Mobile technology in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1914 replies to this topic

#21 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I was at the Flying Otter this afternoon too eating a $15 Halibut burger. First Time there and a lineup to get in at 2pm .

Not bad eating but skimpy piece of Halibut.

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

I was at the Flying Otter this afternoon too eating a $15 Halibut burger. First Time there and a lineup to get in at 2pm .

Not bad eating but skimpy piece of Halibut.

The fresh Halibut seems to be double the price this year.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,925 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

I was at the Flying Otter this afternoon and was able to log onto Shaw wifi with my email address and password.

This is a giant leap forward in the wifi world.

What if you don't have a Shaw account?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

The fresh Halibut seems to be double the price this year.

Wholesale price of halibut has almost doubled over the last year. A lot of places are trying to hold the price of food items with halibut, affecting their food cost - but many have ultimately started to raise prices to keep up.

#25 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ah yes, the days when you needed a bag to carry your car phone around in because the battery and transmitters were so big.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,803 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

The Flying Otter is supposed to expand to take over the ticket counter area. Where do things stand with the proposed new seaplane terminal?

#28 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,609 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

They have completed the renovation where the ticket counter was. It's just a big open area now. I am assuming that the flying public buy their tickets elsewhere.

#29 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,803 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Tx for the update Sparky. I need to get back down there soon.

#30 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,609 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

For those of you that use your phone for a GPS map and travel guide, there is a new app called "WAZE".

It has 2D and 3D GPS mapping, voice "turn by turn" commands, and it has a community based traffic advisory including police locations.

Very intuitive including favourites. If you are planning a trip to a city that you are not familiar with, you can pre enter the addresses that you need to go to and you just pull up that address, hit navigate and away you go from wherever you are.

It's free.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,042 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Wow. Very cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Nice looking app, but not very handy for the real-time stuff with the cell phone laws.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

How are you liking your PlayBook, VHF?

I'm not finding too many uses for mine these days

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,609 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Nice looking app, but not very handy for the real-time stuff with the cell phone laws.

Actually it is. It links to your hands free speaker device and the nice lady tells you 800 Meters before you turn, then reminds you at 400 meters and then again at the turn. She also tells you what road you are turning on.

Look ma.....no hands.

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

You're right - I should clarify. The avoidance and guidance features might work fine, but actually reporting a traffic jam would be problematic.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,042 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Reporting an issue is problematic, I agree. This afternoon I passed an accident scene where a cyclist was hit and the ambulance just arrived. I wanted to note the accident and developing traffic jam but it simply wasn't safe to do so.

Does the GPS use your data plan to navigate?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I do believe the GPS will consume data to display the maps, unless there's an option to download offline versions of the maps.

#38 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,609 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yes GPS uses your data plan. I never go over my plan though. I know reporting police is just a push of the button, I haven't tried reporting an accident yet. I have my iphone on a gooseneck plugged into the lighter which makes viewing just like any other gauge. Maybe traffic is easier to report if you are stopped.

I am traveling to Nanaimo tomorrow, I will report back.

#39 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yes GPS uses your data plan.

Are you sure? I have the TomTom app on my iPhone and I use it in the US, after I've shut off all data roaming & 3G.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,405 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Are you sure? I have the TomTom app on my iPhone and I use it in the US, after I've shut off all data roaming & 3G.

The Tomtom iPhone app is 1.39 GB in size, so it has all the maps stored on the phone. This is why you can use it with all your data turned off. The phone is simply using the GPS signal to determine where it is.

This is the same way standalone GPS units work.

Other GPS apps, Google maps, etc... are downloading the map data as it is needed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users