while a brand new SUV sits in their driveway.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

I say build a pipeline through Alaska, across the Bering Straight and into Asia. If they want our oil let the Asians pay for it, and forget about using the oil guzzling tankers.

You already have Pam Anderson on side, and I am looking up Sarah Palin's phone number right now.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

I say build a pipeline through Alaska, across the Bering Straight and into Asia. If they want our oil let the Asians pay for it, and forget about using the oil guzzling tankers.

You already have Pam Anderson on side, and I am looking up Sarah Palin's phone number right now.

The oil market is in the US, not Asia. The Asians buy coal from Robert's Bank.

You just made me think....why are we exporting crude, when we could refine it ourselves?

It's like shipping raw logs instead of shipping value added finished lumber.

Don't give Sarah the number of Pam's plastic surgeon.

#10 Baro

Baro
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

We export things because there just isn't money to be made processing at home. It's sad, but labour and "cost of doing business" is so much cheaper in other countries it's just not worth it to do it at home. No environmental regulations, no labour rights. How do you fix that? Well you either let them drag your human rights and environment down to compete (no thanks), counter their cheap labour with superior technology (we've lost our tech edge and don't seem to care to invest in it anymore), or impose some sort of tarrif based on the human rights and environmental issues of the producing nation (people would revolt if their dora backpack cost 50% more at walmart despite the huge creation in jobs with actual basic human rights)

So, we just export resources instead, since they HAVE to be exacted inside canada following canadian laws. IF it was legal our entire forestry and resource sectors would be made "special administrative areas" that followed Dubai law and our local companies would fire everyone and replace them with borderline slaves.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

^ Sad but probably true. Thanks for that. I will go back to work now.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

You just made me think....why are we exporting crude, when we could refine it ourselves?

Who would ever let you build a refinery, even if it is state-of-the-art, and replacing a 1960's or 1970s one? Environmentalists would stop it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

So we as a province will stop USING oil too right? I mean otherwise we're just selfishly shifting the risk on other people.

Sort of like the tons of asbestos we ship to the second and third world, right? They cut it by hand to make building panels.

http://www.twnside.o...e/deadly-cn.htm

In 1997, Canada exported 430,000 tonnes of asbestos - more than 96% of production - most of it to the developing world. Canada is the world's second-largest exporter of asbestos after Russia.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Who would ever let you build a refinery, even if it is state-of-the-art, and replacing a 1960's or 1970s one? Environmentalists would stop it.

Then the Environmentalists should be forced to walk.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

I am headed to Fort McMurray on Monday where the real oil action is. I will bring back some current news on where this industry is headed.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

I am headed to Fort McMurray on Monday where the real oil action is. I will bring back some current news on where this industry is headed.

Can you score some cheap gas for me please too?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

Umm I think cause gas blows up real easy, oil just burns if subjected to hot enough temps.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

OK in all fairness, somebody somewhere is turning crude oil into gasoline so that we can drive to work in the morning. Is that a bad thing?

Some might say yes that is. But do we need it? Yes. Can we do without it? No.

Is refining crude oil into gasoline environmentally destructive? I don't know.

But somebody is doing it, most likely on the same planet that we are on.

Is it any more responsible to perform this dastardly deed somewhere else....out of sight...out of mind...so we can feel better about driving our cars?

I think its time to come to grips with reality and establish clean guidelines and procedures with regards to refining our own resources here instead of shipping (what some would perceive as our shame) to other countries out of guilt.

I am assuming we need to ship the finished product back to our gas stations.

That's a lot of shipping.

#19 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

Vancouver is home to a bunch of refineries. They are all below SFU.

Oil is refine close to where it is used because you create multiple products with the oil and it is trucked to the locations where they are used. Crude oil is the bulk product that refineries all over the world need.

Refineries are hard to build because there are few neighbourhoods that will accept one being built. We need more refineries in North America because the existing ones are working flat out.

As to raw log exports, in almost all years, BC imports more logs than it exports. Our raw log exports are a drop in the bucket for our timber harvest.

If the oil is not shipped via Kitimat, it will be shipped via Blaine in Washington. A larger pipeline will run the oil to the tanker port there.

#20 phx

phx
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

Vancouver is home to a bunch of refineries. They are all below SFU.

I don't think there is any refining done there now. I understand the tanks there hold products piped in from the refineries in Alberta.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.