Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#901 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:16 AM

Yes, I think we are doing a pretty good job on the local E&N Tail which is costing 36 million.

There has been plenty of debate on possibilities on VV for a number of years, but I do agree that the whole island corridor needs to be saved.

But there is more in the TC article here. http://www.timescolo...rail-1.23170422

#902 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

I'm not entirely sure the most remote areas of the E&N need to become a trail.  It's not like many are gonna hike from Victoria to Courtenay.

• 57WestHills likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#903 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

I'm not entirely sure the most remote areas of the E&N need to become a trail.  It's not like many are gonna hike from Victoria to Courtenay.

I think you under estimate what folks will do.

The local communities will use their section of the trail, and like the West Coast Trail built to rescue ship-wrecked sailors, the E&N Trail could be a life-saver for those attempting to get out of the city when the Malahat is plugged up.

#904 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

I'm not entirely sure the most remote areas of the E&N need to become a trail. It's not like many are gonna hike from Victoria to Courtenay.

The Duncan - Lake Cowichan trail on the former railway bed has local users, and currently no good connection exists to the Galloping Goose further south. Victoria is not needed for a multi-user corridor to work, but of course it would generate sa few more users on the corridor further north. What works for the Cowichan Valley would work for Nanaimo to Courtenay.

All that would be needed is fine crush, not asphalt, similar to the western portion of the Galloping Goose. The key to building the bike path cheaply is to use the rail bed and existing structures. Safety barricades on trestles would be needed, similar to those on trestles north of Sooke in Sooke Potholes Provincial Park, on the Galloping Goose.

The E & N trail in the Capital Regional District is about as costly a trail as one can get, as a completely new parallel path and bridges were built. A Courtenay to Duncan trail would just need fine crush and safety barricades for trestles. Rail removal could provide salvage funds to pay for both rail and old tie removal and disposal.

Edited by splashflash, 12 February 2018 - 12:57 PM.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#905 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

I'm not entirely sure the most remote areas of the E&N need to become a trail. It's not like many are gonna hike from Victoria to Courtenay.

If they don’t, VHF, it’s because the island hasn’t adequately developed and marketed it. Think of the Camino across Spain, which attracts thousands and thousands (and growing) each year, or that walking tour across Northern England. People travel the globe to walk 20-30 kms per day, for days or weeks at a time, and if tourism operators were smart they’d be catering to those who would LOVE to walk all the way to Courtnay, and beyond. That’s my two bits.
  • Bingo likes this

#906 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:38 PM

The E & N trail in the Capital Regional District is about as costly a trail as one can get, as a completely new parallel path and bridges were built. A Courtenay to Duncan trail would just need fine crush and safety barricades for trestles. Rail removal could provide salvage funds to pay for both rail and old tie removal and disposal.

I think if we looked at a map of all the property available, we'd see that there would be lots of opportunities to sell land for money to build the trail.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#907 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

"Ads on Goose a bad trail mix" - http://www.timescolo...-mix-1.23271644

Any idea what this writer is talking about?  The only ads I have seen are for businesses directly off the trail (e.g. The Nest Cafe out near Burnside/Watkiss) and the only "set-ups" have been community things, such as Bike To Work Week.

#908 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

I absolutely would, sounds like a fun weekend on my bike. Right now the only thing stopping me from biking up to Nanaimo and beyond is the damned Malahat. What's the grading on the E&N like anyways?

~ Jasmine ~

#909 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

I absolutely would, sounds like a fun weekend on my bike. Right now the only thing stopping me from biking up to Nanaimo and beyond is the damned Malahat. What's the grading on the E&N like anyways?

Why not cycle to Brentwood Bay and take the ferry to Mill Bay?

#910 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

That's an option? Good to know (new to the Island). Gonna check that out right away!

Edited by jasmineshinga, 18 April 2018 - 10:53 AM.

~ Jasmine ~

#911 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

That's an option? Good to know (new to the Island). Gonna check that out right away!

Well, I've never done it.  But I am going to do it this weekend (to Chemainus, not Nanaimo).

And plenty of others have done it and paid the $2 surcharge for... nothing? (On that run at least.) See: https://thetyee.ca/N...rries-Bike-Fee/

#912 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

You can make a good ferry bike loop using the Mill Bay ferry.  Ferry Brentwood to Mill Bay. Bike to Crofton. Ferry to Saltspring. Bike to Fulford Harbour. Ferry to Swartz Bay. Bike back to your start point

• jasmineshinga likes this

#913 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

Pretty awesome car ride too!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#914 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

You can make a good ferry bike loop using the Mill Bay ferry.  Ferry Brentwood to Mill Bay. Bike to Crofton. Ferry to Saltspring. Bike to Fulford Harbour. Ferry to Swartz Bay. Bike back to your start point

That sounds very nice actually.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#915 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Pretty awesome car ride too!

"Name something a dog would say."  :lol:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#916 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:18 AM

^My dog does like it and all the stops and parks.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 April 2018 - 08:54 AM.

• DustMagnet likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#917 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:22 AM

This is the infrastructure the $2 bicycle surcharge is paying for (yeah, yeah, I know it's fleet-wide but still...)

Of course, if you buy tickets ahead of time there is magically no bicycle surcharge as well as the discount, so it's about 50% what a cyclist pays at the dock.

Attached Images

• IMG_1708.jpg

#918 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:56 AM

Future of E&N rail up in the air at Hallowell Road crossing.

IMG_9385.JPG

IMG_9386.JPG

• aastra and 57WestHills like this

#919 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 24 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

You could still run light rail on it.  Very light rail.

• aastra and Bingo like this

#920 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

MagLev

You could still run light rail on it.  Very light rail.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users