Photo

West Coast Oil Tanker Traffic

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

If the oil is not shipped via Kitimat, it will be shipped via Blaine in Washington. A larger pipeline will run the oil to the tanker port there.

Where is the tanker port in Blaine?

I know of the Cherry Point refinery and tanker port but I was not aware there was one in Blaine.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 ignoranceisbliss

ignoranceisbliss
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

Maybe these activists should use the energy and time they spend complaining about the oil tankers, put it all into education, put all your heads together and come up with an alternative to oil. One other comment to the oil ban activists, how do you people get to your little demonstrations, do you all use your little bycicles. I work in the tugboat industry and the activists had a little demonstration in the Vancouver harbour, yes on boats that use oil to run, did i see anyone paddling there little canoe, NO. VANCOUVER IS FULL OF COMPLAINERS WHO JUMP ON A BAND WAGON WITHOUT RESEARCHING ALL THE FACTS. If these people think that they can go without oil products I challenge you to sell your cars, if you use any gas in your houses get rid of it, use wood, oh no not wood that would give you something else to complain about, useing our trees for energy, what is the world comeing to. I know, go live in a cave, because if we listened to everything you complained about we might as well be back to the stone age.

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

I don't think there is any refining done there now. I understand the tanks there hold products piped in from the refineries in Alberta.

The Chevron Burnaby Refinery

Located on the scenic shores of spectacular Burrard Inlet near Vancouver, the refinery produces petroleum products from Canadian oil and gas. Raw product arrives at the refinery from northern British Columbia and Alberta via the 1,200-kilometre Kinder Morgan Pipe Line. Here, using the most modern refinery technology, crude and synthetic oils, condensate and butanes are transformed into 50,000 to 55,000 barrels of motor gasolines, diesel and jet fuels, asphalts, heating fuels, heavy fuel oils, butanes and propane every day.

http://www.chevron.c...ing/default.asp

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

^Hm, I did not know refining was done locally.

Although it appears a drop in the bucket (or barrel), as it produces only 55,000 barrels of finished product per day compared to the 3.35 million barrels produced per day.

Meanwhile, this story is from a few days ago:

[Chevron] says the area of the refinery that is contaminating the groundwater has been in operation since the 1950s.

Chevron continues to work to locate the source of the leak, including the use of video technology within the refinery's effluent system.

"We've found nothing to indicate a chronic or current contributing new source of material into the ground under the refinery."

Although the leak into Burrard Inlet became known last April, the company has been aware of it at the refinery since 2004 due to a perimeter monitoring program, Lord said, and increased the number of monitoring wells since 2009 following evidence of oil movement in the area.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz17uwYfYJE

That's a huge chunk of waterfront property but I can't imagine it being redeveloped easily after nearly a century of contamination.

Well, obviously we are all hypocrites for consuming oil while decrying the effects. However, we would be in better shape if we reduced our thirst for it and fixed the pricing subsidy that makes oil unnaturally cheap compared to better alternative energy sources.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#25 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Well, obviously we are all hypocrites for consuming oil while decrying the effects. However, we would be in better shape if we reduced our thirst for it and fixed the pricing subsidy that makes oil unnaturally cheap compared to better alternative energy sources.

Whole heartedly agree. The argument that you shut up and allow unfettered use or else shut up and go live in a cave is pretty weak. Removing the subsidies and increasing the usage tax to compensate for environmental damage done would do wonders for reducing our use and encouraging alternative energy sources.

#26 jonny

jonny
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

I say build a pipeline through Alaska, across the Bering Straight and into Asia. If they want our oil let the Asians pay for it, and forget about using the oil guzzling tankers.

You already have Pam Anderson on side, and I am looking up Sarah Palin's phone number right now.

Yes, because pipelines never have spills, ruptures or accidents of any kind.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

'Significant' oil leakage from ship aground off New Zealand

Maritime New Zealand estimates that 130-350 tonnes of oil have leaked from the vessel, which was carrying 1,700 cubic meters (450,000 gallons) of fuel.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said two inquiries had been launched into the incident to discover how the ship hit the reef. "This is a very large ship, that in calm waters has hit an extremely well documented reef," he told Television New Zealand.

more;
http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t2

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

Simushir, fuel-laden Russian cargo ship, adrift off Haida Gwaii

A 135-metre cargo ship laden with hundreds of tonnes of bunker and diesel fuel is adrift without power off the west coast of Haida Gwaii, and the Haida Nation fears the vessel will run aground tonight.

CBC meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe said storm warnings remain in effect for the area and the wind, which had been gusting from the southwest, will be changing direction.

"Over the next few hours, they'll be shifting, coming in straight from the west, meaning pushing against the ship, pushing it towards to east," she said Friday afternoon. "Really, the next 12 hours will be critical with the changing weather conditions."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2803590?cmp=rss

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

A tug from Prince Rupert, along with a tug from Alaska, were deployed this morning, with the Haida Nation stating at the time that the fastest estimated time of arrival was 20 hours, or early Saturday morning

.“If the forecast holds, the ship is expected to run aground in approximately nine hours. The ship has a Russian crew and the captain has been injured.
Coast Guard is attempting to get to the site by helicopter to respond to the situation,” the release stated.http://www.thenorthe.../279591302.html

CanadianPress-hadia-gwaii-ship-adrift.jp

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

OLD MASSETT, HAIDA GWAII -- The Canadian Coast Guard has secured a Russian cargo ship drifting in five-metre swells off B.C.'s northern coast and is towing it away from land.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz3GT9dc8mt

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,057 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

So it turns out our coastal response is prepared to deal with such an incident.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Here we go Again

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...t-sea-1.2811585

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

The barge broke loose from a tug on Tuesday and the US Coast Guard is looking for it.

Company president Patrick Schmidt says once the barge is found and if it's safe enough,

sailors will be taken to the barge and steer it to port under its own power

http://www.thespec.c...rift-in-arctic/

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Didnt know barges had engines to propel them selves

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Didnt know barges had engines to propel them selves

The Arctic Tuk has it's own engines.

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

The 279-metre-long container ship Hanjin Vienna has been moored at Constance Bank than two weeks.

“That’s a very big vessel and you can imagine something that size pretty much takes up an entire dock,” says Robert Lewis-Manning.

The Vienna has not paid all its bills in BC and it’s under arrest to stay in Canadian Coastal waters and will stay at Constance Bank while those legal matters are resolved.

There is hope that the Vienna pulls up anchor this week to go back to the lower mainland for a logistically stop.

“I do know that through the actions of a number of people over the weekend that this vessel will shortly weigh anchor.

They will probably refuel, re-provision, and I have been told that about half the crew will be changed out by the company that owns the ship itself.”

http://www.cfax1070....a-too-big-to-be

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,164 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

^That's why my new Jet Black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus hasn't shown up yet...

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

That's why my new Jet Black 256GB iPhone 7 Plus hasn't shown up yet...

The on board crew haven't had much to do for a few weeks, except maybe open a few of those containers to see what they can find to supplement their wages, but they are more likely to be looking for Samsung phones.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Two weeks eh?  You have to admit, it's Hanjin in there.  

• Matt R. and Bingo like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

The on board crew haven't had much to do for a few weeks, except maybe open a few of those containers to see what they can find to supplement their wages, but they are more likely to be looking for Samsung phones.

They could take the Zodiac out, go visit the lone wolf/dog up and around the corner.

• sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users