Esquimalt Naval Base

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:22 AM

Curteis Point is about 4 km away, but it is lined up with a flight path for one of the runways.

Helicopters don't use runways.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#142 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

Helicopters don't use runways.

I thought helicopters had to have designated approaches and altitude requirements and can not just fly in and out randomly.

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

Helicopters must fly as directed by air traffic control, so they'll often fly away from the airport or arrive along a departure/arrival path for that airport. I saw a Sea King doing just that when I was up there a few days back.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

LOL

I love it when people living near airports complain about noise from aircraft!

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:58 AM

No love on social media.

tnnn3.png

• lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#146 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

Helicopters must fly as directed by air traffic control, so they'll often fly away from the airport or arrive along a departure/arrival path for that airport. I saw a Sea King doing just that when I was up there a few days back.

I sat in the Spitfire Grill a few years ago and watched them do that. It seems they were coming in the same direction as the runway, and once they got to the point where a fixed wing aircraft would turn and taxi they hovered over to a land spot. Or is that all wrong?

#147 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Sounds good to me...maybe he wants to defect.

Two Russian frigates shadowed HMCS Fredericton and tracked its course while Prime Minister Stephen Harper was on board today.

The vessels were spotted mid-morning, after Harper and his wife, Laureen, spent the night on board the Canadian frigate in the Baltic Sea.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...3107649?cmp=rss

#148 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

Helicopters fly their own designated routes, or can fly approaches to runways, or can fly direct, whatever they and ATC determine for that particular flight.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#149 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

Traffic waiting to go through the Panama Canal includes the position of Esquimalt based ship HMCS Winnipeg shown at bottom right.

http://shiptrackinga...macanalais.html

IMG_8159.jpg

#150 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

How dare those damn aircraft make noise at the bloody airport. What is this country coming to?

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

HMCS Chicoutimi arrived at CFB Esquimalt just moments ago and we've got an exclusive video at https://www.facebook...vibrantvictoria

submarine 1.jpg

submarine 2.jpg

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#152 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

Most subs I have seen are streamlined and handsome, or predatory and menacing, these look like a pregnant guppy.

• sebberry likes this

#153 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:54 PM

HMCS Winnipeg is moored at the Vasco Naval base in Balboa.

http://www.marinetra...:383590/zoom:10

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Word is there has been another problem with the vessel.

Know it all.

#155 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

Most subs I have seen are streamlined and handsome, or predatory and menacing, these look like a pregnant guppy.

That is because you are thinking of a nuclear powered hunter killer submarine as opposed to this (1980's-era design) diesel electric boat - a very different animal. The nukes utilize a teardrop hull because their reactor can push the vessel at much higher speeds underwater. That all said diesel electric subs like the Victoria-class are 'uber' quiet, reportedly even quieter than the nuclear subs, which makes them ideal for killing other ships.

#156 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

That is because you are thinking of a nuclear powered hunter killer submarine as opposed to this (1980's-era design) diesel electric boat - a very different animal. The nukes utilize a teardrop hull because their reactor can push the vessel at much higher speeds underwater. That all said diesel electric subs like the Victoria-class are 'uber' quiet, reportedly even quieter than the nuclear subs, which makes them ideal for killing other ships.

Chicoutimi is a killer alright.

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Not exactly. The old DE subs were much better looking than this class, heck the Rainbow was much better looking than this.

Only the Brits could take something handsome and make it into an ugly duckling.

Here is another example of UK design beauty;

http://www.google.ca...9v2zTMppM&itg=1

• Mike K. likes this

#158 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

Not exactly. The old DE subs were much better looking than this class, heck the Rainbow was much better looking than this.

Only the Brits could take something handsome and make it into an ugly duckling.

Here is another example of UK design beauty;

http://www.google.ca...9v2zTMppM&itg=1

Well that is a subjective opinion I suppose. RAINBOW was an *ancient* US Tench-class submarine dating from just after WWII, and certainly technologically no match for the Upholders/Victoria-class when they were brand new. That said I am not defending their purchase....never a fan of picking up someone else's used, second hand cast offs.....

#159 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

Word is there has been another problem with the vessel.

Not necessarily. The ship could be working with the US Coast Guard tracking drug smugglers.

The latest position has the Winnipeg having exited the canal in the Caribbean, and on a heading of 40 degrees at 25 knots.

http://www.marinetra...l:HMCS_WINNIPEG

#160 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Looked like an American destroyer transiting  past Discovery Island this afternoon.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users