BUILT
The Mondrian
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1090 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Mondrian is a 93 unit condo with ground floor retail space. Designed to appear like a Mondrian-inspired pa... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Mondrian on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Mondrian | Condos | 10 storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#61 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:43 PM

I kinda like how it's pretty much a cube. Some towers seem cut-off or missing something at the top, but I think this building celebrates its cubeness.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#62 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

Underground parking here?

#63 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yeah I'd love to get some more stats on what's going on inside the building. How many units, what sizes, how many parking stalls and so on

#64 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

Yeah I'd love to get some more stats on what's going on inside the building. How many units, what sizes, how many parking stalls and so on

I know how you feel.

It's almost like the article Mike wrote on the VV front page doesn't have any of that information.

#65 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

I know how you feel.

It's almost like the article Mike wrote on the VV front page doesn't have any of that information.

Yeah I was about to post that I should have read the article...

The Mondrian, to be developed by Victoria-based Alpha Projects Developments of Aria fame, among many other developments, will comprise of 93 residential units ranging from 400 to 840 square feet (bachelor to two-bedroom) including several townhomes. Between two and four commercial units as small as 1,000 square feet to upwards of 3,000 square feet are also envisioned, with marketing by Colliers International expected to begin within several months.

72 parking stalls on 2.5 underground levels will be included.

#66 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

Wow how did I miss that entire paragraph... obviously Mike's still editing and adding content to the article since I posted, only explanation.

Alpha's website doesn't seem to load. Does it simply not exist or did mike get the address wrong?

http://www.alphadevelopments.com/ works

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

I think a top floor setback on a building so short would look silly, so I'm not sure what else could be done.

Setbacks on the upper floors look very good on buildings such as Aria and Corazon and Swallows Landing and Synergy at Dockside Green. Chard's Broughton Street project, too. It's a simple way to avoid that decapitated-by-a-height-limit-laser look.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

Wow how did I miss that entire paragraph... obviously Mike's still editing and adding content to the article since I posted, only explanation.

No, no editing to the article after it was published ;) But I did update the URL for Alpha's homepage. It should load up properly now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

so if my math is right, this will be equivalent to 279 units/acre (= 689 units/hectare)? pretty good for victoria & it looks good too, setback or no setback.

#70 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Nice to see some colours.

But the name should be spelled right. Mondriaan.

#71 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

But the name should be spelled right. Mondriaan.

No, because he dropped the extra "a" in his name when he was still painting in the impressionist style. This building is inspired by his later abstractions.

I assume the zoning and setback rules inspired the blockiness and that inspired the geometric Mondrian theme. Rather than have several setbacks, the whole tower is pulled back.

#72 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

I like this building but I hear what Aastra is saying. I think an easy fix and in line with the name, some Mondrian pictures have the lines extend out similar to how a number sign looks. So simply have some of the lines extend past the top of the building.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#73 klukkluk

klukkluk
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

No, because he dropped the extra "a" in his name when he was still painting in the impressionist style. This building is inspired by his later abstractions.

You're absolutely right. Never knew that.
Thanks

#74 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

So this building passed the PLUSC the other night, but I understand some concerns were raised. What were their issues?

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

So this building passed the PLUSC the other night, but I understand some concerns were raised. What were their issues?

I believe it had something to do with blocking the view of the Sooke Hills at 4:37 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, June 12, as one approaches the intersection in one's car heading South on Cook Street, travelling at 52 KM/hr, assuming an earthquake levels Sutton East & West prior to this date. ;)

#76 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

I've got some interesting info to share on this, just waiting for official approval. Got a whole heap of sketches and design intent that all make me cement my opinion of not changing the design at all in terms of top floor setbacks. I'll post shortly

#77 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I was talking with Peter De Hoog about the building and some people's criticisms, he told me it was ok to post his info and pics here.

"
The comments [from the recent meeting] were

1. about about the blockiness of the building and whether a 6th floor set back would be desirable. (the Harris Green Guidelines call for a set back at the 6th but Design Panel supports the design as is) and
2. the 3 surface parking stalls off the parkade entrance.

I'm not sure either of these would be enough to hold up overall approval.

The design concept came from the fact that the building was essentially a cube, so we played with that. We applied the proportioning system of the golden section to the cube and that's how the base and corner vertical elements came about (see my attached concept sketches). We then articulated the plan in a few areas so that the roof line as its experienced moving past the building , would present as a broken line, and not as a 'laser' cut as it may appear in the drawings. We did originally have the corner elements 'popped-up' to a higher elevation, in the hope that this would be treated as a parapet, but it would have resulted in a height variance."

#78 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

kickass

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for posting, Baro!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#80 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

This looks very nice. I don't think upper-floor setbacks are such a big deal - no one can usually see them unless they are far away, and even then it is not so displeasing to see a flat roof. And in this case they are staggering them a bit, which is great. Hopefully this is approved quickly.

My only complaint is that I still think some condos should be built that are larger to make them more appealing to families. $/sqft could be reduced by making them have fewer windows/sqft. i.e. the window space of an 800 sqft place in 1400 sqft.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users