Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#881 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Again, it's not really deception.  You do not want to stick a 4.0M sign on the first one, only for there to be a 3.7M on the next one 3M feet further down the road.  You make all signage indicate the lowest point in the set of bridges.  It's not like the truck wants to or can go under one, then turn off.

• Rob Randall, tedward and 57WestHills like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#882 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Again, it's not really deception.  You do not want to stick a 4.0M sign on the first one, only for there to be a 3.7M on the next one 3M feet further down the road. 

You make all signage indicate the lowest point in the set of bridges.  It's not like the truck wants to or can go under one, then turn off.

I think you are missing my point and you might have to drive under the bridge heading south to get it.

You cannot tell from the drivers seat that the second bridge is lower, and that the signage on the bridges is incorrect.

I actually got out of my armchair and went to the site, and I thought I might find you there being that you are an experienced rail aficionado.

• Matt R. likes this

#883 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

The signs say 3.7M and that is the highest you'd want to be.  I'm not sure why you are calling for any signage that indicates a higher clearance, even if there is one on one bridge.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 December 2017 - 02:30 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#884 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

The signs say 3.7M and that is the highest you'd want to be.  I'm not sure why you are calling for any signage that indicates a higher clearance, even if there is one on one bridge.  

I'm calling for the signage to be RIGHT, and it isn't because the truck hit the second bridge after clearing the first bridge only a couple of feet apart.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#885 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

I'm calling for the signage to be RIGHT, and it isn't because the truck hit the second bridge after clearing the first bridge only a couple of feet apart.

Let's thing this through, Bingo.

If you put the "right" signage on the higher bridge, a driver will see that first, and perhaps think that's the height of the twin set.  You can not thrown a lower height at him 3m further down the road.

#886 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

I think you are missing my point 

Yes, we are all missing your point. What possible reason could there be to have two heights?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#887 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:15 PM

Yes, we are all missing your point. What possible reason could there be to have two heights?

There is no reason to have two heights shown on the bridge other than the fact that one of the heights indicated is wrong.

We must guarantee that when the Johnson Street Bridge is raised the clearance for vessels will remain consistent and as advertised, not some lesser clearance just because the bridge operator is having a bad day. 

#888 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:28 PM

^So you are alleging that one of the bridges is actually lower than the 3.7 m advertised? Looks like we need to see the tale of the tape.

#889 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

So you are alleging that one of the bridges is actually lower than the 3.7 m advertised? Looks like we need to see the tale of the tape.

The Hereward Road bridge could have as much as 3.9m clearance, as many of the bridge clearances could be more than what is posted.

This leaves more of a safety factor, but could also lead to drivers taking chances if their rig is slightly over the posted clearance.

There is technology such as the GiraffeG4 available for trucks and RV drivers to help take away the guesswork.

https://giraffeg4.com/

#890 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

????

• Matt R., Bingo and tedward like this

#891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

Regardless of the actual height, a driver must never disobey the signage. Folks who enter parkades with large trucks sometimes chance it even though they smoked the little hanging sign and eventually discover they’re getting a free car wash when they take out a low hanging pipe.
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#892 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

^ ^ ^ ????

• Matt R. and Bingo like this

#893 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

^ Have you never taken out a low hanging pipe?

Matt.

#894 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

^ ^ ^ ????

I disagree.

#895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

Matt.

No, but I saw it happen! Good times.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#896 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Matt.

Yes, once.  But she flat out refused a second date.   :rtfm:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 January 2018 - 10:43 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#897 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:57 AM

Denise Savoie: E&N line’s real value is as a trail, not rail

There has been much discussion, argument and debate for many years about continued rail service on the E&N right of way. Meanwhile, the real value of the asset, the continuity of the right of way, is in danger of being lost.

Unless a viable transportation option is agreed upon soon, the right of way will be lost, as many others in this region have been.

We have a choice to make. We can continue to pretend that the romance of rail justifies public expenditures of hundreds of millions of dollars for results that, based on past performance and studied potential, can only disappoint. Or we can recognize the benefits that modest investment in the corridor can bring as a multi-use trail.

Doing nothing will result in the loss of the asset that cost us so much.

more; http://www.timescolo...rail-1.23170422

#898 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

"...the right of way will be lost, as many others in this region have been."

I thought we did a pretty good job of maintaining the Galloping Goose and Lochside ROW's for use by the public, no? Which ROW's is Savoie referring to as having been lost?

Know it all.

#899 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

Ya beats me. Start monetizing all the auxiliary bit now, sell some real estate to build a great trail.

She must mean up-Island or elsewhere.

#900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Even the Kinsol bridge trail network is pretty darned good. I can't imagine what she refers to other than perhaps a few spurs long lost to time?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users