Photo

[South Cowichan Valley] Bamberton | 5,000 homes | On-hold

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

"Our main thing is our rural quality of life is at stake," said Lena Lee of Friends of the Saanich Inlet, which is opposed to the development.

"We are a rural community here. We don't want a bustling city here," said Lee, who lives on a 0.2-hectare lot north of the Bamberton site.

Source: Mill Bay group pans Bamberton plan ("Neighbours concerned about loss of rural ambience, lack of water" ???)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#22 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

I wonder where this group was when Three Point was cleaning up the toxins that were leaking into their aquifer?
:P
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#23 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

I wonder where this group was when Three Point was cleaning up the toxins that were leaking into their aquifer?

very good point

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

Indeed.

#25 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

I highly doubt there was much contamination of the groundwater resources outside of the site, being so close to the elevation of the inlet and in the central area of the property. The effects on the marine ecosystem of the inlet were probably more adversely affected if at all.

#26 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

http://www.bamberton...n-Site-Plan.pdf

From this map, there's a planned location for a school. I wonder, in light of all of the recent cuts, and school closures, who is going to pay to build and operate a school? Or is it just a feel-good to help the master corporate plan along?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

I would assume it's a 21st century school, not the warehouses we went to. By that I mean it could be a Montessori like at Selkirk or a small elementary like the new Elsie Roy in downtown Vancouver. You would think with 5,000 homes they could round up 325 or so 6 to 12-year old kids to fill a school.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

I would hope that this would be a school of the future where the students attend a physical school for socializing, sports, recreation, etc. but when classes start, the interactive TV flashes up and highly qualified teachers repetitively conduct high intensity classes via recorded media. Every grade class receives the same training at precisely the appropriate time. Exams are answered online and parents receive progress reports at regular intervals marked by computer not by hand, and delivered electronically not in a backpack.

The physical proctors would have high social skills and be trained to teach the students the pleasure of comfortable interaction, study habits, eating habits, respect towards others, etc. This part of the training might have more flexible age parameters.

ESL students would be given appropriate classes and attention depending on the need.

This would reduce the cost of education big time, and would standardize the level of education for most students, but allow for specialized learning for those that require it.

The sooner that we quit performing educational strategies the same way we did at the turn of the last century the better. The problem will be with the teachers unions. Some teachers might like the idea, but the left wing labour organizers will not. To them it is all about the contract, not about a cost effective delivery of high quality education.

#29 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

http://www.bamberton...n-Site-Plan.pdf

From this map, there's a planned location for a school. I wonder, in light of all of the recent cuts, and school closures, who is going to pay to build and operate a school? Or is it just a feel-good to help the master corporate plan along?

The school districts are making cuts as they have fewer students, but when the numbers rise they are building schools or if there is a demand in a new neighbourhood. The provincial government has a separate capital fund to build schools so building a new school is not an expense for the school district.

On a per capita basis BC school districts are well funded, what I always wonder is why the school boards seem to be unable to manage their money well and why they seem uninterested in developing any fundraising campaigns like the universities do

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

On a per capita basis BC school districts are well funded, what I always wonder is why the school boards seem to be unable to manage their money well and why they seem uninterested in developing any fundraising campaigns like the universities do

Or hospitals etc.

#31 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Because the people on the school board are elected by the population instead of the school board going into the community and paying top people to run their business. Seriously, how many people here really pay attention to the school board ballot when they are voting at the municipal election? I'll be honest, I didn't know anything about the school board trustees on the ballot at the last election so I didn't vote for anybody.

#32 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

5000 new homes. 5000 more cars on the Malahat. Oh....joy.

#33 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

That is unlikely, the number of cars on the Malahat from these 5000 houses is likely to be only 1500 to 2000 by the end of the build out in 30 years if our work patterns remain like they are today.

#34 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

Yeah see that's part of the problem. Creating a strain on the current system doesn't really affect the developer. It doesn't affect his bottom line because the issue doesn't arise until completion of sales.

#35 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yeah see that's part of the problem. Creating a strain on the current system doesn't really affect the developer. It doesn't affect his bottom line because the issue doesn't arise until completion of sales.

How is that the Developers problem anyhow? Its up to the regional government to ensure that proper infrastructure is built to keep up with the pace of growth and development, not a private business. The local governments around the Malahat have really dropped the ball in terms of looking at expansion or traffic flow solutions for the region, as it is inevitable the continued growth north of the "hat" will occur well into the future. Don't blame a responsible developer who is reclaiming a former Concrete Plant and creating a sustainable and livable community on a space that is otherwise wasted and an eyesore.

#36 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

^ Exactly, guyinthesky. Well put.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

And when they build that highway link from deep cove to Mill Bay so much of the traffic that is on the Malahat now will be removed it will be a breeze to drive.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

I wish they had allowed that bridge it would have been very cool.

#39 justaguy

justaguy

Yeah, that guy.

• 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

I'm curious, I wonder if any of the posters/respondents to this thread (besides Becky) are investors in this project via the developer's company or from the surrounding lands?

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

I'm curious, I wonder if any of the posters/respondents to this thread (besides Becky) are investors in this project via the developer's company or from the surrounding lands?

I've got a cool $2M riding on this baby. ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users