Photo

Lightbulbs

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

If you're worrying about LED lighting while reading this in on your computer screen or on your phone, you probably didn't read the study in detail.  :)

i'm just now getting to may 1940 in my ww2 studies.  i'll see what france was up to soon.

• Hotel Mike and todd like this

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

trust france to come up with this.

https://medicalxpres...-authority.html

I'm more worried about the ridiculously, moronically bright blue headlights on modern cars.  

I'm sorry, you don't need high-intensity blue LED and laser headlights on your car.  

• Nparker, Matt R. and Jackerbie like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

I agree from an external perspective. From inside the car though, theu do look great.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,581 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:54 AM

The blue ones are aftermarket, no?

I do find Toyota’s lights to be the brightest and sometimes even I have to squint up in the truck when a Camry comes down the road. I can only imagine how bright it must be if you’re in a sedan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

I sometimes drive my wife's Prius and usually have oncoming traffic flash me their high beams, as they think I've left mine on.  Horribly bright.

Matt.

• todd likes this

#46 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

I've gone back to buying regular 100w incandescent bulbs from Amazon for work areas at the shop, as the LED options are many times more expensive and don't last long enough - strangely, my Hydro usage is down 6-10% monthly, yes business volume is up. 

Matt.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,581 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

Those bulbs feel like a scam, don’t they? More expensive. Unreliable. And their light can be very eerie/industrial.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

Yup, and you can’t (shouldn’t) throw them out with regular garbage. I’m done with LED’s for my sockets. We do have some recessed LED fixtures that replaced some awkward sockets where the ceiling is a bit low, but guess what happens when the LED strip dies? That’s right, throw out the whole fixture.

Matt.

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

The blue ones are aftermarket, no?

I do find Toyota’s lights to be the brightest and sometimes even I have to squint up in the truck when a Camry comes down the road. I can only imagine how bright it must be if you’re in a sedan.

Most of the new OEM lights appear like a very blue white.  Technically white, but a very cool colour temp.  Ironically, not great for driving in bad weather as blue light scatters the most in rain, fog...

Toyota lights are, IMO, some of the worst on the road.  That and Acura's "Jewel Eye" headlights that have something like 5 light sources on each side of the car.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#50 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,226 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

Trump's going off about the lightbulbs again tonight. 

"I want an incandescent light. I want to look better, ok?... I want to pay less money to look better. Does that make sense?"

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

I'm also annoyed at our new LED street lamps.  The further from yellow the colour temperature, the more the light is scattered by water, rain, fog, etc...  Any light mist on the windshield instantly obstructs vision when driving under these new lamps due to the light scattering.

#52 RFS

RFS
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

Most of the new OEM lights appear like a very blue white. Technically white, but a very cool colour temp. Ironically, not great for driving in bad weather as blue light scatters the most in rain, fog...

Toyota lights are, IMO, some of the worst on the road. That and Acura's "Jewel Eye" headlights that have something like 5 light sources on each side of the car.

I used to have one of those Corolla with the lazer beam headlight and on coming traffic used to flash their lights at me all the time thinking I had high beams on when I didn't
  • Matt R. likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,581 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

I assume/hope they’ve resolved this issue with the current generation of their models.

Regarding street lights, they’re awful, aren’t they? Combine them with the ridiculous road paint and it’s a wonder we don’t have more accidents than we already do. Or are some of them caused by this cocktail of bad design?

Know it all.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,226 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

I understand the headlight problem is when drivers retrofit their cars with the new headlights without getting them re-aimed. Each type of bulb has a specific point it needs to be aimed at. So I hear.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,581 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

Toyota’s are just unnecessarily bright, straight from the factory and properly aligned.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

I understand the headlight problem is when drivers retrofit their cars with the new headlights without getting them re-aimed. Each type of bulb has a specific point it needs to be aimed at. So I hear.

The Germans tend to do headlights better than the Japanese due to more stringent E-Code requirements (vs our DOT standards). DOT requirements however don't yet permit some of their most advanced designs so we miss out on the good stuff.

There was a time when HID retrofits into conventional reflector housings were a big thing, and these caused all sorts of problems with unnecessary glare.  Fortunately that's not as big of an issue now (most of those kids have stuffed those cars into lampposts long ago) but now having super bright, cool-white (near blue) lights is considered a 'premium' appearance feature. Too little R&D goes into making good headlights on a $25,000 car.

The big issue with retrofits isn't the aiming, it's the shape, size and position of the filament (or arc as is the case with HID bulbs) relative to the shape and size of the reflector bowls and / or projection lens.

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

Toyota’s are just unnecessarily bright, straight from the factory and properly aligned.

I've noticed that with a lot of taxis.  Or, the taxis where the drivers have gone and put in aftermarket blue lights into their reflector housings.  I thought these Class 4 drivers were better than that? :)

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,581 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

Ah yes, the UFOs as I call them.

Part of me thinks ICBC’s new sky-high insurance rates for young drivers are not such a bad idea. Maybe if they’re driving a vehicle primalrly insured by dad and driven by junior we’ll see fewer VTECs trying to fly. But I digress. Back to the lightbulbs.

Know it all.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Combine them with the ridiculous road paint and it’s a wonder we don’t have more accidents than we already do. Or are some of them caused by this cocktail of bad design?

I wonder how crashes caused by straining to see with our poor lighting and markings are recorded on the collision report form.  

This is something Lisa doesn't get.  She wants to make it safer for vulnerable road users, you don't do that by making it harder for drivers to see.

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,226 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

The big issue with retrofits isn't the aiming, it's the shape, size and position of the filament (or arc as is the case with HID bulbs) relative to the shape and size of the reflector bowls and / or projection lens.

Yes,  that is a more accurate account of what I heard.

I remember back in the horse and buggy days when you needed a new headlight you just went to Canadian Tire and bought a new bulb for ten bucks and unscrewed the chrome trim ring and put it in. Now it's this big complicated assembly that costs a thousand bucks and annoys people with glare and fogs over in a couple of years because it's all lousy plastic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users