Speed and Frances, west tower
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 606 Speed Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 12
Condo units: (loft, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
Speed and Frances, west tower, is a 12-storey residential building with 83 condos, six townhomes and ground fl... (view full profile)
Learn more about Speed and Frances, west tower on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside/Gorge] Speed and Frances towers | condos; commercial | 12 & 12-storeys | Cancelled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
255 replies to this topic

#81 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Really if these were schemed with some cold blues greys and perhaps a spash of strong red they would look so much better. Peachy beige should just be illegal.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#82 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

The T-C is reporting that this project will now include one (oversized) storey of commercial and 9 floors of residential in each tower. The affordable housing component has been dropped.

http://www.timescolo...8620/story.html

#83 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

The T-C is reporting that this project will now include one (oversized) storey of commercial and 9 floors of residential in each tower. The affordable housing component has been dropped.

Well... there goes the Burnside Gorge Community Association's support for the project I bet.

#84 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

I wouldn't count on it, community associations and the city have consistently chosen reduced height over affordability every time.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#85 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

:confused:

#86 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

The article talks about one of the buildings remaining largely rentals which would help with affordable housing in this city.

I like the idea of more street front commercial and the walkway through to Speed street.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

I am confused. Street front commercial on Frances Street? Why? I would suggest going residential townhouses all along bottom of the building. There is enough commercial space in this area unless there is some plan for Frances Street that I am unaware of.

It has a whole new look!

#88 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Well, it's a block in either direction to find a coffee shop, so clearly there is a need for at least that. :D

And the empty Cornell Chev-Olds, old ICI Paint store, and Pantry Restaurant in no way indicate an over-supply of commercial property in the area. :P

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

^ Exactly my thinking. Adding this much residential will surely work to fill those current vacant spaces but we should not then dilute the space more by adding superfluous commercial space.

It has a whole new look!

#90 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Perhaps a new type of commercial space is needed in the neighbourhood.

#91 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Dylan shouldn't you be at some sort of crazy euro dance bar? :)

It has a whole new look!

#92 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

The article talks about one of the buildings remaining largely rentals which would help with affordable housing in this city.

I like the idea of more street front commercial and the walkway through to Speed street.

But you can't equate renting to affordable housing. They aren't one in the same.
The point was the developer was going to work with a nonprofit, but lost 50 units in the redesign.
To me that's two strikes in the wrong direction. Less units and less affordable (subsidized) ones.

#93 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Dylan shouldn't you be at some sort of crazy euro dance bar? :)

I think he misses us. :)

#94 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Haven't made it to Berlin yet. ;-)

I wanted to find out more about the non-profit that was involved with this project but the TC article linked to from the first page of this thread with that information no longer works. :-(

#95 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Haven't made it to Berlin yet. ;-)

I wanted to find out more about the non-profit that was involved with this project but the TC article linked to from the first page of this thread with that information no longer works. :-(

http://www2.canada.c...d9-8ab9444cc75f

#96 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I still think Dylan still misses us.

#97 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

But you can't equate renting to affordable housing. They aren't one in the same.
The point was the developer was going to work with a nonprofit, but lost 50 units in the redesign.
To me that's two strikes in the wrong direction. Less units and less affordable (subsidized) ones.

I personally think market rate rentals are a better way to provide lower rents than subsidized housing. There will always be a need for some people to have access to subsidized housing but it is not something that should be the primary source of new rentals. The more people that need access to subsidized housing the harder it is for the ones that really need it to get in.

With enough market rentals the rents in this city will not rise. We need a higher vacancy rate to keep rents down. We have had very few rental buildings constructed in this city in the last generation. Individual condos for rent do not cut it.

The buildings may not have as many units as before, but it will still be a higher density than more or less anything else in the area. At the moment we have nothing of significance in that location

#98 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I am confused. Street front commercial on Frances Street? Why? I would suggest going residential townhouses all along bottom of the building. There is enough commercial space in this area unless there is some plan for Frances Street that I am unaware of.

Well, regardless of whether it's needed, there are currently no homes fronting Frances St., so commercial along the bottom would be consistent with the rest of the street.

I'm not sure how well a town home with a view of the Metro repair shop would sell.

#99 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

There are lots of examples of ground floor townhouses downtown. The 834 Johnson townhouses faces the old BC Tel Building not exactly beautiful also I am betting that in time the Metro site will be redeveloped especially if this project moves forward.

It has a whole new look!

#100 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I personally think market rate rentals are a better way to provide lower rents than subsidized housing. There will always be a need for some people to have access to subsidized housing but it is not something that should be the primary source of new rentals. The more people that need access to subsidized housing the harder it is for the ones that really need it to get in.

With enough market rentals the rents in this city will not rise. We need a higher vacancy rate to keep rents down. We have had very few rental buildings constructed in this city in the last generation. Individual condos for rent do not cut it.

The buildings may not have as many units as before, but it will still be a higher density than more or less anything else in the area. At the moment we have nothing of significance in that location

Subsidized was never considered primary. It was in addition to market rent.
You have to qualify for subsidized in the first place. So it is there for those who need it/qualify.
The bottom line is we simply don't have enough affordable housing let alone subsidized!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users