Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
966 replies to this topic

#501 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

Boeser + Horvat is as good of a nucleus to build around as the Canucks have had, maybe ever. 

Too bad Virtanen is such a bust, but I'm excited for next year with Petterson, Demko, Juolevi, Goldobin and our 2018 first round pick maybe ready to make the jump. 

Brendan Gaunce is also a big disappointment; he was very highly regarded in his draft year and has all but been invisible beyond the AHL level.

That said for the first time in...forever....the Canucks's have a nice nucleus of young guys going forward which is crucial in a cap world. You always need to have young, talented, contributing and above "cheap" players, ideally on entry level contracts, on any roster that expects to challenge for a cup to counter the huge salaries at the other end - Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, Toews and Kane in Chicago etc.

See the current Habs and the complete s***show Marc Bergevin has architected there for a lesson on how_not to build a team capable of doing anything remotely constructive. He's crippled that org for years to come with downright stupid trades and ludicrous contract agreements. Giving a 30 year old Carey Price - a chronically injured Carey Price, $10 million/year was insanity, on top of the $8+ million Shea Weber gets for the next several years. Both are aging, declining assets and are prime examples of how not to run a team. He gave up two second rounders for Andrew freaking Shaw - a third line player - and then signed him to a 6-year deal. Even Jim Benning isn't "Bergevin bad"......

Edited by AllseeingEye, 30 January 2018 - 08:38 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#502 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

Well ASE, let's just wait and see what kind of ludicrous contract ol Jimbo gives that slug Gudbranson.

Markstrom has also been a disappointment. Every game I watch he lets in a bad goal. Every game.

#503 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

Maybe - although speculation is that Gudbranson, Vanek and possibly Chris Tanev may all be moved at the trade deadline or, possibly more likely when its easier to do so, during the draft in June. Hard to see Benning signing Gudbranson, a 3rd pairing d-man, to what the market will likely dictate - somewhere in the $4 mill/year range. At least we can but hope not....

• jonny likes this

#504 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:42 AM

Markstrom has also been a disappointment. Every game I watch he lets in a bad goal. Every game.

Quit watching the Canuck games would ya.   :)

• jonny and lanforod like this

#505 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

Think Tanev's value is where it should be? I doubt it. He's one of the best shutdown d-men in the league, but won't command the trade value he should. I think we should keep him.

• Bingo likes this

#506 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

Brock Boeser, F, Vancouver Canucks (NHL)

A native of Burnsville, Boeser is going to command truckloads full of cash when his rookie contract is up next year. But while his rookie deal pays out just $925,000 per year, he’s making up the difference in performance bonuses. Boeser triggered various bonuses and payouts over the weekend: $212,500 in performance bonuses for being named All-Star Game MVP (and another $212,500 for making the All-Star Game), $100,000 for winning the 3-on-3 tournament as a member of the Pacific Division team and another $25,000 from the league for winning the shooting accuracy competition That’s all in addition to his $212,500 bonus for scoring 20 goals. He also walked away with a Honda hybrid. 

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#507 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

Helluva 3rd period comeback versus the #1 team in the NHL fell a bit short tonight.

#508 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Helluva 3rd period comeback versus the #1 team in the NHL fell a bit short tonight.

Pretty entertaining game. The Canucks were very physical tonight

#509 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

They ate their Wheaties this morning.
  • Mattjvd likes this

#510 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:32 PM

So Seattle expansion may finally be happening. Season ticket drive starting March 1, application submitted at a $10 million fee cost earlier this month.

Cost of expansion should it go ahead will be $650 million.

#511 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

So Seattle expansion may finally be happening. Season ticket drive starting March 1, application submitted at a $10 million fee cost earlier this month.

Cost of expansion should it go ahead will be $650 million.

It'll be interesting to see if Seattle can support professional hockey long term, assuming this bid is successful. It is first and foremost a Seahawks-football town, followed by college sports and then its a toss up between the Mariners (depending how the team is doing at that time) and pro basketball which I believe is part of the conditions under which the arena financing deal hinges, i.e.a return to the city of the NBA. And lets not forget the Seattle Sounders professional MLS soccer team, one of the most successful in North America. Hockey is way, way down the list.....

I remember in the early 90's an NHL exhibition game there between Detroit and LA featuring some guy named Gretzky - the only time in his storied NHL career he ever played in Seattle - which drew something like < 8000 fans. 

#512 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

Interesting...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#513 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

I know a group who flew down to Vegas this week to watch the Canucks. I guess that’s alright hey!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#514 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

It'll be interesting to see if Seattle can support professional hockey long term, assuming this bid is successful. It is first and foremost a Seahawks-football town, followed by college sports and then its a toss up between the Mariners (depending how the team is doing at that time) and pro basketball which I believe is part of the conditions under which the arena financing deal hinges, i.e.a return to the city of the NBA. And lets not forget the Seattle Sounders professional MLS soccer team, one of the most successful in North America. Hockey is way, way down the list.....

I remember in the early 90's an NHL exhibition game there between Detroit and LA featuring some guy named Gretzky - the only time in his storied NHL career he ever played in Seattle - which drew something like < 8000 fans. 

I think they can. There should be a lot of hockey fans in general: the population of the metro area is huge, and has grown a lot and will continue to grow; Hockey is much more popular than it was 25 years ago as well. The instant Canucks and probably Sharks rivalries will help too.

• jonny likes this

#515 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

Once the Seahawks' season is over, there's a big dead period from January when the NFL regular season is over and April when the Mariners' season starts. There should be plenty of entertainment dollars to go around in Seattle for a NHL team. 

Plus, the Mariners are the Mariners (not very good) and the Seahawks are in the fast lane to being a bad team. 

#516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

Closing in on 4 million now for the metro. I’m sure they can draw 20,000 to a game.
  • lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#517 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

Seattle's the 15th largest metropolitan area in the USA. It is larger than other metro areas like Minneapolis, Denver and Pittsburgh that have NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL franchises. It's similar in size to Detroit and Phoenix, which of course have franchises in the four major North American pro sports leagues. 

#518 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

It's a real travesty that Canada lost to Germany this morning.

Really, in an Olympic games, when a game is so close (just one goal) it would be better to take it automatically to a shoot-out to better decide the outcome.

#519 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Its only a travesty due to the NHL refusing to allow the best players to go. Team Canada was a team of 30 stringer rejects.

#520 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

Well, that was the 31 team owners and the NHLPA that decided not to go.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users