The CPR Steamship Terminal on Belleville Street

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

but it went from PCC control to ... transport ministry?

That's the last I heard. It wasn't in the lastest round of dealings between the province and the city that swapped the shipyards, conference centre and parks.

Anyone been since the new patio has been completed? I'm assuming that was the last bit of construction for the building.

Also, any idea what sits below the patio?

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

That's the last I heard. It wasn't in the lastest round of dealings between the province and the city that swapped the shipyards, conference centre and parks.

So it just belongs to the province, still.

Ya, the deck looks good, I was there and went and took a look, but it was later and we did not sit out there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Provincial Capital Commission Dissolution Act will transfer the Provincial Capital Commission’s assets, liabilities and staff to the B.C. government

http://www2.news.gov...0006-000174.htm

#84 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

Got paid to install the Starbucks in the Steamship Terminal. As a life long resident in Vic. it felt wrong somehow but a jobs a job eh.

Attached Images

• nov 2013 425.jpg
  • nov 2013 427.jpg
  • nov 2013 422.jpg
  • nov 2013 413.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#85 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

Two potential tenants announced for Inner Harbour's CP Steamship building
September 16, 2015 10:40 from Kyle Reynolds

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority says two potential tenants have been approached about leasing space within the CP Steamship building, including one that would run passenger ferry service between Victoria and Vancouver.

Riverside Marine and Ocean Networks Canada have been chosen from a number of companies that submitted Expressions of Interest.

Riverside Marine is a newly created BC company with extensive marine tourism and transportation experience in Australia that has proposed establishing passenger ferry service between the Inner Harbour and Vancouver.

Ocean Networks Canada is a U-Vic initiative that operates the NEPTUNE and VENUS cabled ocean observatories. They've proposed a new public outreach and visitor education centre.

The two companies would occupy the first and fourth floors of the Steamship building. The GVHA says it will work now to develop lease proposals and conclude negotiations as quickly as possible.

http://www.cfax1070....r-Inner-Harbour

The Greater Victoria Harbour Authority said Wednesday that it is negotiating long-term leases with two potential tenants: Riverside Marine, a major Australian marine operator and Ocean Networks Canada, which operates the NEPTUNE and VENUS cabled ocean observatories. Not only would the two potential tenants make the building viable, said harbour authority CEO Ian Robertson, but help return the terminal to its maritime origins dating to 1905. He hopes tenancy agreements will be worked out by mid-November.

Riverside Marine approached the harbor authority in June and “immediately fell in love with the building” which has a dock on its north side, Robertson said.

The company’s catamaran is expected to carry about 300 people, on an “experiential” downtown to downtown trip of about three hours following the B.C. Ferries Active Pass route, with one-way cost of $80.

“It will be an experience more than a high speed journey,” said Riverside Marine CEO Hume Kenneth Campbell. “So we also want to not just go through the area. We want to interpret what we're seeing.”

Victoria Chamber of Commerce chairman Frank Bourree called both proposals “fantastic” in potential to add more cachet to the city. “Both of these new initiatives are real attractions for Victoria — what tourists are looking for is an experience . . . so it’s really good news.”

Tourism Victoria CEO Paul Nursey agreed, saying he worked with the two groups in developing their proposals, which they hope will dovetail with tourism needs. “We need more things for people to see and do and more ways to get here,” he said.

A previous passenger ferry between the two downtowns was deep-sixed after 19 months in 1993, when the Royal Sealink Express lost millions of dollars due to low ridership for four round trips per day and pervasive seasickness among passengers.

http://www.timescolo...towns-1.2060326

i've said it before, they need a caspian sea monster for this route :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo

Edited by amor de cosmos, 17 September 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#86 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

A 3 hour journey with a one-way cost of $80 doesn't sound like a competitive service.

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

I doubt many business ppl would use it as time would be a factor. They would stick to air. Families will avoid it that for certain as it would be far to expensive.
Seems to me the target market is retirees and the childless.

