The ECHL vs. WHL Arena Lease Thread

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:20 PM

I will admit I was wrong on the players drafted - I was trying to find that information about the drafted players etc, but it was not something that was coming up easily.

The number of drafted players on the Bruins is about what I would expect in the WHL. To call the roster of the Bruins 31 is true in so far as they had call ups for injuries etc... The core is 20. This is one in four currently playing and many of the players are not yet eligible to be drafted

I will not agree that WHL is a lower quality of hockey that the ECHL. I have watched both, admittedly a lot more WHL and most of ECHL via video and not live. You are not going to get me to agree with you. I happy to disagree and leave it there as we are all spending more of our time on this than we should.

WHL I will look at seasons tickets - depending on price I will buy a pair.

#82 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

it's raw and full of passion and enthusiasm and because you know that a few of the best players will have bright futures in the big league.

there's just something more "pure" about younger players aspiring to make it than there is about second-tier professionals looking for another chance at a big league paycheck

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Yes, a team of adult professionals (of whatever level) will beat a junior team virtually every time, but that's not really the point, as wise man aastra just pointed out.

#83 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Yes, a team of adult professionals (of whatever level) will beat a junior team virtually every time, but that's not really the point, as wise man aastra just pointed out.

We already have the BCHL at Bear Mtn. that provides plenty of passion and enthuasiasm, the WHL is the same thing (Teenage Hockey Players) with a bit more skill.

#84 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

We already have the BCHL at Bear Mtn. that provides plenty of passion and enthuasiasm, the WHL is the same thing (Teenage Hockey Players) with a bit more skill.

Yes, and that's why a lot of Victorians want the Dub back. I don't think the fondness for the Salmon Kings (E in general) goes deep enough around here.

That said - I have to wonder if another poster (maybe off a different board) is right when he/she wrote that the default SOFA attendance for regular season hockey (not playoffs or single games like WHL/Russia or women's Canada vs. USA) is about 3,500. That's E or W or A. We'll find that out in January 2011 I imagine.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

Well it makes sense we all know how much support the Salsa had when they were downtown. Junior hockey is going to have just as low attendance as ever. Probably less than the SK's brought in.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:51 AM

When owned by the Kowalkos (who knew how to publicise and deal with people) I believe the average attendance for the Salsa was over 2,000 (higher on weekends) which was reckoned quite good for Tier II junior hockey. Unfortunately, the team wasn't up to much on the ice and then Waggy took over and squeezed every cent out of everybody. But results improved, eventually a BCHL championship. Go figure.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

Yeah I don't see it, WHL will be getting about 1500 a game. Victorians want to have a good reason to go to a game. WHL is not going to be it.

It has a whole new look!

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Salmon Kings playoff games start tonight! Best-of-five opens at home with games today and tomorrow.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Jim Mullin on CKNW and CFAX this morning. I don't think he'll be on Brian Burke's Christmas card list.

http://www.cknw.com/...ae_comment.aspx
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

Yeah I don't see it, WHL will be getting about 1500 a game. Victorians want to have a good reason to go to a game. WHL is not going to be it.

I'm excited about the WHL coming to Victoria and won't shed a tear over the loss of the Salmon Kings. You don't think Victorians would rather play the Vancouver Giants than the Toledo Walleye? I know which matchup I'd find more intriguing...

The ECHL is irrelevent and nobody cares about the Kelly Cup. On the other hand, the WHL is a televised league that gets national media coverage. Some of the world's best young players will be coming to town, and maybe one day we'll be competing for the Memorial Cup!

#91 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Will the Salmon Kings go if the WHL comes? Both teams play 36 regular season games each, which is 72 games over six months, or two games every five nights. Given the road trips the teams take, it should actually work well to have them share the space.

The Grizzlies would add 30 more games into the mix.

The WHL averages 4240 per game and there are two teams that would be close enough that their booster clubs would be expected to come to town regularly.

Lowest attendance in the WHL is Swift Current with 2100 attendance, though the town is in the middle of nowhere and only has 14500 people.

ECHL attendance is roughly the same as the WHL, though Victoria is in the bottom end of the league.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Will the Salmon Kings go if the WHL comes? Both teams play 36 regular season games each, which is 72 games over six months, or two games every five nights. Given the road trips the teams take, it should actually work well to have them share the space.

The Grizzlies would add 30 more games into the mix.

The WHL averages 4240 per game and there are two teams that would be close enough that their booster clubs would be expected to come to town regularly.

Lowest attendance in the WHL is Swift Current with 2100 attendance, though the town is in the middle of nowhere and only has 14500 people.

ECHL attendance is roughly the same as the WHL, though Victoria is in the bottom end of the league.

Here's a handy attendance site: http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/

#93 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

^Interesting. It puts Victoria at just under the average attendance this year for the Abbotsford AHL team.

If WHL comes ECHL will not still be here. Victoria cannot support two teams like that. Victoria is clearly not last in the ECHL for attendance this year from that info.

I also wil bet that WHL will be lucky to get close to 3600 a game.

It has a whole new look!

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Let's face it. Victoria isn't a hockey town and probably never will be. Whether its the ECHL or WHL, or whatever, attendance will never be something it hasn't been all these years.

If there was a real appetite for hockey in Victoria we'd have a solid attendance record day in and day out regardless of the league.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

^ True!

It has a whole new look!

#96 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

I just saw a very good game tonight full of passion, enthusiasm, and skill between the Salmon Kings and the Bakersfield Condors in Game 1 of the best of 5 series. Too bad only 2314 fans were in attendance to see the Kings prevail 3-1. I wonder what WHL Commissioner Ron Robison thinks of those figures?

#97 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Jim Mullin on CKNW and CFAX this morning. I don't think he'll be on Brian Burke's Christmas card list.

http://www.cknw.com/...ae_comment.aspx

Unbelievable to say the least.

Good work Vic Hockey Fan

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

I just saw a very good game tonight full of passion, enthusiasm, and skill between the Salmon Kings and the Bakersfield Condors in Game 1 of the best of 5 series. Too bad only 2314 fans were in attendance to see the Kings prevail 3-1. I wonder what WHL Commissioner Ron Robison thinks of those figures?

And tickets were $5 right?

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

We can't even give away hockey tickets in Victoria, and the city is known for its cheapskates ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

We can't even give away hockey tickets in Victoria, and the city is known for its cheapskates ;)

In fairness, it was a little tough to get the word out.

The playoff schedule wasn't announced until Sunday, not a big night for TV-news watching or radio-listening. So there was also no mention in Sunday's TC, and there is no TC Monday.

Now, why we rushed to start the playoffs is strange, we were the very first to go, the only ECHL game last night. Other series are starting today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users