• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1861 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:17 AM

I use ExpressVPN, and love it.

It's rock solid, and there are many choices of location from which you can establish yourself.

The only thing I've noticed (and it's not a big deal) is that it can often take 2 or 3 minutes to secure a connection ... although I stay connected all the time, so that becomes less of a bother than connecting and disconnecting all the time.

I despise being tracked across the multiple websites by Google and its ilk, and further despise being tracked for targeted ads on a multitude of websites ... all this goes away with ExpressVPN.

It has many other advantages obviously, like locating yourself in East London in order to watch Formula One racing with the proper, professional and knowledgable commentary on SkyTV.

Edited by Cassidy, 17 September 2018 - 06:17 AM.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#1862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,239 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:35 AM

iOS 12 is slated to be released today. It promises to make devices faster in lieu of the typical device slow down most see when upgrading to a new version of the operating software.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1863 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,787 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Does this have to be loaded onto every device, or can your wireless router be programmed to run the VPN network-wide?  I assume that Netflix is no problem?  What is the cost per annum and did you consider other services (e.g., NordVPN)?

Thanks!

#1864 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:26 AM

I use PIA and it's been great. Note that Netflix and the ilk do not work through PIA or most VPN services anymore.

Edited by lanforod, 17 September 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#1865 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

Netflix works perfectly with ExpressVPN ... although I find that the Canadian Netflix has far more programs than I can possibly watch in a lifetime, so I rarely use it for the American Netflix.

I looked at a few services, including NordVPN. 

I can't recall exactly why I went with ExpressVPN over NordVPN ... but I do recall that they were somewhat equal in price and capability.

I haven't done it yet, but I believe you can set Express VPN and others (like NordVPN) as a DNS rig on your router ... thus making it work with all your devices on that network. I really only use my desktop Mac for streaming to my AppleTV, so I don't make use of the DNS set-up ... and haven't examined the ins and outs of how to make those changes.

However, the details are all clearly laid out in the ExpressVPN website, if one was interested in that kind of set-up.

I find it to be more than worth the small monthly amount it costs ... and plan on keeping it as a regular part of my set-up at home.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#1866 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,787 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

This is great - just on their website and I see that setup is very easy, except for AppleTV (no surprise).  Not a big deal in my house: I'm a Sony fanboy, so all of our TVs are Sony AndroidTVs, so I can set up the VPN on those devices and then use the AppleTVs as the Canadian streamers.

It's about 2x what I'm paying now with Unblockus, but, it offers way more functionality, access and privacy.  I think I will pull the trigger!

#1867 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,322 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

It is way more than double what PIA (which is $40/yr for me) costs and I don't have concerns with turning PIA off to use Netflix or Amazon Prime Video anyways. It's relatively straightforward to setup on your router if you're familiar with how to get to your router settings.

#1868 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, I don't follow their suggestions for the AppleTV, I use my desktop Mac to stream to my AppleTV.

I suppose if I was energetic enough, I'd sit down and figure out the DNS set-up ... but so far I have no issues streaming to the AppleTV from my desktop instead of having the AppleTV access the net directly through ExpressVPN.

I too used a free or very inexpensive service for a year or so, but found I couldn't get anything close to a reliable connection to my Formula One races.

#1869 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

I think a lot of the cost discrepancy has to do with options.

In the case of ExpressVPN, I found I could station myself pretty much anywhere in the world I choose to station myself, with 30+ locations available. This can be handy for regional programming (such as Sky coverage of Formula One races, unavailable outside of England).

If you can't locate yourself to a place of your choosing, you can't get local only programming.

In searching a VPN service out, I found more than a few VPN servers that just wanted to stick me in the USA someplace, as opposed to letting me choose my location.

I guess it all depends on what you're using it for. If you're just watching American Netflix, or downloading movies you don't need a lot of options in terms of location.

#1870 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 2,787 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

Cassidy, on your recommendation and some research into NordVPN vs ExpressVPN, I signed up with ExpressVPN this morning and dumped Unblockus.  I've configured most of my devices rather easily, even the AppleTV (although it's a SmartDNS rather than full on VPN - not too worried about that).  I'm happy to be able to stream Netflix and Prime Instant Video directly through my 4K TV, as opposed to having the signal unconverted from the AppleTV.  With the app available on my TV directly from the Google App Store, I have full VPN access right on the TV.  Thanks for the tip!

• Cassidy likes this

#1871 LJ

LJ
  • 8,318 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:03 PM

I signed up for it as well today. My main purpose is to be able to access social media when we are in China next month. Facebook, Whatsapp, Google etc are all behind the Great Firewall. You can install it on three devices for one subscription and you can add and subtract devices as long as you only use three.

I thought it was pretty reasonable, I just got the monthly service the most expensive $12.95 per month, but there was a 49% off deal if you signed up for a year. That didn't work for me. 

• Bob Fugger and Cassidy like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1872 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 43,239 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

I’ve got iOS 12 now on both of my phones. It’s definitely a faster OS but some things are quirky, like the new Chrome layout and the UI in general. I’d prefer it if the functionality of apps wouldn’t drift from one OS to another.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1873 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,729 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

Can't say I'm noticing much of a difference in terms of speed. Maybe some of the news apps load slightly faster?  I still can't turn off the annoying noises that play every single time an SMS/iMesage is sent.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1874 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted Yesterday, 11:12 AM

I signed up for it as well today. My main purpose is to be able to access social media when we are in China next month. Facebook, Whatsapp, Google etc are all behind the Great Firewall.

I'm pretty sure that ExpressVPN is considered the best VPN service to use to circumvent the "Great Firewall".

#1875 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

I still can't turn off the annoying noises that play every single time an SMS/iMesage is sent.

The iPhone outgoing text "swoosh" sound can't be turned off unless you silence your entire phone. (apparently, it's a feature!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.