Only one dry-cleaner downtown?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I was looking in the phone book today for a drycleaner downtown, and all I could find was China Cleaners at 611 Johnson.

I usually just use the Martinizing store at Johnson and Quadra, but
I was hoping to find one closer to my walking route this morning from the Humboldt Valley to Uptown Downtown or whatever.

So I looked in the book, nothing but China.

Anyway, so I thought, "hey, why not drop at China, they have been there forever, and although it's not the most professional looking place, they must do good work".

So I get there and the sign on the door says they are closed from Dec 24 to Jan 1st. Now, it's Jan 3rd, and they are usually open on Mondays, but it is closed. Grrrr... Don't get me going on store hours esp. aroiund Christmas... or do, I'll post in another thread. Christmas is over everyone, it was over more than a week ago - time to come back and tend your stores and banks etc. And while you are at it, New Years Eve is not an excuse to close EARLY God Damn it!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

^ I can see I need to tread lightly here. I know it was January 3rd today.....nothing special with the exception that January 1 fell on a Saturday this year and that however is a statutory holiday that is usually observed on the following Monday....just like today.

If restaurants can close for the winter, why can't the bank close on New Year's Eve at 3:00 PM.?...they used to close then everyday when we were boys. :)

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

^ I can see I need to tread lightly here. I know it was January 3rd today.....nothing special with the exception that January 1 fell on a Saturday this year and that however is a statutory holiday that is usually observed on the following Monday....just like today.

If restaurants can close for the winter, why can't the bank close on New Year's Eve at 3:00 PM.?...they used to close then everyday when we were boys. :)

Banks abuse it though. I walked by the TD at Fort/Douglas to see a young lady frantically pulling on the door, then cursing "why aren't they f-ing open?!?". Indeed, why weren't they? That branch is open on Saturdays, so logic would say they would close Saturday for NY Day. But no, they closed Saturday and today, just to piss off this young gal.

The Central Library was closed Christmas Eve, all day. Didn't even open. Why? EVERY branch is open Sundays from now until at least April, they are obviously blowing off excess budget money (we all know how governments an indeed some departments of large private-sectors do this and with the GV Libraries normally just a few open Sundays for part of the year), so there was no excuse for an X-mas Eve closure all day. Except it's nice for staff.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

The Central Library was closed Christmas Eve, all day. Didn't even open. Why? EVERY branch is open Sundays from now until at least April, they are obviously blowing off excess budget money (we all know how governments an indeed some departments of large private-sectors do this and with the GV Libraries normally just a few open Sundays for part of the year), so there was no excuse for an X-mas Eve closure all day. Except it's nice for staff.

The Central Library was indeed closed for budgetary reasons, but not because they had excess budget funds. Staff were told only a few weeks before Xmas that the library would be closed 3 additional days over the season and unless they had vacation time available to use, they would not be paid for these days.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Someone was looking at me funny today for buying Egg Nog. Christmas isn't over until the 6th ;) Drives me nuts when all the tree chipping services are before the end of Christmas.

And who uses a phone book now days? They have an app for that ;)

And since I haven't used a drycleaner for many many years, I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, so on that note, bye!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

I think you may have discovered a market opportunity here, VHF. A second cleaning operation downtown with improved holiday hours... you could be raking it in!

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

I took some pants into the one-hour Martinizing at Johnson and Quadra and they told me they'd be ready in a couple of days. I sheepishly asked if they might possibly be done in an hour instead and they made it seem like they were doing me a favour. I guess they prefer waiting until there's a full load.

Anyway, there's lots of dry cleaners in town but most are only pick-up/drop off so you might as well cut out the middleman and take it to the source. There's a place on Cook near Fort across from Bubby's that is apparently some sort of enviro cleaner.

But I haven't had anything dry cleaned in a long time. My suits are cheap and they say you shouldn't dry clean a cheap suit because it will lose its shape. Spot clean it until it's unsightly then chuck it and get another.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I agree more or less. Anyone that knows me knows I'm the king of dark or black suits, I can't see the point of a light suit unless you are chauffeur driven to your spotless office and back each day. My life is considerably dirtier.

But in this instance I had 4 shirts with fairly stiff collars and cuffs to clean. They could be machine-washed, but you are asking for trouble with them in terms of life-expectancy if you don't dry-clean them, as a machine wrecks the stiff parts. ("That's what she said!")

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

This is what I use to make things stiff again:

(ba-dum tss)

Plus, if you spray it on your hardwood floors it gets them ice-surface slippery which is good for pick-up shimmy games in your living room. I'm sure you could get some half-price Turkish knock-off at your favourite Dollar Store.

source
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

There's a dry cleaners in St. Andrew's Square. I think it's called Classy Cleaners or something like that.

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

There's a dry cleaner in St. Andrew's Square.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I am picking up internet chatter that there might be a cleaner in St Andrews Square.

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

And since when is Johnson and Quadra not Downtown?

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

I am picking up internet chatter that there might be a cleaner in St Andrews Square.

Where'd you hear that?

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

Where'd you hear that?

I keep my ear to the ground.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

And since when is Johnson and Quadra not Downtown?

It can't be, as it is WAY outside of the DVBA boundary.

I call it EastDownT. Or South West Fernwood. V V look V V Don't forget, I'm a DT authority.

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

I call [the corner of Quadra & Johnson] EastDownTown or SouthWest Fernwood.

Surely you mean suburban North Park or Harris Green West. ;)

#18 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

It can't be, as it is WAY outside of the DVBA boundary.

That map is just bizarre. The Coast Harbourside is considered downtown but the courthouse isn't.

Oh also, I think there might be a dry cleaners in St. Andrew's Square.
In chains by Keynes

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Oh also, I think there might be a dry cleaners in St. Andrew's Square.

Yup, there is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

I found confirmation of the existence of a dry cleaning place in St. Andrew's Square so we can finally put to rest the rumours, theories and speculation surrounding it's supposed existence although i'm not sure we'll ever satisfy people like George Noory and Jesse Ventura.
In chains by Keynes

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users