#88 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

Seems to me the target market is retirees and the childless.

Nope, as was stated in the article, the target market is tourists.

Why people are going on about it not working for business or local traffic I do not know. The service is being designed for people with time to kill and want to combine sightseeing with an easy trip (fewer transfers) to Vancouver.

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

Why people are going on about it not working for business or local traffic I do not know. The service is being designed for people with time to kill and want to combine sightseeing with an easy trip (fewer transfers) to Vancouver.

Exactly.  And I think it can work.  Package it with two night's hotel, and it's a winner.  The Clipper brings 3 boats over each day in summer.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:16 AM

Exactly.  And I think it can work.  Package it with two night's hotel, and it's a winner.  The Clipper brings 3 boats over each day in summer.

But the clipper is arguably the quickest way to go to Seattle, especially if you don't want to fly.  It's almost certainly the cheapest.  This will easily be the slowest way to get from downtown to downtown, and it will be expensive.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:19 AM

But the clipper is arguably the quickest way to go to Seattle, especially if you don't want to fly.  It's almost certainly the cheapest.  This will easily be the slowest way to get from downtown to downtown, and it will be expensive.

?

Leave downtown Vancouver 9:45am

Arrive at ferry terminal 20 minutes early for the 11am

Ferry 11am - 12:35pm

Drive to downtown Victoria arrive at 1:15pm

That's 3.5 hours if all traffic is perfect and ferry is on time.  It's more like 4+ hours if you try this at 4pm.

The key is it can't simply be about the trip, it's what you do/see on the way and on-board.  It's whale watching with the added bonus of visiting another city overnight.  Prince of Whales charges $115 for 3 hours.

• Nparker likes this

#92 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

Plus, if you're driving, BCF will likely be more expensive than taking this passenger ferry (unless you're talking more than one person).

The Clipper isn't cheap. It's quite a bit cheaper to take the Coho if you're walking on and take the bus. It takes longer due to the long bus ride from Port Angeles though.

Edited by lanforod, 18 September 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#93 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

?

Leave downtown Vancouver 9:45am

Arrive at ferry terminal 20 minutes early for the 11am

Ferry 11am - 12:35pm

Drive to downtown Victoria arrive at 1:15pm

That's 3.5 hours if all traffic is perfect and ferry is on time.  It's more like 4+ hours if you try this at 4pm.

The key is it can't simply be about the trip, it's what you do/see on the way and on-board.  It's whale watching with the added bonus of visiting another city overnight.  Prince of Whales charges $115 for 3 hours.

I wouldn`t be concerned about the summer.  It`s more about the offseason.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

Have they even stated that they will run all year?

#95 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

It doesn't say, but if they're not running for 1/2 the year that's an unfortunate use of that building IMO.

• Bingo likes this

#96 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

It seems ironical that a company that is going to be based out of the old CPR terminal wants to compete with BC Ferries by providing an alternative service between Victoria and Vancouver. That terminal building was used by the CPR during the triangle run to Vancouver, to Nanaimo, to Vancouver and back to Victoria.

In 1958 CP employees went on strike for more pay and were joined in sympathy by Black Ball's workers.

The BC cabinet invoked the Civil Defence Act which allowed the government to take possession of, and use the property and undertakings of, Black Ball for such periods as might appear necessary.

But Black Ball employees struck again in defiance of the Act and ignored an injunction to return to work. Simultaneously the Premier announced that the government would establish its own ferry service to Vancouver Island.

Further, in 1959 Canadian Pacific withdrew its night steamers from the Vancouver-Victoria run and reduced winter service.

This may have precipitated action by the province which then declared that it was entering the ferry business only to provide a connection between lower Vancouver Island and the Mainland, because of the decline in Canadian Pacific’s service.

http://www.bcferryco...ies/up-to-1960/

#97 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

The Vancouver Sun 23 Jan 1992

VANCOUVER-VICTORIA FERRY'S FIRST TRIAL PASSES WITH FLYING COLORS: Nautical commute nearly ripple-free

ABOARD ROYAL VICTORIA - Just as advertised, it's fast, quiet, cheaper than flying, and vibration-free.

