Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#5321 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

Thank you for Ross Crockford on the JohnsonStreetBridge.org group for the heads-up.

The group also asks several pertinent questions regarding the reduction of the City's Johnson Street Bridge public realm and street works budget.

City-of-Victoria-reveals-250000-Johnson-Street-Bridge-public-art-piece.jpg

Victoria's artists in residence Luke Ramsay and Lindsay Delaronde have unveiled their vision for an art piece part of the new Johnson Street Bridge replacement project. The angled and partially submerged surfboards are meant to depict an orca whale.

City of Victoria reveals $250,000 Johnson Street Bridge public art

https://victoria.cit...blic-art-piece/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5322 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Well, that's quite a thing.

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5323 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

Why not a scale model of the old bridge, that would be cool.

Plus for $250,000, we could get a few more dozen more feet of bike lanes.

Can we not take $50,000 of that, and fix the whale wall?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 11:11 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5324 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

This design really reflects the great tradition of surfing that was the old JSB. I am delighted that my artist-in-residence tax dollars are being so well spent.

• Baro, Daveyboy and Jackerbie like this

#5325 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

I whole-heartedly agree that the JSB steel should be used in this space. Sydney recently revealed an art installation using the old wooden escalator stairs, which were removed and replaced with a modern system. Why can't we have nice things, too?

chris_fox_wynard_station_sydney_historic

• Baro, Nparker, sebberry and 1 other like this

#5326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

That's gorgeous.

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5327 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

I agree. A work of art using the JSB steel seems much more fitting. An orca? fttt. At least it's abstracted and a nice form but still cliche. Also has little to do with this spot in particular. I would rather see an ugly sculpture from those rusty beams as a link to it's past.  

• Baro and Nparker like this

#5328 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Well, the museum's escalator (s?) is in bits, maybe they will make a museum piece out of it.

#5329 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

There's no reason why we can't do both, the orca and the old girders. The girders could be an art piece (like the escalator stairs above) or it could just be on display, like the old wooden storm drain section near the Selkirk Trestle.

Besides, it's better to have at least two pieces. There's lots of space, they can play off each other and when there is only a single lonely piece of art in a space it has the unfortunate job of having to be all things to all people (Mowry Baden's arena art piece being a prime example).

• jonny likes this

#5330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Mowry Baden's arena piece still haunts me.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#5331 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

Mowry Baden's arena piece still haunts me.

It's greatest fault is that it's smaller than the giant sign that turns night into day, making the latter the more prominent "art piece" at SOFMC.

Edited by Nparker, 12 December 2017 - 01:58 PM.

• dasmo likes this

#5332 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

I would prefer that one of the derelict boats be considered as an art display at the bridge site.  That way we can explore the permanence of impermanence while visually experiencing the transitory evanescence of the byproducts of capitalism in a postmodern cultural milieu.  Or something like that. :1954_dancing:

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 5 others like this

#5333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

I nominate Daveyboy for the new CoV philosopher-in-residence position.

• VicHockeyFan and todd like this

#5334 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

There's no reason why we can't do both, the orca and the old girders. The girders could be an art piece (like the escalator stairs above) or it could just be on display, like the old wooden storm drain section near the Selkirk Trestle.

Besides, it's better to have at least two pieces. There's lots of space, they can play off each other and when there is only a single lonely piece of art in a space it has the unfortunate job of having to be all things to all people (Mowry Baden's arena art piece being a prime example).

When they cut up the rail span at Point Hope they saved this piece for an art display.

It and some other parts were over near the JSB office on Harbour Road at one time.

Johnson Street Bridge art 2.jpg

#5335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

I nominate Daveyboy for the new CoV philosopher-in-residence position.

The aboriginal one, or the secondary one?  There needs to be two.

#5336 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

^ ^ they clearly did mark it "save".

• Matt R. likes this

#5337 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

When they cut up the rail span at Point Hope they saved this piece for an art display....

I thought this was meant to be displayed at the SOFMC (with additional pieces tagged as "on/on/on" and "Foods/Foods/Foods")

• Matt R. likes this

#5338 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

The aboriginal one, or the secondary one?  There needs to be two.

Fair enough.

#5339 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thank you for Ross Crockford on the JohnsonStreetBridge.org group for the heads-up.

The group also asks several pertinent questions regarding the reduction of the City's Johnson Street Bridge public realm and street works budget.

City-of-Victoria-reveals-250000-Johnson-Street-Bridge-public-art-piece.jpg

Victoria's artists in residence Luke Ramsay and Lindsay Delaronde have unveiled their vision for an art piece part of the new Johnson Street Bridge replacement project. The angled and partially submerged surfboards are meant to depict an orca whale.

City of Victoria reveals $250,000 Johnson Street Bridge public art

https://victoria.cit...blic-art-piece/

Yeah those are missiles pointing? at a chinese bridge.

#5340 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

I would prefer that one of the derelict boats be considered as an art display at the bridge site.  That way we can explore the permanence of impermanence while visually experiencing the transitory evanescence of the byproducts of capitalism in a postmodern cultural milieu.  Or something like that. :1954_dancing:

Well said. I love transitory evanescence. You should be able to squeeze a graduate degree out of that.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users