- - - - -

Pacific Mazda?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Has anyone here dealt with Pacific Mazda? We are thinking of getting a Mazda 3 Sport, maybe new, maybe used, and I was wondering if anyone had dealt with a good salesman or manager at the local dealer. I note their online used prices seem a tad optimistic compared to black book values - I'd prefer no haggle pricing, but I guess they do what they have to do.

#2 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Has anyone here dealt with Pacific Mazda? We are thinking of getting a Mazda 3 Sport, maybe new, maybe used, and I was wondering if anyone had dealt with a good salesman or manager at the local dealer. I note their online used prices seem a tad optimistic compared to black book values - I'd prefer no haggle pricing, but I guess they do what they have to do.

I have, but only their service department. I found them to be no more or no less of a ripoff than other dealership service departments (to be clear, they were a ripoff).

Those are fairly common cars; can I ask why you don't consider purchasing privately?

#3 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

^ Oh, I absolutely would consider a private sale.

But the dealer has all the three year old lease returns, and therefore a good supply of stock in the age range I am interested in (<50k km, >=2007), so it seemed smart to look there. The new models also have a better transmission that might make buying new desirable.

#4 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

^ Oh, I absolutely would consider a private sale.

But the dealer has all the three year old lease returns, and therefore a good supply of stock in the age range I am interested in (<50k km, >=2007), so it seemed smart to look there. The new models also have a better transmission that might make buying new desirable.

There are a few on craigslist/usedvic right now. I'd also consider going to Vancouver, where there are tonnes. If you're willing to put in the effort, I feel that private sales outweigh dealer purchases most of the time.

I have a cousin who worked at a major dealership in Vancouver. Cars that come in off-lease or trade are cleaned up a little and mechanical problems are masked. The assumption that most folks make is that dealers will stand behind their used cars. Once it's off the lot, though, it's pretty much your problem (unless it's the, "it happened on the way home from the dealer" scenario. I find that you're much better off buying private because you get an idea of the individual that owned and drove the car - especially one owner cars. And nothing beats having it inspected by your own, trusted mechanic.

It's a shame that you hadn't posted this a few weeks back - there's a beautiful white Mazda 3 Sport on my street that was for sale. Perhaps they wanted too much, because the sign is gone and the car is still there.

#5 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

^ Not to out your address but there was a white MazdaSpeed 3 in South Central Cook Street Village that I saw with a sign on it. A turbo would be fun, but probably not where we want to be in the zoom-zoom versus reliability/gas mileage spectrum.

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Try using a broker like Michael Flynn from PS Leasing. I've had great success using him,www.pslease.com give him a call, he's pretty easy going will ask you what you have sourced and if its through a dealer he can negotiate on your behalf. if he can save you money he will and his fee is $600 or so.....

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

We bought a Mazada 5 from them just about three years ago and our experience has been decent

#8 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

^ Not to out your address but there was a white MazdaSpeed 3 in South Central Cook Street Village that I saw with a sign on it. A turbo would be fun, but probably not where we want to be in the zoom-zoom versus reliability/gas mileage spectrum.

It is definitely white; although I thought it was a Mazda 3 Sport, and not the turboed out Mazdaspeed. I'll have to give another look when I take the dog out tonight.

We bought a Mazada 5 from them just about three years ago and our experience has been decent

Bernard, I have a line on a 2002 Mazda Protege5 (the sport wagon), manual, AC, sunroof and very low kms for just south of $5k. Do you have the sport wagon and if so, any words of wisdom?

#9 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Bought a used 2001 Tribute off them in 2003 with very little miles, got a decent deal and have had little trouble with the vehicle and I still have it. (knock on wood). The times I have brought it in for servicing have been quite pleasant. I'd give them a thumbs up.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

The only problem with the Mazda 3 is that people like to kick the doors in near the handle. Other than the big dent, it's a nice looking little car. Not so sure I'd take the Mazdaspeed 3 however.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

We bought a Mazda 5 about 3 years ago there as well. It was a fair and decent experience. Even though I thought and still think the car is fugly.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

The only problem with the Mazda 3 is that people like to kick the doors in near the handle.

Huh? Like maliciously or by accident?

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Huh? Like maliciously or by accident?

I think it was the 2004-2006 models. There was a defect with the lock mechanism that would unlock the door if hit really hard. Thieves figured this out pretty quickly and I guess the word spread. Usually it takes a good kick to the door near the handle to open it.

This leaves a sizable dent in the door. I've seen countless 3's with shoe-size dents in the driver's door.

Mazda came up with a fix for the problem but since the word on the street that the 3 was easy to kick open, even the fixed cars were still being kicked and dented up.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

That's crazy. The things you learn on VV :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

^ Yeah - very interesting. However, a bit of poking around indicates that they fixed the problem in 2008, including a factory service order on the older cars, so I think the denting has stopped. Fortunately, we also have secured parking.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

^ Yeah - very interesting. However, a bit of poking around indicates that they fixed the problem in 2008, including a factory service order on the older cars, so I think the denting has stopped. Fortunately, we also have secured parking.

Well while the problem has been addressed, if you do get one of those cars you can still expect someone to try and kick it open anyway since there's no way to tell if it has been upgraded.

Or just buy one already dented so there's no surprise one day when you return to the car :P

#17 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Now how would anyone come up with that? Did they kick doors on every brand of car to see if one would open?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Now how would anyone come up with that? Did they kick doors on every brand of car to see if one would open?

I don't know, I'm not a crook :P

#19 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

Been dealing with Pacific Mazda service department over the years on my 2000 MPV. I've always found them fair and offered the expensive/less expensive choice on certain repairs.

#20 Yippy Ki A

Yippy Ki A
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

A friend bought a used car from them about three years ago. Paid more than she was hoping to spend, poor offer on her trade in so she sold it privately. Very happy with how they have treated her, stood behind the car so to speak, since.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users