Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#5101 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

The fix is in.  Under that tent they are putting in no less than 6 bicycle lanes, with 1 remaining car lane in 1 direction only.  Upgrades will be required at either end of the bridge so the few remaining vehicles permitted to cross the JSB (the permitting process opens in January and costs 10K per vehicle annually) can safely alternate.

Oh, I had heard that the tent was an emergency shelter for the Chrissy and Co. Travelling Circus

• Nparker and nagel like this

#5102 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Where else locally have you seen an approved design differ to such an extent upon project completion?

Not sure concept drawings and "approved design drawings" are the same thing?

Maybe I misunderstood, but were these bridge drawings the actual documents that were signed off on, intending to describe exactly how the bridge would look when completed?

I was under the impression they were conceptual drawings to describe the general intent of the final design.

The conceptual drawings I've had done up for specific projects downtown were merely intended to get discussion moving forward, and bring people on board ... and were in no way a commitment by anybody, or to anybody that what was shown in the drawings was an actual representation of any intended final product.

Indeed, in all but one case, the concept drawings were generated by an architect that had nothing to do with the actual finished design of the project.

#5103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

The public was told that that was what we were voting for.

The final design and engineered design didn’t rear its head until a very long time later, well after the public had already given its support for the design as it had been presented.

I believe it is critical that an inquiry be conducted to assess what happened.

If council can request reports on plastic bags in our community surely understanding how we got ourselves into the current situation, and how to avoid it in the future, is a matter of importance.
  • Daveyboy and Cassidy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5104 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:12 PM

I believe it is critical that an inquiry be conducted to assess what happened.

I would have to agree with that.

There are far too many huge holes in the process that beg to be answered ... and yet nobody involved has, or appears is even willing to answer those questions.

Looked at from the proper perspective (spending taxpayer dollars), there could almost be a legal argument for an inquiry.

#5105 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

Off to work we go...

38217595696_6c3a618c0f_k.jpg

38217596416_a66faad822_k.jpg

#5106 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

A FedEx delivery?

• Mike K. likes this

#5107 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

They're laying down the material for the road surface, hence the need for a tent.

There was a media tour yesterday where they announced the Dynamic Beast crane barge will be brought in on November 30th to begin the five day task of placing the rings in the pier.

Pic from the JSB website:
BridgeDeckRoadSurface1.jpeg

Edited by Gary H, 05 January 2018 - 11:09 AM.

• jonny likes this

#5108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

Are these your photos Gary?

#5109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

A media tour open only to the mainstream media, I see.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5110 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

^^Yeah it's a new Sony lens attachment that can bend and refocus light at an arbitrary distance from the lens - you know, the same tech as in the movies where spy satellites can read license plates at 90 degree angles from over 10,000 miles away.    :ph34r:

In reality they're links to the JSB website.  The problem is when you click on the pic it only shows the filename, not the URL.

Edited by Gary H, 09 November 2017 - 03:04 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#5111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

Time to turn up the heat on re-naming this thing.  I see no good reason not to re-name it.  Just from a tourism point of view.

New name, or old name? If we decide on a new name, what should it be? Or why should we stay with the old name?

(With PHOTOS) Have your say: should the brand new Johnson Street Bridge have a brand new name?

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

Victoria Gateway Bridge?  It'll just be shortened down to the Gateway Bridge.  That's not so bad.

Harbour Gateway?

First Narrows lol.  It'll actually be the second crossing, as I'm lobbying hard for that clear plastic pedestrian-only tube to run along side the sewer pipe.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 November 2017 - 08:57 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5113 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Fortins Folly

#5114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

The Nightmare on Johnson Street Bridge. Pays homage to the past while reminding future generations what can happen when a public project is mismanaged every step of the way.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5115 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

I don't think Pandora should be part of any new name.

I'm in favour of keeping Johnson in the name as it is the street you come to heading East into the city.

It also has some heritage significance, and tourist will flock to see a NEW Johnson Street Bridge, and they will readily find it on the map.

I also think it is a mistake to demolish the old concrete pier on the East side of the bridge as it would make a good viewing platform to watch harbour activities

#5116 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

The Songhees and Esquimalt Bridge seems the perfect name to me. It describes what areas the bridge leads to. It's also pays homage to the First Nations who once resided on those lands. SEB, as abbreviation?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

People will be wild about the Esquimalt name on it when that Municipality did not pay.
  • Nparker likes this

#5118 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Also what happens when esquimalt drops the name esquiamlt in an effort to rebrand the muni and becomes “bayside” or “Oceanside” Or somesuch

#5119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Johnson Street is named after Captain Charles R. Johnson, who was the commander of a 180-foot paddle wheel steam sloop, the HMS Driver, one of the first commercial vessels stationed in Victoria.

In its early days Lower Johnson street was a part of Fort Victoria, established in 1843, the Hudson Bay Company settlement that preceded the creation of the city.

http://greatplacesin...on-street-lojo/

#5120 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Victoria Harbour Bridge

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users