49 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 4,879 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Mubarak Family May Have as Much as $70 Billion Stashed Away, Experts Estimate

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=12821073

That'll buy a few double doubles at Timmy's!

#42 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Mubarek resigned today. For those who haven't been keeping up with events in Egypt, this helpful site answers your questions about the official status of Mubarek's presidency.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

I also think we give too much credit to these people wanting democracy. We assume thats what they want because its what we have.

There is a reason that there is massive immigration to Europe or North America from the Middle East, and very little the other way around.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

There is a reason that there is massive immigration to Europe or North America from the Middle East, and very little the other way around.

It’s ‘cause the traffic in Cairo is so bad, right?

Seriously though, I hope they get the whole overthrowing of the government thing sorted out as smoothly as possible. I’m not confident the next guy will be any better but I hope so. I have close family and friends living and working in Egypt so stability is very important to me. I really hope that the religious fanatics and extremists don’t get more of a hold because that would be bad for everyone.

#45 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

In a democracy extremists can not function well. Extremists need to have serious restrictions on basic human rights to be able to do their 'thing'.

In general Egypt is a well educated society, the problem has been that as is typical of a dictatorship, the kleptocracy has held back the nation. Long term democracies have out preformed dictatorships in economic growth and especially when it comes to reduction of poverty.

There will be a crucial ten years now for the nation. If the civil society can outlast/overcome the military, thieves, gang leaders (aka Mubarak;s buddies) and religious fanatics, the nation will be on its way to being a fully functioning democracy.

#46 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Here's a great interactive map on how pro-democracy protests are affecting the middle east.

#47 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

Maybe one day it will spread here, here's hoping!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

Oil prices surge 7% on Libya unrest

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Oil prices jumped 7% Tuesday, spiking as high as $98 a barrel, as the crisis in Libya sparked concern that the turmoil roiling the Middle East could spread to other producing countries -- including Saudi Arabia.

The unrest in Libya has entered its eighth day, fueled by protestors against dictator Moammar Gadhafi's 42-year reign and high unemployment. At least 233 people have been killed since protests began, according to Human Rights Watch.

http://money.cnn.com...ndex.htm?hpt=T1

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Al Qaeda the loser in Arab revolutions

By Peter Bergen, CNN National Security Analyst

"Egyptians are not clamoring for Taliban-like rule. Quite the reverse: They want elections, respect for human rights, and a plan to get Egypt's stagnant economy back on its feet.
And the protests in Cairo were notable for the warm relations that were exhibited between Christians and Muslims. Al Qaeda regards Christians as "infidels" who should be killed.
"The revolts in the Middle East underline al Qaeda's increasing irrelevance to Muslims. Even before the revolutionaries first took to the streets of Tunisia, al Qaeda was losing the "war of ideas" in the Islamic world."
From Indonesia to Jordan, support for bin Laden, al-Qaeda and its signature tactic -- the suicide attack -- has been plunging for years, according to any number of polls.

read more;
http://edition.cnn.c...dex.html?hpt=C2

#50 Wayne

Wayne
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

http://www.msn.com/e...lz?ocid=DELLDHP

A new capital city for Egypt with a price tag of 45 billion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users