Photo

Old signage on Quadra & Tattersall building

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

Thanks, everybody for the fascinating research into a forgotten bit of history.

20 or so years ago that corner was a barber shop. Maybe even since that old archives photo was taken. My friends and I used to go there because we knew Ken the barber. We suspected Ken got back into hard drugs and sure enough he was fatally stabbed in a notorious drug-related attack at a Wark St. apartment in 2005.

E was Empire later to become Evergreen "38"

I once made up a business card with my phone number as EVergreen 3-9126. It worked if you understood the code.

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

^ After Saanich Realty moved out sometime in 1942 the north corner (3588) became the Quadra Heights Barber shop, and you can see the barber stripes on the corner of the building in the archive photo from the late 40's. The barber shop survived until 1953 when it became the Quadra Fruit Market.

The following year that location evolved into the Quadra Corner store and in 1957 is when Phyll's Confectionery became the store written about in my first and second post.

I will look for the history of when again (3588) turned into a barber shop. I will also do another piece on the evolution of the confectioneries and grocery stores at this location.

Don't change that dial, there's more after this break.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

The contractor that has preserved the sign (instead of stuccoing over it) has been in touch with everybody he can think of, BC Museum, Auction houses, etc.

No one is interested in an old sign painted on 14 foot boards.

Does anyone have any ideas? The only thought we discussed was to see if there were any decendants that might like to preserve this treasure. ??

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

Have you finished the siding on your chicken processing facility yet Sparky? You could stick it up there :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#45 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

^ Good point. Chicken on the run with grandpa's repaired shoes. I like the ring of that.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

We'll add a phone booth to the lot and call it day :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

There is no basement under the north end of this building just a tall crawl space. I once removed two large metal screens from down there that had been used for taxidermy or possibly tanning leather. There was also salt in there.

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Heritage Acres Central Saanich may want it.Otherwise it sounds like a cool piece for den.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

A two-foot stone wall has been built on the corner of the property. I predict this will ensure that any out of control trucks that may hit the building will now be launched into the air and completely through the window.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

^ I was thinking the same thing last week when I drove by. :)

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

A two-foot stone wall has been built on the corner of the property.

The sidewalk will be between that wall and the building, and the road will be wider and have bike lanes at that intersection.

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Actually Tatersall (west of Quadra) is having a MAJOR face lift. I grew up on that street.....I had better go get some "construction" shots.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

...Tatersall (west of Quadra) is having a MAJOR face lift...

Long overdue. I hope it's more than just a some big-ass sidewalks and traffic calming. Tattersall is the logical extension of Saanich Road east of Vernon (Pat Bay Hwy) and with some improvements could make for a decent east-west connector.

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

^ Funny you should bring this up as I was just discussing this street recently. Up until the early 60's Tattersall was a dead end street between Savannah and Calumet. There was a creek that ran through the properties on the dead ends that now travel through a pipe for most of the way....similar to Bowker.

#55 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

^ oh and it needs a better left turn lane and advanced arrow for northbound Quadra traffic.

#56 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:22 AM

Man that's perfectly preserved!

This one has been bugging me. The upper board with the letters missing is in a bit of a shadow, but if you look at the alphabet and the way the letters are shaped it narrows it down to either a HBX or an HDX, ...or what looks like an H could be an IBX or IDX. That IS an X though.

I looked up the abbreviation of what HDX means and it is a government or military abbreviation for "HALF DUPLEX". So, maybe this was part of a for sale or for rent sign attached to the Boot repair Shop.

#57 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

I lightened the image a bit and there seems to be another board with more letters.

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Is a half-duplex like saying half a pair of socks?

I doubt a little-known abbreviation would be given such prominent placement. I think that's the top of an "A" rather than an "X". "-LAURA"?

EDIT: Your close-up shows the leg of the "R" and a portion of the distinctive downward-curved cross-piece of the "A".

This is better than the NY Times crossword puzzle.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#59 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

It's the last three letters of QUADRA..!

#60 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

So maybe it was called "THE QUADRA BOOT AND SHOE REPAIR DEPOT"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users