Photo

[South Cowichan Valley] Bamberton | 5,000 homes | On-hold

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

I'm curious, I wonder if any of the posters/respondents to this thread (besides Becky) are investors in this project via the developer's company or from the surrounding lands?

I'm not. I doubt that any other the others are either looking at who has posted. Maybe concord. He's kind of a dark horse that way.
;)

We review hundreds of developments on these forums. Sometimes we are for, sometimes we are against. Rarely is it unanimous,. When something good comes forward, and we all do seem to agree, it makes us all happy. Don't worry though, if they drop the ball along the way all these nice boosters will suddenly turn into vicious critics.
:)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#42 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

Bamberton: Contested Landscape

Event: Bamberton Contested Landscape
Opening Reception: Friday January 8, 7:00pm
Artists: Cedric Bomford, Nathan Bomford (Victoria)

The work reveals an interest in how architecture informs our experience and choreographs social interaction, often in ways that reveal a complex of power dynamics in operation in society at large.
- Kathleen Ritter
Curator, How Soon Is Now

Victoria - Artists Cedric and Nathan Bomford present Bamberton: Contested Landscape, a intensive installation that makes use of salvaged wood from both previous building demolitions and their previous work.

Join us for an opening reception and Artist Talk on Friday January 8 at 7:00pm. Bamberton: Contested Landscape continues through February 20.

Bamberton: Contested Landscape features the construction of an immersive installation that reuses materials from the artists building demolitions and previous work. Their installation confronts land claim issues of the Vancouver Island community of Bamberton through architectural references in the individual structures. These structures enable visitors to physically move through, over, under and around the installation, allowing for a tactile interaction with the artist’s interventionist strategies and theme of contested space. Changes in elevation and position, coupled with the physicality of weathered wood and the Bomfords’ characteristically imaginative architecture, will charge the entire space.

Both Cedric and Nathan Bomford’s previous work is associated with photography. Cedric’s recent photographic and video work examines historically charged architectural subjects in documentary style images that betray “history” by highlighting the artifice rather than the actual subjects depicted. Similarly, Nathan’s previous work consists of photographs of empty theatrical scenes devoid of specific narratives. The brothers say their new direction towards a collaborative project represents a logical progression of their previous bodies of work and shared interests. In fact, its collaborative nature has extended to their entire family as a massive amount of construction materials were gathered together from relatives’ yards on Vancouver and Bowen Islands.

Biographies

Cedric Bomford recently completed his MFA at the Malmö, Sweden, with a BFA from Emily Carr Institute in 2003. Cedric has exhibited internationally in Germany, Sweden, Iran, Taiwan and Australia, and is part of the nomadic Tehran Biennale Never Been to Tehran. Cedric was awarded the prestigious Canada Council Berlin residency at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien, beginning November 2009.
Nathan Bomford completed his MFA at the University of Victoria and his BFA, with a major in photography, at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. Nathan has exhibited in Germany and Canada.

In 2009, the Bomfords exhibited a major installation as part of How Soon Is Now at the Vancouver Art Gallery (with their father Jim Bomford). Previously, they created the installation For Fools and Traitors—Nothing at the Or Gallery in Vancouver in 2007. The Bomfords use reclaimed materials from salvaged yards and construction sites to create immersive sculptural forms and architectural spaces.

For additional information or to arrange an interview with the artists, please contact Helen Marzolf at 250.383.8833.

Open Space Arts Society
510 Fort St.
Victoria, BC
V8W 1E6

V 250-383-8833
E openspace@openspace.ca
W http://www.openspace.ca/web/

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

A reminder that the Bamberton exhibition opens tonight at Open Space. I haven't seen it yet but I know it has taken weeks to install, it is huge and you can walk inside it. It is a free event and everyone is welcome.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:00 AM

$1.5-billion Bamberton city could get started next year

25-year development would house thousands, but obstacles remain

By Andrew A. Duffy and Katie Derosa, Times Colonist May 15, 2010

A $1.5-billion proposal to build a small city on the 630-hectare Bamberton site could start taking shape this time next year, the developers say.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0o55w5UIQ

#45 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Is there that much demand in the real-estate market to sell all of those homes? Take a drive up Bear Mtn: half of the lots are still vacant, many for sale, and they are much closer to the economic centre of the region....
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Is there that much demand in the real-estate market to sell all of those homes? Take a drive up Bear Mtn: half of the lots are still vacant, many for sale, and they are much closer to the economic centre of the region....

