Police Amalgamation

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

I lived near a station some years ago and it seemed like ambulances would leave the station sirens blaring every few hours. This leads me to believe the stations are no different than police precincts situated at strategic locations throughout an urban area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Wait wait, are we confusing perhaps the renovation causing excess ambulances to be temporarily scattered among various parking lots, or are we saying that all community ambulance stations will be done away with and consolidated into the BC Buildings facility?

From a public safety and response time perspective there is absolutely no way that community ambulance stations would be haphazardly closed and consolidated like this. I'm sure we're talking about two different things here (at least I hope I'm sure).

If you read the posts again, maybe it does mean #1 here. Maybe the all eggs in one basket means that they think it's bad idea to keep all the spare vehicles there, lest a fault opens up and swallows that parking lot and all the vehicles. But it does not support the saving on leases statement.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#423 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

ON CFAX starting at 4:05pm, a whole bunch of mayors on the amalgamation topic.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#424 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well after reading all the expenses for the munis in the TC today, I think Langford will stick with the Mayor we have, for the foreseeable future.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#425 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

If you live on Denison some houses are in both municipalities. That could be good news if your house is on fire and both jurisdictions respond, or bad news if they think the other guys will get it.

For the taxi that recently drove into into Dig This at Oak Bay Ave and Foul Bay, Victoria FD attended. 

That is because the building is in Victoria one one else woudl be required to attend

But the back of the taxi was mere inches from the border which runs along the sidewalk. I think they need to equip first responders with those NFL measuring chains to be sure.

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#426 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

The Muder on Beach Drive happened in Oak Bay...they had to have Victoria and Saanich do teh complete investigation.

Last week and old man got run down by a car in Oak Bay....calls in Vic or Saanich to investigate

Today two  15 year old boys are charged in a sex crime with two 13 year old girls in an Oak Bay School   Saanich Police are called into do the investigation

What going on here are Oak Bay cops not trained to to anything other than handcuff an old man and make him bleed from the wrists after a parking infraction?

#427 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:59 AM

Private deer hit squad.

Wise Victoria Mortgages - Offering honest & reliable mortgage advice to Victorians.

www.wisevictoria.com - 225 Dundas Street at the corner of Bay and Catherine - 250 388 9473

#428 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

You know how rich gated communities in the US have their own security guards with little to do but harass people over local HOA bylaws?  That's basically the oak bay police, but they get taxes to do it.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

In all seriousness, other than road patrol and the odd domestic violence call, what do the OBPD's calls consist of? Is there any source for that information?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#430 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

You can skim through the news releases on their website. Looks like lots of petty theft, child seat clinics, that sort of stuff.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#431 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've always wondered how OBPD officers feel about their job. Is it considered a cushy placement, or is it just incredibly denigrating to not actually do any real police work?

#432 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I've always wondered how OBPD officers feel about their job. Is it considered a cushy placement, or is it just incredibly denigrating to not actually do any real police work?

I would think it would be awful to be a police officer who is basically a glorified security guard.

Then on the other hand, maybe the low risk police lifestyle suits some cops just perfectly.

#433 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Could it be that Oak Bay residents are better behaved and have more respect for their local police officers.

It is easy to single out various incidents to rag on the Oak Bay Police.

If you look at what is happening in the RCMP, or the revolving door of Victoria's controversial chiefs, or the highly publicised UTube video of a Victoria Police member, what is happening in Oak Bay is little to be concerned about.

Having Saanich Police show up in Oak Bay to photograph and document an accident is nothing new. Sometimes you can have police from the mainland assist Victoria Police in their investigations.

Why not start a thread to profile some of the many good thinks our local police accomplish?  Cops for Cancer comes to mind.

• rjag and stormy like this

#434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Could it be that Oak Bay residents are better behaved and have more respect for their local police officers...

Could it be that Oak Bay has little in the way of late night venues, drinking establishments, an older population and for its residents who do engage in less savoury behaviour they probably do so outside of the arbitrary boundaries of its municipal borders?

• tedward likes this

#435 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

What you said is untrue

If a pedestrian is hit in a victoria crosswalk the victiria police do not and have not called in a lower mainland dept to document or investigate

#436 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

One thing I have learned in all my years of having police friends is they are very approachable....why don't you call and ask them? I'm sure they will be happy to provide answers.

As it happens I know a few of the OBPD, one has extensive experience in youth issues and the other was a senior detective both from VicPD. There is probably more depth of experience at this department than in many RCMP dpts. They have a small budget and focus it on certain areas and contract out for other areas.

My personal opinion is that they should merge with either Victoria or Saanich...but I'm only one voice in the wilderness....

Edited by rjag, 06 February 2014 - 11:08 AM.

• Baro, Nparker and Bingo like this

#437 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sometimes you can have police from the mainland assist Victoria Police in their investigations.

I am not suggesting that happens for traffic incidents.

Various police forces co-operate with each other regarding criminals from the mainland that are also working in Victoria.

There are also times when an internal investigation in the department requires an out of jurisdiction police department to conduct it.

• Mike K. likes this

#438 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

They are security guards for the rich, they even advertise the fact. What other department does this?

https://www.oakbay.c...-patrol-program

• Baro likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#439 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I am not suggesting that happens for traffic incidents.

Various police forces co-operate with each other regarding criminals from the mainland that are also working in Victoria.

There are also times when an internal investigation in the department requires an out of jurisdiction police department to conduct it.

This applies to all police forces across the world, not just to the Victoria Police Department.

The issue with the OBPD is they seem to have no wherewithal or resources to conduct any investigation above and beyond the most standard of cases. And even then there have been cases where charges were never laid due to an investigation fumble (Owen Padmore murder investigation and the death of Hannah Magden, struck by a taxi cab). And then there was the controversy about the handling of domestic violence issues that culminated in that tragic murder-suicide.

Now keeping all of that in mind Oak Bay must have the highest per-capita murder rate over the last 15 years of all of the CRD's municipalities (6 murders: 4 killed by suicidal man; 1 botched robbery; 1 assault leading to death).

Know it all.

#440 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

I would think it would be awful to be a police officer who is basically a glorified security guard.

Then on the other hand, maybe the low risk police lifestyle suits some cops just perfectly.

I wonder if Oak Bay could save money if they just hired a private security firm to do their policing?

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users