Photo

[Johnson Street Bridge REPLACEMENT] General, technical, design and naming discussion

• Please log in to reply
7993 replies to this topic

#7661 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Because the only thing tax dollars should be spent on are bike lanes and services for homeless.

Those that work and pay taxes don't deserve pretty things like landscaping, holiday decorations, or military style displays of force like Snowbird shows or fireworks.

Can we please leave the anti-bike lane rhetoric to the dedicated thread for it? This whole forum goes around in circles with this stuff and it gets old incredibly quickly. 

• Coreyburger and tedward like this

#7662 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

^As long as the new bridge has 50% of its new build associated to active transport, no.

But have a nice day.

Didn't know there was a dedicated thread though!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 11 March 2019 - 07:06 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7663 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

Other thing I am tired of is if anyone says anything about a bike lane it is "anti-bike lane".

Maybe, just maybe there wouldn't be so much rhetoric if it wasn't as if things were being shoved down the collective throat of everyone as this being the "solution" to transportation issues.

This "build it and they will come" mentally only breeds more animosity.
  • Midnightly likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7664 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

I thought it was buses being shoved down our collective throats as being the "solution" to transportation issues.  They even have their own special lanes now!  I'll bet the bus passengers are gleefully jeering* at the suffering drivers as they go sailing past.

And to add insult those buses can use the regular lanes any time they want.  Lights changed to green?  Oh wait, no that's the special queue jump light for the bus, because it is - and by extension all bus riders are - better than you​.  And they just stop in the middle of the road and make everyone wait behind them.  That's almost literally flipping everyone off.

That's what you are giving up your free Sunday parking for.  Well, not giving exactly.  It's being taken and you'll shut up because no one is going to listen to a Dirty Driver anyway.

Whew, I'm spent.  It's fun though.

* I totally saw Cats4Hire jeering, I swear.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#7665 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

^ Transportation is a complex need.  Not everyone can ride a bike.  Not everyone can take a bus.  Not everyone can drive a car.  

Punishing families out of their cars will not work.  Preventing bike lanes will only make the problem worse.  Buses are part of the solution but won't "fix" things.  Traffic calming will make the situation worse.

Transportation requires a multi prong approach, yet we continually bash each other over ideology. 

Where is the leadership? 

#7666 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

Where is the leadership? 

bike 60%, bus 30%, walking 9.99%, cars 0.01%

#7667 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Anyway...have any current, detailed landscaping plans been released for the public realm surrounding the JSB?

• Fox likes this

#7668 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

Anyway...have any current, detailed landscaping plans been released for the public realm surrounding the JSB?

I heard that neat rows of cannabis plants were in the OCP.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#7669 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:06 AM

Okay back to the bridge everyone and agree with some of the comments. Can we please keep bike lanes, BBQs, Sunday parking in their respective threads. This is about the JSB and at the moment the latest Focus article, the current landscaping, or one of the many lawsuits.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7670 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,958 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

a bike lane bbq one sunday on the bridge would be a good idea.  park in the yates parkade for free and walk down using several crosswalks along the way.  or take a bus.  free for kids if we hold it in september..

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2019 - 06:30 AM.

• RFS and Cats4Hire like this

#7671 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Progress on the connecting walkway under the new JSB...

32449071737_d12f39465a_k.jpg

32449070877_c8293a5e86_k.jpg

• Mike K., sebberry and DavidC like this

#7672 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

I'm sure it's just the photography angle but that second shot sure looks like some cramped headrooom.

#7673 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

I'm sure it's just the photography angle but that second shot sure looks like some cramped headrooom.

Those movable orange bollards are about 3 feet high...

#7674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

If I had to guess I'd say there is about 2.5-3 meters of headroom in this space.

#7675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

So much for the sale of excess bridge lands to reduce the cost of the new bridge.

Victoria’s trepidation over bridge land sell-off forces Northern Junk proposal to slim down, nix condos in favour of rentals

https://victoria.cit...our-of-rentals/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7676 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:10 AM

So much for the sale of excess bridge lands to reduce the cost of the new bridge.

Victoria’s trepidation over bridge land sell-off forces Northern Junk proposal to slim down, nix condos in favour of rentals

https://victoria.cit...our-of-rentals/

Or the amount the City was asking for the land wasn't economic for Reliance.

#7677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

So much for the sale of excess bridge lands to reduce the cost of the new bridge...

And of course now we'll end up with even more useless, empty "public space". Oy vey.

#7678 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

And of course now we'll end up with even more useless, empty "public space". Oy vey.

Pod of surfboard whales?

#7679 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Pod of surfboard whales?

Or maybe a new home for those pop-up orcas currently in Centennial Square.

#7680 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

I feel like the bridge took so long that the people that were intended to profit from it missed their window, since the council turned over between the project launch and end.  Ah well, sometimes you gamble and lose.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users