Photo

[Bicycles] Regional Trails in Victoria: Galloping Goose, Lochside, Trans-Canada & E&N

• Please log in to reply
1124 replies to this topic

#1021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:59 AM

Octoqueen

octoqueen.jpg

#1022 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:08 PM

Shouldn’t it be updated to king?

#1023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:05 PM

Shouldn’t it be updated to king?

Only if we see King Charles sporting the same outfit while riding his bike.

#1024 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:37 PM

^ Ha ha...I was going to post that it'd be a frosty day in Hades before King Charles ever rode a bicycle....but then I thought to Google before I typed...

Edited by North Shore, 30 November 2022 - 04:37 PM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1025 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:34 PM

As grant funding gets harder to secure, the Capital Regional District is looking at paying for the trail widening and lighting project’s $14 million price tag, with the help of the taxpayer.

According to the CRD, the Galloping Goose and Lochside trails are getting busier and upgrades need to be done.

On Thursday, about 5,331 people used the Galloping Goose trail just north of the Selkirk Trestle.

Colin Plant, CRD director and board chair, said the narrow trails with that many users are causing too much congestion.

“If we could widen it, it would make it more safe and more accessible to people who perhaps don’t go on it now because they don’t feel safe,” Plant said.

The lack of lighting is also a safety hazard the CRD wants to address.

The estimated cost to do both, on a 6.6-kilometre section of the trail north of the Selkirk Trestle going past Uptown, is about $14 million.

https://www.cheknews...illion-1154845/

#1026 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 07:15 AM

It’s a great regional asset. I do think, though, that it can make people feel very vulnerable. It was sketchy 20 years ago in off peak hours. Can’t imagine what goes on there now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1027 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 04:03 AM

A “badly needed” project to widen and add lighting to the ­increasingly busy Galloping Goose and Lochside regional trails took a step this week toward becoming a reality.

The Capital Regional ­District’s transportation ­committee voted Wednesday to send a recommendation to the CRD board that the $53.5-million widening and lighting project be included in the 2024-2028 financial plan and that funds be secured through debt.

https://www.timescol...reality-7306726

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 July 2023 - 04:04 AM.

#1028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:53 AM

The Capital Regional District Board is about to shed a little light on its trail system after unanimously approving a $53.5 million regional trails widening and lighting project.

The board voted to borrow $50 million and accelerate the program to have it included in its 2024-28 financial plan.

“This, as board members know, has been a long time coming,” said Dean Murdock, chair of the board’s transportation committee.

Murdock noted Wednesday’s decision also allows the board to continue to explore the possibility of senior levels of government contributing to the project.

“It’s a good problem to have — we’ve got extremely high volumes of users on our trail system, and that’s growing on a regular basis. And in order to meet that demand we’re going to need to make some improvements that make it safer and more comfortable for folks to get around on that trail system,” he said.

https://www.timescol...project-7387921

I guess I'm generally in favour of the improvements, but I'm opposed to borrowing almost the entire amount.

#1029 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:52 AM

Meanwhile, the region's major water reservoir hasn't been expanded since the local population was 25% smaller.

#1030 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:02 AM

Meanwhile, the region's major water reservoir hasn't been expanded since the local population was 25% smaller.

That because we expanded back in the early 2000s. If I remember correctly, we now have enough water for the daily needs of more than 2 million people (heard it from a watershed tour).

#1031 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:21 AM

So we should have no need for watering restrictions then.

• Matt R. likes this

#1032 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:52 AM

That because we expanded back in the early 2000s. If I remember correctly, we now have enough water for the daily needs of more than 2 million people (heard it from a watershed tour).

I don't think that's quite accurate. We will need some major upgrades to use the deeper waters of Sooke Lake as drinking water, due to sedimentation.

So the capacity is technically there, but it's not usable, is my read on it. That's why we have water restrictions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1033 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:34 AM

We have some of the least restrictive summer water restrictions. You can wash your car, and pressure wash your driveway, fill pools and ponds. I'm pretty sure this is all the restrictions we have during stage one. https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=42c375cd_2

They basically just ask you not to run your tape all the time. Could someone remind me the last time houses hooked up to sook lake were on stage 2.

#1034 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:37 AM

Can someone tell me the last time we rationed stuff? Especially such a simple product.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2023 - 10:38 AM.

#1035 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:43 AM

Toilet paper in 2020.

#1036 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:45 AM

So the capacity is technically there, but it's not usable, is my read on it. That's why we have water restrictions.

We definitely wouldn't if everyone needed to keep an eighth of an acre of grass green during the summer. But we most likely have enough to meet personal needs.

#1037 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 530 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:37 AM

The Capital Regional District Board is about to shed a little light on its trail system after unanimously approving a $53.5 million regional trails widening and lighting project.

I guess I'm generally in favour of the improvements, but I'm opposed to borrowing almost the entire amount.

I bike pretty much every day on those trails but find it hard to believe the total price tag.  Wasn't the entire MacKenzie overpass cost 96 Million?  Unless there is some serious land expropriation, seems a bit overkill.

#1038 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:45 AM

There is no expense too high (or closely scrutinized) when it comes to cycling infrastructure.

#1039 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:12 PM

Looks like we are finally getting our 5% of transportation infrastructure spending

Edited by GaryOak, 10 August 2023 - 12:14 PM.

#1040 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:16 PM

I bike pretty much every day on those trails but find it hard to believe the total price tag.  Wasn't the entire MacKenzie overpass cost 96 Million?  Unless there is some serious land expropriation, seems a bit overkill.

Lighting can't be cheap. I assume they're going to be adding another meter or so to the width and enhancing the quality of the intersections. The price tag seems steep, but I would personally rather have an A+ quality bike commute than another overpass.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)