Chaos in Egypt

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Egyptologists fear for relics amid unrest

(CNN) -- Egypt's major archaeological sites, monuments and museums were under the protection of the country's army on Monday, according to the nation's Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Friday night, a group of "criminals" entered the Cairo Museum using a fire department staircase, Zahi Hawass, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, told CNN early Sunday.

Once inside the museum, they went to the Late Period gallery, Hawass wrote. "When they found no gold, they broke 13 vitrines (glass showcases) and threw the antiquities on the floor."

The intruders then went back to the gallery housing artifacts from King Tutankhamun's tomb, where they opened one showcase, broke a statue of King Tut on a panther and threw it to the ground, he wrote.

http://edition.cnn.c...dex.html?hpt=T2

Oil prices rise on Egypt unrest

NEW YORK (AP) - A key global oil price contract topped $100 per barrel on Monday for the first time since 2008, as investors kept an anxious eye on Egypt and worried about unrest there disrupting the flow of oil from the Middle East.
While Egypt is not a major oil-producing country, each day about two million barrels of oil pass through the Suez Canal and an adjacent pipeline, both of which are controlled by Egypt. The Suez remains open and shipping has not been interrupted.

http://www.fox10tv.c...t11-jgr_3708345

International agreements require Egypt to keep the Suez Canal open even for warships. Read more from a previous story:

http://www.israelnat...ews.aspx/138164

Internet and cell phone service to be shut down.

Tanks are parked at the pyramids.

Trains to be shut down.

Egypt is the worlds largest importer of wheat, getting much of it from Canada

#2 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

President Obama was in Cairo for high-level discussions with President Mubarek last week. Obama says, "Hosni, it's time for you to say goodbye to the people of Egypt." Mubarek answers, "Why? Where are they going?"

#3 Yippy Ki A

Yippy Ki A
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

President Obama was in Cairo for high-level discussions with President Mubarek last week. Obama says, "Hosni, it's time for you to say goodbye to the people of Egypt." Mubarek answers, "Why? Where are they going?"

:D

That is funny.

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

A guy I know in egypt has been posting now that the internet is back up.

Highlights include:

Pro-Democracy protesters are incredibly organized and remarkably disciplined. They have set up first aid stations, have supply lines, and look after the women and children. Even wounded enemies are taken back to aid stations and given help. They've set up security checkpoints and check people's ID's to make sure they aren't police trying to sneak in to cause trouble (which is a big problem right now)

He lives in the suburbs and at night groups of police and government paid thugs roam and cause trouble. Burning, looting, generally causing chaos so people on the fence think "well at least we had stability in the dictatorship".

They've caught and disarmed many of these groups, surrounding them with superior numbers and forcing them to give up. Once searched, police ID's always turn up and the thugs admit to receiving about $20-100 from the police to cause trouble.

5 people on his street have died, 1 friend committed suicide from the stress of it all.

Government demanded the cell phone companies send out mass pro-dictator spams. 2 of the companies refused, Vodaphone agreed and sent out spam to their customers.

Despite the government pulling out the stops and hiring criminals and thugs to cause trouble, the pro-democracy forces have been showing amazing restraint and have not fallen for their trap to escalate the violence.

Hired thugs have orders to target journalists and destroy any cameras and attack news crews, the protesters have been trying to shield and protect them.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

With Tunisia and Egypt, I am hoping this is the Arabic world's 1989. The dictators in the Arabic world have managed to keep the people poor. The repression of labour activists and homosexuals in most of the Arabic world is horrific.

There are some protests in Jordan as well now.

The funny thing in the Arabic world is that the only country they free speech and free elections in is Israel Israeli Arabs. Think about it, Israel is the best country in the Arabic world for basic human rights.

#6 YOYO

YOYO
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

The funny thing in the Arabic world is that the only country they free speech and free elections in is Israel Israeli Arabs. Think about it, Israel is the best country in the Arabic world for basic human rights.

That's sad considering Israel is ran by serial killers

#7 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Israel is the best country in the Arabic world for basic human rights.

Except for Arabs - they are used for target practice.

Israel is ran by serial killers

Agreed.

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 4,990 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

Really? You believe that right?

How many jewish or Israeli suicide bombers have we seen? How many public beheadings do you see in Israel? How many women are stoned to death because they were raped in Israel? How many fatwas or death threats have been issued by Israel, or their most radical Rabbi's because someone critcised them?

