• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,667 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

-52C was the coldest I experienced when living in Edmonton. Pfff.

Yet some people here in Dysfunction by the Sea will persist in the claim that the End of Civilization as we know it looms whenever temps locally "plunge" to -3C because, well don't you know, its a "different kind of cold". Horse droplets! Sure its a crappy and somewhat miserable damp kind of cold but - really - are they comparing Saanich or View Royal to Winnipeg or Foam Lake SK in mid-winter? Seriously?!

My wee little 84 year old mother-in-law from Regina routinely endures frigid prairie temperatures at or below - 50 C and has done for a half century plus without complaint or fuss. Her attitude? "Its just weather...what's the big deal?" LOL.

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Yet some people here in Dysfunction by the Sea will persist in the claim that the End of Civilization as we know it looms whenever temps locally "plunge" to -3C because, well don't you know, its a "different kind of cold". Horse droplets! Sure its a crappy and somewhat miserable damp kind of cold but - really - are they comparing Saanich or View Royal to Winnipeg or Foam Lake SK in mid-winter? Seriously?!

My wee little 84 year old mother-in-law from Regina routinely endures frigid prairie temperatures at or below - 50 C and has done for a half century plus without complaint or fuss. Her attitude? "Its just weather...what's the big deal?" LOL.

Those pioneers went out with no shoes and walked 10 miles to school up hill both ways, and when they went to the outhouse in the winter,

they took the axe to knock the top of the cone off so they could sit down. Yes they were tough in the good old days.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:11 AM

Somehow I figured the storm in the East could never possibly live up to its enormous billing.  Now a whole bunch of productivity was cancelled due to the forecast.  Airports that only got 2" of snow have no flights in or out today because airlines cancelled them 48 hours ago.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

New York and New Jersey have now lifted their travel ban, or at least they have re-activated the buses and subways (that never needed to be closed in the first place).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

Times Square this morning:

ef417.png

http://www.earthcam....re/?cam=tsrobo3

...and presumably if there had been any traffic at all, all that snow would be gone.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,009 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

Maybe CNN's "Blizzardmobile" scared all the snow up to Boston?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:10 AM

And now the "monster hurricane" was a dud.  The media really has to tamp it down a bit.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,578 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

Did global warming cause the storm, or the lack of any major damage?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,820 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Not a dud. Just lucky it didn't hit any large population centers.
  • http and sebberry like this

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Not a dud. Just lucky it didn't hit any large population centers.

Maybe.  Maybe we should have seen then the percentage chance it was going to hit Vallarta hard.  Was it 2%?  5%?  25%?  Listening to media, they made it seem like 50% or better. 

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,578 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

Oh they insisted is was a Vallarta storm. Oops.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Nothing wrong with them being prepared.  Seeing these things days in advance is what means that we won't see 1,500 deaths like we might have in 1946.  But come on, give us more details about the actual chance of if being a killer.  This thing was billed as the largest hurricane in the history of the world and it was useless.

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

No wonder residents don't pay much attention to the warnings, I mean I saw some guy hammering a piece of plywood over his window with a couple of nails which would have been useless if a 200mph wind picks up the whole house.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

No wonder residents don't pay much attention to the warnings, I mean I saw some guy hammering a piece of plywood over his window with a couple of nails which would have been useless if a 200mph wind picks up the whole house.

Would he have been better off to nail down the foundation with those nails?

#35 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

A newly constructed bridge in northern Ontario has reportedly split apart in the cold, closing the Trans-Canada highway — the only road connecting Eastern and Western Canada — indefinitely.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.3397831

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

A newly constructed bridge in northern Ontario has reportedly split apart in the cold, closing the Trans-Canada highway — the only road connecting Eastern and Western Canada — indefinitely.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.3397831

Built by Canam who built the Pitt River Bridge.

http://www.canambridges.com/projects/

#37 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,820 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:59 PM

Sometimes I wish we could split the country that easily.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

Another false alarm, or the real deal nasty weather forecast?

A nasty snowstorm is expected to bury the Washington, D.C., area beginning Friday, and possibly surpass totals for a benchmark 1922 storm.

The National Weather Service on Wednesday said it expected between 12" and 24" of snow to fall in the District of Columbia, Baltimore and surrounding counties by late Saturday.

Those totals could be adjusted up or down depending on the exact track of the storm, which is targeting the mid-Atlantic region.

CNN meteorologist Tom Sater says a computer model shows the capital will be the bull's-eye for up to 30" of snow by Sunday.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ther/index.html

#39 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,252 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

I think spring just arrived here today.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,009 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:00 AM

I think spring just arrived here today.

No kidding.  I was driving around with no jacket on and the windows rolled down.  In the middle of January.  In Canada. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users