Photo

Pizza

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 <avril>

<avril>
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

Boston Pizza is discusting...well, thats what my mom thinks anyway. One of my favourite places is the one downtown, and the pizza is really cheap...I think it's something like "Two slice Pizza" or something....does anyone know what the name is :?:

#22 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

You're thinking Second Slice, <avril>, there's two of them on Douglas.

I like Pacific Rim's Popeye, but my favourite pizza comes out of my oven :)

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Anyone tried the pizza from the place in View Royal right beside the fire hall? It's called Godfather's Pizza or something like that...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

I actually really like Second Slice Pizza too. I think it is the thin crust. It is good with parmesan sprinkled on. Yum in fact, I think I just found my poor man's answer to my Langos craving.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 Amy Grace

Amy Grace
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

I love the chicken pizza with raisins from Ali Baba's. I haven't had it in a while, but the last time it was super tasty.

I'm definitely partial to homemade pizza (my mum has made it for stay-at-home movie nights since we first got a VCR, and even now when I go home I like to do that) but The Joint gets an honourable mention, for sure.

Also, 5th Street Bar and Grill. They have some seriously delicious pizza, cooked in a woodfire oven.

#26 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

You're thinking Second Slice, <avril>, there's two of them on Douglas.

Actually, I think there's only one now...the one next to travelcuts has left the building!

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

It's still there...they just moved down a couple doors where the fried chicken place used to be.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:20 AM

How about those big and cheap slices at Costco in Langford?

#29 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

Just barf waiting to happen. Worst slice ever.

How about those big and cheap slices at Costco in Langford?

#30 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

I still have not found my New York style slice. I'm concluding that it does not exist in this area. I suppose I have to settle for Romeo's and Boston Pizza.

Look, I'm obviously twisted because I thought the Costco Pepperoni slice was tasty and that they got the sauce recipe just right.

Everything I try is just too doughy and bready - Ali Baba being a prime example. To me the Pizza Hut outlets here are doing something wrong -- just terrible pizza. Yet the Pizza Hut in the Vancouver airport tastes great. How can there be such variation in a chain?

And the Hothouse slice in Vic West that G-man likes was just no good at all IMHO. Still looking...

#31 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

Here's a curious research site apparently created by one of the Mavrikos boys:

http://www.geog.ubc.... ... /emavriko/

God what a small world - I was in that class with him...Yes it was a real assignment - term project for a GIS class.

#32 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

I still have not found my New York style slice.

Meh. NY style pizza leaves me unimpressed (and don't even get me started on real -- i.e., in Italy -- Neapolitan pizza!), so you & I would probably have to clarify terms before we could agree on what's a good pizza. Once, many years ago, we met up with some friends from Vancouver -- he a native New Yorker, who was going to show up some great NYC places to have pizza. Well, we all agreed that it was kinda blah. Point?: even in NY, you might get junk fare. The only difference is that there they expect you to complain if it's crap. Here, you complain, and they treat you like you're crap!

Look, I'm obviously twisted because I thought the Costco Pepperoni slice was tasty and that they got the sauce recipe just right.

We used to live someplace else, and my son still swears by Costco pizza. Maybe you guys ate at the same one? :-) My favourite at the Costco we used to go to were the [url=http://www.hebrewnational.com/index.jsp:6a9a3]Hebrew National[/url:6a9a3] hot dogs. Oh g_d, how I wish I could get those in Langford!

Everything I try is just too doughy and bready - Ali Baba being a prime example. To me the Pizza Hut outlets here are doing something wrong -- just terrible pizza. Yet the Pizza Hut in the Vancouver airport tastes great. How can there be such variation in a chain?

And the Hothouse slice in Vic West that G-man likes was just no good at all IMHO. Still looking...

I totally agree. What we get here is Greek pizza (I love Greece, I love the "th" sound of the Greek language [it's totally sexy], I love the Greeks -- ok?, no slur intended: I have just often heard the doughy thick crust variety referred to as "Greek pizza"), and I long to find a place that does both the thin crust and the take out / home delivery / by-the-slice. What?, like that's asking too much?

I make my own: pizza peel, pizza stone, cornmeal for sliding, Bob's yer uncle.

Once upon a time there was something called "Noo's Pizzaria" (or something like that) in Market Square that made a thin-crust great-tasting pizza. And in Vancouver, White Tower Pizza (somewhere on lower Robson?, it has been decades:sorry!) made a thin-crust tasty concoction. Med Grill does a good thin-crust pizza, mid-range pricing (but forget by-the-slice or low rent, of course) (although I have to say that I'm convinced I got food-poisoning at Med Grill on Fort, and the atmosphere is too snooty for my liking). But then, speaking of haute pricing, someone told me just yesterday that Hugo's does a brilliant thin-crust pizza on one particular day of the week (Tuesdays?), and it's not too expensive.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

5th Street Bar and Grill I tell ya! Best thin crust pizza around!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#34 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

^ I must try Fifth Street -- it has been recommended from so many sources now... It's my old neighbourhood, too... Ah, nostalgia...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

Hugo's used to make good pizza but now they've turned into an Asian fusion place and their pizza pies ain't what they used to be.

Know it all.

#36 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:42 AM

The fifth street bar and grill pizza is good, but they use cooked/sliced tomatoes instead of sauce and the crust is hard and crunchy. The distinction I'm looking for is in the taste. It's a soft, thin crust with a sweet tomato sauce, mozarella cheeze and a bit of basil and garlic. If you've ever had it, you'd know what I mean. It's simple and delicious - and unforgetttable.

I've had "real" pizza in Italy. It may be authentic, but that taste is so different and alien than what I'm used to. I just didn't like it.

I've actually eaten Chinese food in China too -- it was completely inedible to me and I literally gagged. What we get here is something other than what they eat in China.

However, in Japan the Japanese food is far better than anything I've tasted here -- but way more expensive. I was once treated to Kobe beef and no one has been able to top that.

I'm holding out hope my slice is out there. My present favorite is Irish Times' wednesday Pizza and a Pint pizza. Romeo's thin crust and Costco slices also taste good too.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:59 AM

I was just in NY while the pizza was different and quite tasty I don't think I have grown addicted. I think I went to good places. My hotel was right by Famous Ray's Pizza and I went out of my way to try Lombardi's. Where they do kick our butt is in the assorted toppings that are always ready.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

The best thin crust I ever had was in Germany.

The number of New York pizza joints called "Ray's", "Original Ray's", "Famous Ray's", "Original Famous Ray's" and "World Famous Original Ray's" is a legendary bit of New York trivia.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:55 AM

I like Pacific Rim's Popeye, but my favourite pizza comes out of my oven :)

My understanding is Pacific Rim is packing it in and calling it a day. Apparently, the shop in the Sussex Plaza has closed and the Market Square location is closing shortly if it hasn't already (I haven't verified this myself but a friend of a friend works there and he's kinda bummed his gonna be outa work).

#40 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

Oh no! That makes me sad. I guess it's hard to compete with ghetto slice when people just want cheap quick food.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users