BUILT
The Mondrian
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1090 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Mondrian is a 93 unit condo with ground floor retail space. Designed to appear like a Mondrian-inspired pa... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Mondrian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Mondrian | Condos | 10 storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#441 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Now who wants to bet what type of business will be the first to occupy the retail space? Will it be a coffee shop, hair salon, yoga studio, or tattoo parlor?

#442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Most definitely. Heck, I've heard people who hate tall buildings say it would have looked better with more floors. We can chalk this up to yet another planning blunder for we know City Hall will slash floors at the first opportunity but they're not likely to advocate adding them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#443 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

How is the project selling? Everytime I drive by it looks like at ghost town at street and upper levels.

#444 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

I see lights on in the evening when I go by so someone is home. I am going to bet it will be a lawyer or accountant first. There is a coffee shop across the street so not sure that it will be coffee first.

• Mike K. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

That general part of downtown is deadsville as far as walk-by traffic. Good luck to anyone wanting to make a go with expensive retail space at that corner unless they operate a destination business like a clinic/lawyers office (as G-man says) or what have you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#446 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

The parking situation around the Mondrian isn't great either. Nearby on street parking is very limited and there are no parkades.

#447 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

The last I recall was that the developer was renting out units on a month to month basis as units were not selling

#448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

No kidding, hey? So this makes both the Hudson and Mondrian offering units as rentals.

Know it all.

#449 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

There's a sign saying Mondrian Coffee or cafe or something like that up in one of the retail spaces.  

#450 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

When I walked past yesterday there appeared to be activity in 3 different retail spaces.

#451 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Now that the word is out about two more buildings beside the Mondrian store owners are scrambling to get the retail space!

• Mixed365 likes this

#452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

The corner unit has been leased by HDF Wealth Management/Workspace Solutions.

Mondrian Coffee fronts onto Johnson.

Know it all.

#453 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

Something I don't get....
Why are the coloured panels just one colour on each facade? Mondrian's surfaces employ red, blue and yellow panels in varying proportions so I expected the coloured panels on each facade to reference that. No extra cost involved and people might actually understand the building's name.

#454 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

I suspect having different coloured panels on each facade might have been considered to be too visually "busy", although I agree it would have better represented the Mondrian style aka "de stijl".

8346-thumb.jpg

#455 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Could be, but the balcony panels are quite small relative to the area of the facade. Maybe it was too much of a creative challenge.
IMO it would have made a ho-hum facade a bit more interesting or distinctive and provided a reason for its name.

#456 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

...IMO it would have made a ho-hum facade a bit more interesting or distinctive and provided a reason for its name.

While I agree that mixing the colours on each face of the building would have better approximated Mondrian's style, I still think most people would have found this palette somewhat dizzying. For a better representation of "de stijl" check out Central Middle School - or the Patridge Family bus:

partridge-family-bus.jpg

• johnk likes this

#457 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

Fire trucks are on scene at a minor fire at the Mondrian right now.

#458 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:59 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=hxy1fkrXmCI

#459 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

The cafe is under renovation.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#460 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

The cafe is under renovation.

It must have really needed it after being open for those 2 or 3 days several months ago.  :squint:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users