The ECHL vs. WHL Arena Lease Thread

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

We can't even give away hockey tickets in Victoria, and the city is known for its cheapskates ;)

Who was giving away tickets and when? For that price I will watch the Salmon Kings

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

RG is making an announcement at 11:30am Wednesday, at the arena, I received an invitation.

Is there any chance the SKs will suspend operations right in the middle of the playoffs? Lord, I hope not. This fire-sale ticket pricing, coupled with this announcement right before they play up to three games at home, has me worried, just a little.

UPDATE: They gathered the local media in their dressing room today. No real news though. They just asked the fans to come support. So I guess we carry on.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

That was an odd press conference.

Honestly I get little or no sense of a presence of the team in the city. I am sure they must be doing things in the community, but I have never run into them.

#104 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Is there any chance the SKs will suspend operations right in the middle of the playoffs? Lord, I hope not. This fire-sale ticket pricing, coupled with this announcement right before they play up to three games at home, has me worried, just a little

Somehow I doubt they would invite sponsors and connected folk to witness the pulling of the rug out from under in the most embarrassing, unprofessional way possible? Then sell the captive audience on some Dub ticket packages for next season :)

#105 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

The Salmon Kings are now playing some of the best hockey they have played since coming to Victoria. They are now in the second round of the playoffs leading two games to none against the highly favoured Utah Grizzlies heading back to Victoria for a game this Wednesday. Unfortunately it will be very disappointing when the Kings are lucky to see over 3000 in attendance. Victoria hockey fans really do not deserve a team like the Salmon Kings (or the Chilliwack Chiefs) who are peaking at the right time. When you consider that Bakersfield averaged over 4000 for the two games in their arena we should be getting at least 4500-5000 for the Utah games this weekend.

So Victoria fans, take some of your empty beer bottles to the liquor store and buy some tickets to the best hockey in town. Come next year it will be gone forever.

Go! Kings Go!

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

This just in from a press meeting.

A WHL team has been confirmed for Victoria. No team name and no other details have been provided.

No word on the future of the Salmon Kings franchise and no questions accepted by RG Properties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:49 AM

This just in from a press meeting.

A WHL team has been confirmed for Victoria. No team name and no other details have been provided.

No word on the future of the Salmon Kings franchise and no questions accepted by RG Properties.

Indeed. I was there.

I don't think the words "salmon" or "kings" were mentioned by any of the speakers, Ron Robison (WHL commissioner), the WHL PR person, Mayor Fortin, Dave Dakers or Graham Lee.

Team info can be found here:

www.vicwhl.com
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

It's not exactly a name-the-team contest, but they have thrown up a poll for names:

Victoria Capitals
Victoria Dragons
Victoria Force
Victoria Royals
Victoria Tide
Victoria Thunder

I quite like TIDE.

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the update direct from the source, VHF. I meant to include this in the posting but I was publishing the VV story at the same time and it slipped my mind. My bad :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

They could get a sponsorship from Tide and really clean up.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#111 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

I think it's the right move. The prospect of having regional rivalries is enticing to me, and I think people will embrace the Western Hockey League much more readily than the East Coast Hockey League (I know it's technically just ECHL now, but c'mon!).

Frankly, the ECHL as a brand sucks. The Salmon Kings as a brand wasn't much better, if at all. The name and logo of the team are a joke...fish with a crown....seriously?

That all being said, RG Properties needs to do a much better job of managing the arena in order to make the customer experience something I would call acceptable. The concession operations are abysmal. The quality of the food is awful and the beer service is the worst I have ever experienced, which is odd considering it should be a huge source of ancillary revenue. If they had the toothless hot dog guy with a barbeque from Douglas St instead of the concessions they have now it would be a massive improvement.

#112 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

Marty the Marmot in negotiations for WHL contract:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aaFygpKJM_k

#113 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

As you saw from my last blog post, I was doing some searching through recently trademarked hockey names and logos; during my search I came across a simple trademark – “Royals” with a logo attached, registered to Westcoast Hockey Enterprises Ltd. on May 16, 2011 for “Entertainment services, namely, the operation of a hockey team made available to the public in live events and through the media of television and radio; organizing and promoting hockey tournaments and exhibitions.”

I saved the file in my archives not thinking much of it, until I did a little bit of searching today; enough to at least raise the possibility that “Victoria Royals” could indeed be the name and logo of the new Victoria WHL hockey team.

The first big bit of evidence is the team held a name-the-team vote with the following options:
Victoria Capitals
Victoria Dragons
Victoria Force
Victoria Royals
Victoria Tide
Victoria Thunder

Out of all those possibile names, only “Royals” has been registered for a new trademark.

If that wasn’t enough of a reason to believe:
Always the most reliable of sources, a Wikipedia search for Victoria Royals links to to a page saying “Deleted Victoria Royals… Article duplicates an existing topic, Victoria WHL Team”; interesting I thought.
A domain name lookup shows both victoriaroyals.com and victoriaroyals.ca were just registered privately on April 19, 2011.

To me it’s quite clear that this is the new name of the Victoria WHL team, I personally love the name – Victoria is obviously named after Queen Victoria, a royal, it’s simple, classic… I’m not sure I’m a fan of the logo but let’s wait until we see it in colour first before judging.

http://www.sportslog...-name-and-logo/

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Is it just me or does "Victoria Royals" not work so well when it's said aloud?

Not to mention another heaping dose of the same old faux-British schtick...

#115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

Is it just me or does "Victoria Royals" not work so well when it's said aloud?

How about "Goaltending foils Cory Boyles of the Victoria Royals". Say that five times.

Good detective work. The logo is in black and while likely because they are fine-tuning the colour scheme.

#116 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

So as further proof, I went to the Canadian International Property Office and found the 'Royals' registered trademark.

Here's the link:
http://www.ic.gc.ca/...ntIndexOnPage=1

I like the name 'Royals'. It's simple and classy. The name shouldn't go out of style and they obviously have a lot of leeway in terms of logos and branding. I don't feel like it caters at all to the faux-British stuff most of us dislike. Like it or not, the monarchy is very much a part of Canada.

IMO a huge improement over the ridiculous 'Salmon Kings' name an their horrid logo.

As far as why the logo is registered in black & white goes, they all appear to be. I've searched quite a few on the CIPO website and all the trademarks I have seen have been this way.

#117 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

I would prefer "Royals" to "Kings" or "Monarchs", I'll say that.

Why do so many WHL team names remind us of major league teams in baseball, basketball, and football? Giants, Rockets, Tigers, Warriors, Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs, Blazers (close enough), and now Royals.

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

There's also the New Westminster angle on the name "Royals". Should that bug Victorians?

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

Former Salmon Kings coach Mark Morrison will join Keith McCambridge behind the bench as an assistant coach with the new AHL team in St. John's (formerly the Manitoba Moose).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users