Mobile technology in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1752 replies to this topic

#1741 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 39,314 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Gmail doesn't mean you have to use an @gmail.com address, it's also their email client/platform.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1742 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,925 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

I'll never use GMail so it's a non-issue for me.

Ever since the free outlook.com went to a proper exchange back-end, email has worked the way it's supposed to.

This still doesn't help me make a decision as to what my next phone will be. The whole privacy issue around Google will likely weigh in heavily though.

I did use a BB10 device for a while for development purposes so I definitely get it. So much potential in that platform, unfortunately arrived too late.

#1743 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

I used a BBZ10 from release week for a few years. Excellent device and the OS was so smooth and easy to use after the mild learning curve. Could have been great but the media's at-best indifference and developer neglect hampered the platform. I eventually switched to Windows Phone for the tight integration with Microsoft services and the cross-device apps, and now Windows 10 mobile is faltering :/ Now testing out Android via a Kindle Fire.

#1744 RFS

RFS
  • 1,350 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

I really don't mean to be rude but for the life of me I can't understand why people struggle for years with these off-brand phones and operating systems.  Just get an iPhone or Samsung like the rest of us and be done with it.  Its like going out of your way to buy Mr Pibb because Dr Pepper is just too mainstream

#1745 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,379 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

^ I have to agree, but in Mike's case I think he has owned both....but has had bad luck with both. 

#1746 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,379 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

What ever happened to Motorola? They seem to have vanished when we went from flip to screen. I still have my Razr in the drawer.

#1747 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Well, I picked up a BB for my first phone for of the Bold-style keyboard. It was excellent. Then stuck with BB on the Z10 because it was what I knew, though a new OS. Switched to Windows Phone, which has been faltering somewhat of late. But I am currently all-in on the Microsoft ecosystem so WP made sense insofar as universal apps, store purchases, media purchases etc. Microsoft has been putting a lot of work into cross-platform apps, and like said earlier I have been using a Kindle Fire for a while and trying out the apps and integrations MS has provided. I'm unlikely to change phones until my Lumia 640 kicks, but at least I'll be ready.

#1748 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted Yesterday, 07:06 PM

I really don't mean to be rude but for the life of me I can't understand why people struggle for years with these off-brand phones and operating systems.  Just get an iPhone or Samsung like the rest of us and be done with it.  Its like going out of your way to buy Mr Pibb because Dr Pepper is just too mainstream

Who is struggling with an off-brand phone or OS?  I've been perfectly happy with my BlackBerrys.  Bought the Z10 the day it was available, bought the Z30 for $200 brand new, unlocked directly from BlackBerry on some insider's coupon deal.  My only complaint with it now is the "app gap", but not everything is rosy with the other platforms either.  There will always be a compromise. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1749 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 PM

What ever happened to Motorola? They seem to have vanished when we went from flip to screen. I still have my Razr in the drawer.

They sold their cell phone division to Lenovo.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 39,314 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 PM

^ I have to agree, but in Mike's case I think he has owned both....but has had bad luck with both.

Last three phones, in fact.

HTC phone developed a pink hue issue when taking photos by night or in low light. Great phone, amazing, actually. But it took pink photos.

Samsung Note 5 came out with a bug that caused it to lose connection with Telus’ towers. It took months to identify the issue and create a fix. Then it fell and died despite being in a good case.

Now my iPhone 6S was hijacked by Apple over a lame attempt to convince me to buy a new device because the battery was crappy by design from the get-go.

I can’t win.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1751 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted Yesterday, 07:38 PM

Apple will be introducing a toggle to disable that slow-down thing. 

• Matt R. likes this

#1752 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,925 posts

Posted Today, 08:01 AM

I used a BBZ10 from release week for a few years. Excellent device and the OS was so smooth and easy to use after the mild learning curve. Could have been great but the media's at-best indifference and developer neglect hampered the platform. I eventually switched to Windows Phone for the tight integration with Microsoft services and the cross-device apps, and now Windows 10 mobile is faltering :/ Now testing out Android via a Kindle Fire.

I predict the cancellation of the Kindle Fire within a year given your record :)

On principle I wouldn't buy anything from Amazon.   The worst is the Echo.  A mobile spy device sold at a loss in order to gather your personal data.   No thanks. 

#1753 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,925 posts

Posted Today, 08:03 AM

Well, I picked up a BB for my first phone for of the Bold-style keyboard. It was excellent. Then stuck with BB on the Z10 because it was what I knew, though a new OS. Switched to Windows Phone, which has been faltering somewhat of late.

Faltering somewhat?  Windows phone is dead as a doorknob.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users