Sure Israel is not perfect no-one is disputing that fact, but believing Israelies are serial killers and spawn of satan etc.....give me a break.

If you had a choice between living in Iran or Israel and you werent muslim or jewish and have daughters where would you choose?

If you were to stand on a public street corner and proclaim you were homosexual in Iran or Israel what would happen?

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,794 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Yes that one gets my vote for possibly the most ill-informed and naive view of the world, VV forum board 'comment of the year'.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

Whatever you think of Israel, this is the only country where Arab citizens are allowed to vote in free elections, the only country in which they have freedom of religion, the only country they are allowed to join unions, the only country they can express their sexuality, and the only country with a free press.

This is the best situation legal situation for Arabs in the Arabic world.

Israel is the bastion of freedom for Arabs in the Arabic world, that is how bad the other countries are.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

How do you define serial killer? I think you are using a definition I am not previously aware of.

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

Yes that one gets my vote for possibly the most ill-informed and naive view of the world, VV forum board 'comment of the year'.

Got my vote!

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,794 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

Back to the original topic though, I would be curious what YOYO was driving at - that Netanyahu is an ex-soldier and ex-commander of an elite Israeli commando group? So what? Egypt has effectively been run by its military for nearly 50 years. Looks to me like that hasn't worked out so well for them, doesn't it?

And given the corruption and general unrest today in much of the Arab world and some of the crazies running those countries - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad anyone? Or who can forget about Muammar Gaddafi who apparently refers to himself these days as the "Brotherly Leader and Guide of the Revolution" <oh please....> - in addition to the very tight restrcitions imposed on their citizenry as noted by Rjag - the Israelis look like vertitable saints by comparison.

If you want to look at Serial Killers and Psychopaths running national states YOYO perhaps we could look closer at, oh I don't know, maybe North Korea? Or is the Communist World View perhaps a little too close to your heart and therefore above reproach? Last time I checked unlike that sad-sack Stalinist joke of a State, the Israelis among other things haven't killed or starved millions of their own citiziens in order to buy tanks, and heavy guns or ammunition.....

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

Mubarak resigns as head of Egypt's ruling party

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/wo...l#ixzz1D6OOEyqc

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like he learned a lesson from Ceausescu: hang around too long and you might end up with a bullet in your head.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

Democracy is nice, but IMO the Egyptian people will elect an overtly religious, fundamentalist, Israel hating government. It's what the people will want. I don't think this will help stabilize the country, region or world at all.

Mubarak is no saint, but he has kept that country stable for three decades. Yes he has governed via the police and military. Yes there are undercover cops who do horrible things.

But, their economy is exploding. The growth is incredible. Mubarak helped foster this growth. Up until a week ago, Egypt was a safe place for citizens and visitors. I don't know if this will return. For a region that is a mess, Egypt has been in pretty good shape.

Everything in Egypt is extremely heavily subsidised. Gas, electricity, fuel, food...the list goes on and on. Yet the people want more. I don't know how a democratically elected government will be able to provide more.

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Who needs fox news north when we've got jonny to let us know about the very dangerous idea of giving browns democracy. Gotta keep em under a brutal dictatorship for "stability".
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,794 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

Nonetheless to the biggger picture and a point he briefly touched on: if Mubarak's successors do in fact turn out to be supported by the Muslim Brotherhood or some other equally 'fundamentalist' movement, that would have the potential to be very bad for the Middle East since a stable Egypt-Israel relationship is the linchpin upon which they all depend for (general) peace in the region.

In large part that mutual respect and stability between Cairo and Jerusalim is why in the last 25-30 years we have not seen a general conflict involving latter occur. No doubt there have been many many late night calls between Israel and Washington DC in the last few days and weeks.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Who needs fox news north when we've got jonny to let us know about the very dangerous idea of giving browns democracy. Gotta keep em under a brutal dictatorship for "stability".

Yup, my thoughts too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 rjag

rjag
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

But what he says pretty well defines that part of the world. Not all groups can handle our western version of democracy with their current way of thinking. It took us hundreds of years to separate church from state and I think thats what has given us our current version of democracy. Just look at the countries in that region and the more religious controls the less democracy.

You cant have democracy when you have theocracy, Egypt had neither, more of a military junta. Mubarek ruled with an iron fist, I dont question that and disagree with it, but he has kept islamic extremism under control. He needs to be replaced, theres no doubt about that but can they do so without causing a regional flare-up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users