Craigflower Bridge | Built - completed in 2014

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

^ Maybe the CRD did not want to become involved in a project that wasn't popular or necessary.

Regardless whether the bridge was repaired or replaced, something had to be done. The CRD showed no interest at all to fund either option.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

The Craigflower bridge has the advantage of being in three municipalities. This gets you a lot more advocates at the CRD

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Yup, you're totally right about that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

^ Really I bet that the majority of traffic on JSB is from outside the city.

Are you overlooking that Vic West is part of Victoria?

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

Vic West's population is 5,000 (or ~7% of the City of Victoria's population). Even if 50% of residents work (there are a lot of children and retirees in the neighbourhood), how many of them actually need to cross the JSB on a daily basis? Remember there is also the Bay Street Bridge, and many Vic West residents would benefit more from a cycling/pedestrian bridge than a vehicle crossing.

Know it all.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

The CRD has allocated $8-million for the JSB (link to JSB thread -- just to move the JSB's funding discussion to its own thread).

Know it all.

#27 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Municipalities monitor deterioration of Craigflower Bridge

By Kyle Slavin - Saanich News
Published: July 19, 2011 12:00 PM
Updated: July 19, 2011 1:21 PM

Craigflower Bridge is not falling down, but it’s being inspected routinely just to be sure.

The bridge, which connects Saanich to View Royal at the western end of the Gorge waterway, is in a state of disrepair and needs to be replaced.

Engineers from both municipalities met with representatives from the consulting firm Stantec to inspect the wooden structure last week.

“We know it’s lasted 78 years, there’s no reason to think that this year it’d fail,” said Jim Hemstock, manager of transportation with Saanich. “But just to be certain, we’re doing a close inspection every three months to see if there’s a change in conditions.”

http://www.bclocalne.../125831543.html

#28 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

From Saanich's bid page
Tendering for a consultant to design the new bridge and approaches.
Anticipated schedule is design complete January 2012, to tender April 2012 and complete construction fall of 2012.
Fisheries restricts work in water to June 1 to Sept 15.

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Taxpayers spared cost of Craigflower Bridge replacement

The Craigflower Bridge will be replaced, with no direct hit on local taxpayers, thanks to a $10-million contribution from the federal government.....[...]

http://www.timescolo...2311/story.html

#30 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,147 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

Here is more.

http://www.vancouver...4094/story.html

#31 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

I was just wondering ,are they going to replace the Jhonson bridge at the same time as they destroy the admirals bridge...and will we get the wonderful bike lanes in traffic or offside..and the ever so lovely garden centers in the middle of traffic..don't really care ,i will adjust and avoid the area and watch the area die as the 4 mile hill did...

#32 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

^Good question about the timing.

#33 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Build a new Craigflower Bridge in six months or 18?

Public advice sought; three options to replace aging span

By Sandra McCulloch, timescolonist.com December 5, 2011

http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1fjLNHRZ6

The Craigflower Bridge, at 78 years old, is showing its age. An open house Wednesday will give the public a peek at three possible replacements.

"We're looking for feedback," Saanich transportation manager Jim Hemstock said Monday. That includes comments on how the bridge should look and whether it should be built in six months or 18.

Planners are happy with all three bridge options, said Hemstock. "We'd build any of them," he said. "We're looking for what's important to people, what they like about them, what they don't like about them."

#34 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

This $10 of federal gas tax money is also flowing through the CRD, which means between this and JSB, that is all the gas tax money for this year (at least regionally).

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

I hope that they go with the arched version. It is certainly the most pleasing to me.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Are the pieces of the new bridge being produced locally?

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

I don't think we have a huge bridge manufacturing base in Victoria so I would doubt it.

It has a whole new look!

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

I don't think we have a huge bridge manufacturing base in Victoria so I would doubt it.

We aren't building an eight lane suspension bridge. It's three lanes wide, and if they rip out the old one before they start new construction, it will be done in six months.

A local firm like Ramsay Machine Works could probably build the bridge in their spare time.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

And they have the cheapest bid then they should build it.

It has a whole new look!

#40 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

And they have the cheapest bid then they should build it.

Somebody needs to figure out what the net benefit for buying from a local firm is, because sometimes the cheapest isn't the cheapest.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users