Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#921 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:32 AM

The tram in Bordeaux has tracks that are flush with the roadway and even some in grass. That would well on those tracks, from my amateur point-of-view.

#922 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

The tram in Bordeaux has tracks that are flush with the roadway and even some in grass. That would well on those tracks, from my amateur point-of-view.

I think the joke (which is not necessarily apparent from a glance at the photos) is that while the E&N Rail Trail connection along Hallowell Rd is under construction the E&N rail tracks are suspended in the air, with the support dug out from under them.  No train no matter how light could run on them in that state.

• mbjj likes this

#923 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

No train no matter how light could run on them in that state.

The Hogwarts Express could probably do it.

#924 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

No train no matter how light could run on them in that state.

A freight train made out of balsa wood and shipping a huge load of helium... just sayin'.

And don't forget sailboat fuel...

• Nparker likes this

#925 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Open House

Drop in to see the proposed design for the next phase of E&N Rail Trail construction, planned from Atkins Avenue to Savory Elementary School, in Langford.

Talk with staff about the project and overall progress on this 17-km pedestrian and cycling trail.

Wednesday, August 15, 3:30 - 6:30pm
Westshore Parks and Recreation Centre
Building 5 (Field House), Lower Level (across from Q Centre Arena)
1767 Island Highway, Colwood

https://www.crd.bc.c.../e-n-rail-trail

• DustMagnet likes this

#926 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

The E&N Railway Trail - Phase 3 - Savory School to Atkins Avenue

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=e869eaca_4

• 57WestHills and DustMagnet like this

#927 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

Not so fast (no pun intended)...

https://www.cheknews...-system-483656/

#928 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:33 AM

Not so fast (no pun intended)...

So NOW the environmentalists decide to speak up. Typical !

#929 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

So NOW the environmentalists decide to speak up. Typical !

Maybe they were waiting to see what the final design was before formulating their response.

I've not been through the area that is proposed for the pathway.  I'd want to walk it and see what the concerns are.  It looks like a number of things thrown at the wall to see what sticks (and some items seem to contradict others) but that's the article on the letter, not the letter itself.

I have to say the early promise of civil disobedience does not enamour me to the cause.  <_<

#930 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

Maybe they were waiting to see what the final design was before formulating their response.

I suppose the trees they are talking about are not that old since the path will be on the railway right of way land, and those trees would be pruned if the corridor was to be used in the future

.Among them is environmental scientist and Royal Roads University professor of Environment and Sustainability Leslie King.

“We don’t have a problem with a bike path we love bike paths but as its cited right now it would destroy a very sensitive riparian ecosystem,” said King.

King says the CRD’s proposal which would have part of the path going along the south side of the tracks will go right through delicate habitat home to a wide range of species.

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=e869eaca_4

#931 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

With all due respect for Mr. King, how many sensitive ecosystems within Vancouver Islands 31,000+ square kilometers equates to a small bike path of what....2 square KM of space?  There isn't going to be a massive collapse of ecosystems for a bike path. I am quite frankly disappointed to hear such theatrics from Royal Roads.    

• Bingo and nerka like this

#932 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

This concern seems overdone. 

This is already a modified ecosystem. Yes there will be some impacts from clearing a strip and paving a 4 metre wide strip.  But on the scale of things this seems pretty minor. If the surrounding trees are left to grow there will be complete crown closure over the trail in a few decades (just like parts of the Goose already.

#933 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

The environmental issues are not just clearing a strip and paving.  It's also the garbage the cyclists will throw.  That's not an issue with pedestrians because the speed at which cyclists travel on the MUPs excludes anyone else from using them.  This area has been used as a path for First Nations for 3000 years so no one else should be using it.

But the group opposed to this routing does like bike paths in general.  I guess if it's routed closer to the rails then garbage and pedestrian exclusion is OK.

I think that sums up the arguments mostly.

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 August 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#934 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:33 AM

The environmental issues are not just clearing a strip and paving.  It's also the garbage the cyclists will throw.  That's not an issue with pedestrians because the speed at which cyclists travel on the MUPs excludes anyone else from using them.  This area has been used as a path for First Nations for 3000 years so no one else should be using it.

But the group opposed to this routing does like bike paths in general.  I guess if it's routed closer to the rails then garbage and pedestrian exclusion is OK.

I think that sums up the arguments mostly.

Don't forget that if we fell a tree for this pathway it will scare away the wildlife, which I assume wasn't an issue when the rails were laid because either a) the rail corridor follows a meandering path where there were no trees to fell in the first place, or b) the critical ecosystem was established after the rails were laid.

#935 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Don't forget that if we fell a tree for this pathway it will scare away the wildlife, which I assume wasn't an issue when the rails were laid because either a) the rail corridor follows a meandering path where there were no trees to fell in the first place, or b) the critical ecosystem was established after the rails were laid.

The rail line was completed 130 years ago before Langford had a gas station, and the owls retreated to the Sooke Hills.

The only wildlife now are the folks who complain about everything.

#936 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

The rails were laid in a different time, when environmental considerations were different.

Therefore we should rip up the rails and store them next to the JAM statue.

EDIT: Wait, these rails aren't in the CoV, so never mind.

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 August 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#937 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Being careful for Millstream Creek is valid. But that just means being careful. Time construction so it’s not when anything is spawning. Build trail elements such that no sediment enters the stream etc. The creak already runs through a lot worse. Anyway it’s too bad he goes overboard because these are valid concerns. Most of our urban lakes are messed up because they never considered the riparian ecology in planning. It could have also lead to the demise of the South Island commercial fishing industry. So, build it but be sensitive to the sensitive areas....
  • Mike K. and nerka like this

#938 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

That's not an issue with pedestrians because the speed at which cyclists travel on the MUPs excludes anyone else from using them. 

The fact that pedestrians are "excluded" from these paths will be news to the 100's if not 1000's of pedestrians that use sections of the Goose and Lochside on a daily basis.

#939 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

The fact that pedestrians are "excluded" from these paths will be news to the 100's if not 1000's of pedestrians that use sections of the Goose and Lochside on a daily basis.

...high-speed bike traffic that prohibits other uses and provides a barrier to mobility of both wildlife and people

On this section no pedestrians or wildlife would be permitted.

#940 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

On this section no pedestrians or wildlife would be permitted.

Ha ha.....good one. 

It wasn't long ago that the CRD had a published maximum speed for cyclists, but now just states "alert others and control your speed" whatever "control your speed" means.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users