25-year phase-in, that takes into account at least three up and down swings.

#47 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

When you start building, you want the property sold off as quickly as possible, no developer wants to get stuck with unsold product, the carrying charges will quickly eat into the profit.

I don't think the demand is there to build

#48 Builder_Bob

Builder_Bob
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

There is a huge demand for lots actually. I have a number of clients who would build if they could find an affordable lot. The vacant lots you see are already sold or listed for $300,000 or more. A nice level lot on BM for a realistic price ($250,000 or less) would go very very quicky. At $300,000 or more it makes more sense to buy a tear down dump in Fernwood on a 6000 sq/ft lot for <$400,000 and build in a real location. Much easier to sell a new home when you don't have competition in the area.

#49 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

As it stands, we are not adding housing units on the South Island fast enough to meet the existing demand.

Also, Bamberton is not the only development happening in that area. Last night I drove up to Shawnigan lake and at the south end there are some significant new subdivisions going in with space for a lot more houses.

#50 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

A reminder that the Bamberton exhibition opens tonight at Open Space. I haven't seen it yet but I know it has taken weeks to install, it is huge and you can walk inside it. It is a free event and everyone is welcome.

Wish I'd seen this when posted. Looks pretty cool. Did anyone check it out ?

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

Wish I'd seen this when posted. Looks pretty cool. Did anyone check it out ?

Robert Amos did, and didn't get it. Then he got thoroughly trashed by the arts community.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

The Bamberton opportunity

Times Colonist May 22, 2010

The proposed Bamberton development offers a rare and great opportunity to plan an entire community in advance. Most communities evolve. Mills bring workers who need housing, then close. Shopping shifts from the main street to a mall outside town. A landowner decides to sell and suddenly a new subdivision appears.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0ofLJHsSl

#53 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Looks like this project is dead ... yet again.

I have nothing against Three Point or development in general, but it is good to see the Cowichan District take a stand on this. If the developer was already going backwards on amenities then it certainly wasn't going to get any better after they had the development permit.

http://www.timescolo...4699/story.html

#54 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

The housing aspect of the project has been shelved.
They are only going forward on the commercial aspect of the project, which I am not sure how it makes any sense. They will have 24 ha of industrial land on the waterfront and 16 ha commercial on the highway

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Three Point Properties is not making much headway on a multitude of projects they have on the go around our region.

Threepoint is involved with Dockside Green, which hasn't had much action since the last phase was built; the Sawyer building on Fort is stalled; and now Bamberton has suffered a serious blow.

The company is also actively seeking buyers for its Wild Coast Cottages project in Port Renfrew and for its two Salt Spring Island projects, Bishops Walk and Bishops Green.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Three Point Properties is not making much headway on a multitude of projects they have on the go around our region.

Threepoint is involved with Dockside Green, which hasn't had much action since the last phase was built; the Sawyer building on Fort is stalled; and now Bamberton has suffered a serious blow.

The company is also actively seeking buyers for its Wild Coast Cottages project in Port Renfrew and for its two Salt Spring Island projects, Bishops Walk and Bishops Green.

Not to mention the fact that they recently sold the Columbia Fuels Building and their land and building across the street from it.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Can you clarify which parcel they sold along with the Columbia Fuels building?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

I thought Three Point got out of the Dockside project to concentrate on the Bamberton one, no?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

Three Points has no involvement with Dockside anymore. It's all VanCity.

#60 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Word on the street is that Three Point no longer has any involvement with Bamberton either.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users