Most of the time, at speeds in excess of 70 kilometres per hour, it won't put a ripple in your morning coffee.

But in metre-high seas with a 20-knot southeasterly blowing across the Georgia Strait, hang on for a bumpy ride.

It's like flying in a jetliner during moderate turbulence - you're advised to stay in your seat.

Wednesday's maiden voyage from Vancouver to Victoria during sea trials aboard the 302-passenger "Flying Cat" Royal Victoria was a good test for the vessel and its trainee crew.

Both battled the weather and passed with flying colors.

On Feb. 2, the Royal Victoria and its sister ship Royal Vancouver, owned by Vancouver-based Royal Sealink Express, begin revenue service between downtown Vancouver and Victoria.

It's billed as Canada's "first high-speed ferry," but make that the first one since the short-lived Boeing jetfoil in 1986.

The two Norwegian-built craft will make three trips a day in each direction over the 135-kilometre harbor-to-harbor route. Scheduled travel time is two-and-a-half hours.

The craft arrived in Vancouver from Europe last weekend. Now RSE and its 80 employees have two weeks to get up to speed.

"The learning curve is straight up," commented senior captain Steve Schenck in an interview. "We've had lots of classroom time. Now what we need is hands on."

In the airline-style cockpit of the Royal Victoria, RSE's Canadian officers put the sleek 40-metre craft through its paces watched by a Norwegian training master.

"Its sea capabilities are excellent," said Capt. Darlson Flamond, as he steered a course into Active Pass. "As far as manoeuvrability is concerned, it's probably the best I have ever been on."

Flamond's last job was navigation officer on a 275,000 deadweight tons supertanker trading between the Mississippi and the Arabian Gulf.

Before that, he skippered private, computer-operated sailing ships in the Mediterranean.

In the first officer's seat, Capt. Gary Friedman agreed it's good to be home - and serving under the Canadian flag.

His last job was chief officer on an offshore towing and salvage barge in the South China Sea, based in Singapore.

The Vancouver Sun 20 Aug 1993

High speed ferry service to the Island runs aground

The Norwegian president of Royal Sealink Express said Thursday his company's failure probably means there will be no more attempts to operate high-speed ferry service between Vancouver and Victoria.

``I don't see how any private company can operate a fast ferry service because we know exactly how the competition is,'' Hans Jorgen Runshaug said in a telephone interview.

``We did a lot of research in the market, but what we experienced was something else than what the market told us.''

RSE, which operates a high-speed catamaran passenger service between downtown Vancouver and Victoria's Inner Harbor, announced Thursday it is shutting down effective Sept. 30, putting 89 people out of work. It cancelled its Nanaimo service earlier this year after only a few months of operations.

Former employees and business associates blamed the company's failure in part on the Norwegian managers brought in to replace a local management team after the initial start-up period.

They say the Norwegian managers spent lavishly, negotiated uneconomic deals and misread the market.

``They dumped tonnes of kronas into the B.C. market every month, that's what happened,'' said one member of the replaced local management team, former RSE marketing director Norman Stowe.

Stowe said the Norwegian executives ``were all operating engineer types'' brought in from the parent shipbuilding company, with no passenger service experience or understanding of the B.C. tourism market.''

Runshaug said the decision to shut down is ``one which we very much regret having to make.''

#98 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

I would take this if it's comparable in cost to BCF. I tend to not drive in Van anyway since my pal lives close to the sky train. $80 would be cheaper than BCF if you include gas and vehicle costs. Not to mention reservation fees or wait times or comfort upgrades. If this is a nice ride for $80 and has good food and drink downtown to downtown I'm in. As long as the schedule makes sense...

#99 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

Umm. Retirees and the child free can't be tourists?

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

It has no intention of competing with BCF. It's a different experience. Every day hundreds of people in Vancouver and Victoria take boat trips that cost over $100.
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users