Photo

Mobile technology in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1907 replies to this topic

#41 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

^ You can go to the city you want, and scroll around in the Maps app, and get all the data loaded into cache. Then it behaves like TomTom. Not sure how long that lasts, but you can always find WiFi to update it.

#42 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,524 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Are you sure? I have the TomTom app on my iPhone and I use it in the US, after I've shut off all data roaming & 3G.

Maybe I am assuming again. I will check my data usage before and after my trip tomorrow and report back. I can't see any other way to obtain police and traffic data, but now I have to question my statement on the GPS part.

:confused:

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ok, so here's the skinny. Waze uses data to update traffic stats and load maps.

I decided to test the data usage and found that when buzzing around town for about an hour I used 238kb of data. Of course should there have been more going on and should I have chosen to contribute road data into the system the data transfer would have been much higher.

I also think that as more people start using Waze and updating traffic, sending notes, etc., etc., data usage will rise. I recently downgraded my plan from 500mb for $25/month (complete and utter ripoff) to $15/month and 150mb (should-be-illegal ripoff) as I was only using 80 to 100mb per month. Guys like me have to keep a good tab on the data usage with Waze otherwise Rogers will start adding a nice buffer to investor dividends.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,524 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Oh dear..... My data plan is 6 gigs. I guess I should thank my lucky stars for a 25 phone plan.

#45 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I got in on Bell's 6GB for $30 on the last day of the deal. Almost missed it as the launch of my phone was delayed.

I think I use about 10MB per month.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 9,035 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

They say this would work as a dash camera, what do you think?

http://www.woot.com/...d=23367#tracked

$139.00
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#47 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

They say this would work as a dash camera, what do you think?

http://www.woot.com/...d=23367#tracked

$139.00

It probably would, although there are better options out there, and ones designed specifically for use as dash-cams.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

sebbery, can you recommend any?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

BlackVue DR400G-HD is one of the better ones and has been quite popular over at RedFlagDeals.com. (Discussion thread on it here)

I just saw that the one I am using has been discontinued.

The BlackVue is a nice unit - There's some customizability you can do with it such as enabling/disabling the GPS speed overlay on the video (I can't do that with mine). It also has a parking feature where impacts to the vehicle or motion will arouse it from sleep so it can capture whoever just hit your car parallel parking.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Thanks!

Any idea on price for one of those DR400 units?

Know it all.

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

I think RFD did a group buy and it was $210.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not bad. I guess there's no chance of getting it at that price any more.

Know it all.

#53 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

They're about $250 on eBay now.

They might do another group buy on RFD but you'll be looking at more than $210 because the previous group buy only included shipping to Toronto (and the members picked them up)

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Everywhere I look it seems like people are constantly getting new phones or upgrading what they had.

Got me thinking, I'll see what it will cost me to upgrade mine.

$255 early upgrade fee! Looks like Bell isn't too interested in selling me a new phone :rolleyes:

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, seb.

And this isn't America (speaking about phone rates and perks), that's for sure.

Know it all.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'll put up with expensive phone plans in exchange for living North of the 49th. Well, figuratively speaking ;)

As for the dashcams there are cheaper ones on the market. Some can be had on Dealextreme for as little as $40, but who knows what you're really getting. Some have screens built in, some don't. Some give you a GPS speed reading, others won't. From what I've seen the Blackvue unit seems to be one of the best you can get for consumer use.

I'd like to see one integrated into the rear view mirror. It would be better hidden and less prone to theft.

#57 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

PlayBook + BlackBerry phone + lots of data = sitting at Esquimalt lagoon having my morning timmies reading and posting on VV :)

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,875 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

That's awesome, Seb :)

Know it all.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,311 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

One of the latest updates introduced the capability to use the phone's physical keyboard as a keyboard for the PlayBook over bluetooth. I can't type all that well on the on-screen keyboard so that's a nice feature.

#60 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Everywhere I look it seems like people are constantly getting new phones or upgrading what they had.

Got me thinking, I'll see what it will cost me to upgrade mine.

$255 early upgrade fee! Looks like Bell isn't too interested in selling me a new phone :rolleyes:

It means you haven't earned full upgrade credit yet. You should ask them when your full credit takes effect. The early upgrade is basically an additional fee tacked on to offset the fact that you're breaking your existing contract prematurely.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users