Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#7521 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

No, I have no recollection whatsoever of any movie by that name.

If you Google and listen to "Guns of Navarone theme song" you will recollect those memories from the cerebrum and the parietal lobe.

#7522 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:41 PM

Oh, "The Guns of Navarone". Yes, I know it very well, including the Harrison Ford sequel. In your original post you said "Guns of Navrone". I assumed you were referring to some other film that I had never heard of. In future please try to be more meticulous with your movie references.

• Bingo likes this

#7523 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

City expands it's grass crop.

IMG_9723.JPG

• todd likes this

#7524 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

On the day the City of Victoria's new council was sworn-in taxpayers are learning that PCL, the construction company which oversaw the development of Victoria's new Johnson Street Bridge, is suing the City and its consultant engineers (WSP and Hardesty & Hanover) claiming unspecificed damages for "debt," "breach of contract," and "negligence," according to documents obtained by bridge watchdog group JohnsonStreetBridge.org.

The suit was filed on June 22 and is in addition to a lawsuit filed earlier this year by WSP against the City.

According to JSB.org, the City has yet to file statements of defence in response to both lawsuits.

Meanwhile the final costs for 'fendering' to protect the new bridge from collisions and landscaping on the bridge's approaches have yet to be factored into the existing $105.6 million price for a bridge originally promoted to taxpayers as a $63 million project.

More: https://johnsonstree.../p/welcome.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7525 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

If the suit was filed on June 22, why are we only learning about it now, 2 weeks after the civic elections. I suppose these law suits are Dean Fortin's fault too.

• sebberry, Bob Fugger, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#7526 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

If the suit was filed on June 22, why are we only learning about it now, 2 weeks after the civic elections.

I suppose that they could have released the info a few days after the election, but at that point a few too many people were still tuned into the election results...... :whyme:.  This sort of stuff is why so many people give up on politicians altogether and don't even bother to vote.

#7527 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

If the suit was filed on June 22, why are we only learning about it now, 2 weeks after the civic elections. I suppose these law suits are Dean Fortin's fault too.

It was filed in Chilliwack so folks searching the Victoria or Vancouver registries would not have seen it.

#7528 Laszlow

Laszlow
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

Courtesy, My Old Man ... Pick one?

Couldn't organize a two-car funeral.

Would screw up the Lord's Prayer ... if they knew it?

Can't find their a$$  with both hands and radar!

#7529 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

The bridge saga will not be over until  the new one is old and needs to be replaced.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 07 November 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#7530 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:55 AM

The bridge saga will not be over until  the new one is old and needs to be replaced.

The black / blue bridge was no different. Plagued with problems, cost over runs and took ages to get built.

... and, in the end, people fought to protect it from destruction.  :)

#7531 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

The black / blue bridge was no different. Plagued with problems, cost over runs and took ages to get built.

... and, in the end, people fought to protect it from destruction.  :)

Can you find and provide some historical records to show the problems the city had with constructing the Blue Bridge?  I've never heard of any issue with that bridge's construction before.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 07 November 2018 - 09:42 AM.

#7532 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:53 AM

Some reading here:

https://www.victoria...he-blue-bridge/

• Mystic-Pizza and N E Body like this

#7533 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:57 AM

Can you find and provide some historical records to show the problems the city had with constructing the Blue Bridge?  I've never heard of any issue with that bridge's construction before.

If I find a better article, I'll add it to this one... but this should give you an idea.

https://www.victoria...he-blue-bridge/

Whoops... I see aastra added this a few minutes before me.

Edited by N E Body, 07 November 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#7534 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:19 PM

The City of Victoria has been named in a third lawsuit concerning the new bridge, between PCL and Atema, the company that inspected the steel in China: http://www.iheartrad...oject-1.8547221

#7535 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:26 PM

The City of Victoria has been named in a third lawsuit concerning the new bridge, between PCL and Atema, the company that inspected the steel in China: http://www.iheartrad...oject-1.8547221

Has anyone seen the design for the north side fendering?

Three lawsuits have sprung from the Johnson Street Bridge project, although project director Jonathan Huggett expects two will likely be solved through negotiation.

The first involves PCL Constructors Westcoast Ltd., the firm that built the bridge. They allege they were saddled with extra costs due to inaccurate and incomplete design information.

The second involves design consultant, WSP Canada Group, who allege they have yet to be paid for the north side fendering.

http://www.iheartrad...oject-1.8547221

#7536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

Johnathan Huggett says the lawsuits are par for the course and the PCL suit filed in Chilliwack has yet to be served. What's up with that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7537 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

Supreme Court rules of civil procedure (http://www.bclaws.ca...2009_01#rule3-1) say this:

Rule 3-2 — Serving and Renewing the Notice of Civil Claim

(1) An original notice of civil claim does not remain in force for more than 12 months, but if a defendant named in a notice of civil claim has not been served, the court, on the application of the plaintiff made before or after the expiration of the 12 months, may order that the original notice of civil claim be renewed for a period of not more than 12 months.

I take that to mean that if PCL hasn't served the City within a year of filing the lawsuit, it has to go before the court and "renew" the claim. If the City did get served, that would trigger Rule 3-3, "Responding to a Notice of Civil Claim", requiring the City to file a statement of defence within 21 days ... which might also include a counterclaim by the City against PCL. 

As Huggett told the TC, PCL filed the suit to protect its rights under the statute of limitations, which says you have to file a civil claim within two years of the offending event(s). But he also said there's "ongoing discussions" with PCL, and "the city will make a recommendation to council on what should happen based on legal advice, on advice of the consultants[.]”

Looks like we're going to be paying out to make these lawsuits go away ... and a lot of information about who was at fault will get swept under the rug.

#7538 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

Looks like we're going to be paying out to make these lawsuits go away ... and a lot of information about who was at fault will get swept under the rug.

But where is the design for the yet to be finished north side fendering, or does that go away as well.?

#7539 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

Last Saturday's TC: “It [the WSP lawsuit] sits out there remaining at the moment because we are still in discussions with WSP about resolving the north side fendering," Huggett said.

So keep hoping that nothing hits the north side of the bridge. It won't have fendering for quite some time.

#7540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Good grief.

Thanks for that, JC.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users