Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:50 AM

if I’m not mistaken cyclists will not enjoy the hills on the swan lake bypass.

https://www.vicnews....-limits-access/

#982 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

if I’m not mistaken cyclists will not enjoy the hills on the swan lake bypass.

https://www.vicnews....-limits-access/

I think there is a general misconception that all cyclists abhor hills.  For the average commuter (that is not riding an e-bike) it will likely be a pain though.

I feel worse for the motorists on Sannich Rd and Greenridge Crescent - those are some fairly narrow roads with nary a bike lane in sight.  And now all Lochside cycle traffic is going to divert there for a month or so?  Share and enjoy.

#983 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, but those trestle improvements are *so* worth it. It is so much nicer riding over the one that has already been done.

#984 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

i think particularly for these goose commuter cyclists - that are used to a former railway bed with little grade - it’ll come as a bit of a shock. but perhaps they are very healthy.

#985 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

i think particularly for these goose commuter cyclists - that are used to a former railway bed with little grade - it’ll come as a bit of a shock. but perhaps they are very healthy.

A few hills will make 'em better* cyclists.  Besides, is that detour any worse than the Hospital Hills or Mount McKenzie?

* More fit and more stamina, no guarantees of civility or rule-following.

• Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

#986 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:57 AM

I think there is a general misconception that all cyclists abhor hills.

Not here there isn't - in my biking days I came to loathe hills (well, uphills anyway), to the point that even when I'm driving now I without realizing it sometimes plan my route to avoid unnecessary uphills.

#987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:00 AM

when i was a lot younger - and sweated less - hills i considered a bit of a fun and necessary challenge.  now they are an annoyance.  especially if you can't get a good run at them from a downhill leading in.  coming up hillside eastbound from quadra is no fun.  but doing the dip on quadra at tolmie is a bit better with a down to get some speed up before the hill on the opposite side.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#988 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

Saw some work underway today on the E&N Atkins to Savory Elementary section - guys in hi-viz and excavator(s) in the woods...  Guess it's coming along.

#989 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:11 AM

Unsure if this has been mentioned in another topic, but the CRD has finished restoration works on the Todd Creek Trestle near Sooke Potholes Regional Park. Press release here: https://www.crd.bc.c...-trail-complete

• Mike K., Greg, Brantastic and 2 others like this

#990 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

The Capital Regional District is considering widening the busiest parts of the Galloping Goose and Lochside trails to separate bicycles from pedestrians.

The most congested areas are on the Galloping Goose just north of the Selkirk Trestle to the McKenzie interchange and the beginning of the Lochside trail, where it splits from the Goose, to McKenzie Avenue, according to a report on widening the trails received by the CRD’s regional parks committee Wednesday.

https://www.timescol...ting-1.24273839

• Brantastic likes this

#991 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:12 AM

This is something I've been advocating for for some time, and mode separation in these areas will make it far more pleasant for both cyclists and pedestrians at "rush hour." Good move.

• Brantastic and FogPub like this

#992 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:51 PM

This is a much needed improvement to the trail. Hopefully the chosen design option does a better job at marking the cyclist/pedestrian than the current separation through the railyards where you often see wandering users across the trail. 

• Danma likes this

#993 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

You would think that the "third priority" segment behind Thrifty Foods would be first priority because a landslide into the creek last year means the ground beyond the paved edge of the trail is completely gone, a potentially dangerous situation.

#994 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

Saw some work underway today on the E&N Atkins to Savory Elementary section - guys in hi-viz and excavator(s) in the woods...  Guess it's coming along.

Excellent. That will be a nice alternative to Atkins or Wale.

#995 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

Excellent. That will be a nice alternative to Atkins or Wale.

I think this is expected to be finished at some point in the summer. I'm very excited for this one. This means a continuous paved cycling path from downtown to the corner of Phipps and Station (either via E&N or the Galloping Goose). After this and the Kimta Rd connection, the plan is to continue the E&N Rail Trail all the way to the Sooke Hills Regional Park, with a bike trail along Humpback Rd. This also means Westhills will finally be connected with an off-street bike path to the Goldstream Village area.

• Danma likes this

#996 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

I think this is expected to be finished at some point in the summer. I'm very excited for this one. This means a continuous paved cycling path from downtown to the corner of Phipps and Station (either via E&N or the Galloping Goose). After this and the Kimta Rd connection, the plan is to continue the E&N Rail Trail all the way to the Sooke Hills Regional Park, with a bike trail along Humpback Rd. This also means Westhills will finally be connected with an off-street bike path to the Goldstream Village area.

Oh that would be nice if the E&N trail went through to Humpback, that makes for a great continuous bike path!

#997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 04:45 PM

The Capital Regional District is asking the public to weigh in on the idea of widening sections of the Galloping Goose and Lochside regional trails, along with adding lights.

The section being considered on the Galloping Goose is a 6.6-kilometre stretch between the Selkirk Trestle and Grange Road adjacent to McKenzie Avenue, while the Lochside area is also a 6.6-km stretch between the Switch Bridge and McKenzie/Bordon Street.

https://www.timescol...plan-1.24323455

#998 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:09 PM

The Capital Regional District is asking the public to weigh in on the idea of widening sections of the Galloping Goose and Lochside regional trails, along with adding lights.

The section being considered on the Galloping Goose is a 6.6-kilometre stretch between the Selkirk Trestle and Grange Road adjacent to McKenzie Avenue, while the Lochside area is also a 6.6-km stretch between the Switch Bridge and McKenzie/Bordon Street.

https://www.timescol...plan-1.24323455

I'm hoping the widening is going to include a bit of separation between peds and cyclists, similar to on the section south of the trestle. Gotta think that'll make it a whole lot more comfortable / safe for everyone involved.

Also am hoping that they'll get some lighting on the stretch south of the trestle, between there and Harbour Rd as well. That section gets pretty dark at night, but still has quite a bit of traffic at night.  I ride slow through there with my ebike lights on, but still get surprised by pedestrians (especially if they're dressed all in black) or by a fair number of cyclists not using lights (which is just ****ing dick behavior IMO).  

• A Girl is No one likes this

#999 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

if they make the walking part unsuitable for bikes and skateboards that solves lots.  but i presume that is not good for those with toddlers and with mobility issues (those moving at walking speeds but using wheels like a stroller, a walker, or disability scooter).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 May 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#1000 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,333 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

Colwood is optimistic about a grant that would pave the way for a bridge across Island Highway for pedestrians and cyclists.

“We haven’t heard back yet on our application for a federal Infrastructure Canada grant,” said Mayor Rob Martin. “We’re expecting it to come through in August, and we’re really excited about the concept of continuing on the journey to create an active transportation model for our community that really encourages more people to be walking and biking.”

The crossing is pivotal because it’s the only interruption on the Capital Regional District’s Galloping Goose Trail, which is highly valued and well used, Martin noted.

https://www.vicnews....on-for-colwood/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users