Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
966 replies to this topic

#541 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

If I did my addition right, each earned $74,165,000 over the life of their NHL contracts.

Not bad.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 April 2018 - 11:14 AM.

• Matt R. and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#542 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

They've given away a fair chunk already too.

#543 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

They've given away a fair chunk already too.

Including on team meals!

Event though...

http://www.perdiemsa...ising-per-diems

Per diem is a regular piece of collective bargaining agreements for the National Hockey League as well.  The NHL per diem was $101 in 2013 but was increased to $103 for 2014-15.

https://www.bardown....-tabs-1.1044801

After announcing their plans to retire after the season on Monday, Henrik and Daniel Sedin spoke to the media and answered a number of questions about things like what led to the decision and what the future holds.

They also had the chance to answer some fun questions, one of which was about who would pick up the tab for meals once they're gone.  The Sedins have always had a sense of humour, so it's no surprise Henrik cracked decided to jokingly take a shot at some of his Canadian teammates.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 April 2018 - 01:22 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#544 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

I wasn’t expecting to be this sad.

It was amazing watching these guys progress from two skinny bambi’s on the ice, guys who had trouble staying on their feet, to one of the most feared offensive duos in NHL history. Incredible. The whole story from the draft, to playing together all these years, to retirement is awesome. Love it. Love these guys. I’ll miss them.

You're definitely not alone, Jonny!  I thought this was a pretty good write-up:

Please Advise: Can a Sedinless Life Have Meaning?

Henrik-and-Daniel retirement syndrome strikes Vancouver

https://thetyee.ca/O...e-Have-Meaning/

“The announcement Monday that the Sedin twins would retire at season’s end was not entirely unexpected, but the effects have been no less dramatic for that. Grief is as widespread as caviar on knäckebröd. Sales of sour herring have tripled (to three cans).”

“…the Sedins have admitted they had doubts themselves in the first couple of years. But they responded by keeping their heads down and working tirelessly. They started out pretty good, then steadily became great. And as they progressed from prospects to superstars, their public demeanour changed in one way: their English improved.”

“In an era where sports marketing emphasized grandiosity and outsize personalities, the Sedins quietly carried the banner for the opposite philosophy - the abnegation of self in favour of team.”

“Off the ice, the Sedins donated $1.5 million to BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, started the Sedin Family Foundation and toured hospital wards so often you’d think they had lost their keys there. The Sedins are not characters. They are character, personified.”

“This week we raise a mug of fermented milk to the best damn Swedish combo since ABBA. Thanks for everything, boys. Go ahead, have another piece of surströmming. You’ve earned it.”

• Bingo, jonny and Mattjvd like this

#545 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

If only they could have been successful in the playoffs.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#546 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

^ in everything except that final game, which is the only one that counts.. Yep. The only disappointment in their careers whatsoever.

#547 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

If only they could have been successful in the playoffs.

They were pretty damn successful. More successful than any other Canucks era. They each played over 100 NHL playoff games. My only regret is they ran into the bloody Blackhawks in 2009 and 2010, where Luongo thoroughly shat the bed.

^ in everything except that final game, which is the only one that counts.. Yep. The only disappointment in their careers whatsoever.

Those Finals were so poorly officiated.

The list of injuries in the Bruins series was horrifying. The Sedins were about the only skaters not injured.

Ehrhoff's shoulder was busted (required off season surgery)
Higgins played the finals on a broken foot (required off season surgery)
Kesler played on a torn groin and with a torn hip labrum (required off season surgery) 
Edler played games 6 and 7 with two broken fingers
Dan Hamhuis tore his groin in game two and was out the rest of the series
Mikael Samuelsson's season ended in the series against nashville
Mason Raymond broke is back in game 6
Sami Salo had a groin injury
Aaron Rome was suspended
I believe Alberts got injured too

Winning would have been a miracle, really. 

Edited by jonny, 04 April 2018 - 02:38 PM.

• Mattjvd likes this

#548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

I blame Luongo for everything.

• Mike K. likes this

#549 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

They were pretty damn successful. More successful than any other Canucks era. They each played over 100 NHL playoff games. My only regret is they ran into the bloody Blackhawks in 2009 and 2010, where Luongo thoroughly shat the bed.

Those Finals were so poorly officiated.

The list of injuries in the Bruins series was horrifying. The Sedins were about the only skaters not injured.

Ehrhoff's shoulder was busted (required off season surgery)
Higgins played the finals on a broken foot (required off season surgery)
Kesler played on a torn groin and with a torn hip labrum (required off season surgery)
Edler played games 6 and 7 with two broken fingers
Dan Hamhuis tore his groin in game two and was out the rest of the series
Mikael Samuelsson's season ended in the series against nashville
Mason Raymond broke is back in game 6
Sami Salo had a groin injury
Aaron Rome was suspended
I believe Alberts got injured too

Winning would have been a miracle, really.

Henrik had sciatica from swelling in his lower back from repeated cross-checks too, he wasn't healthy.

And we can't forget the best face-off man in the league (Malhotra) was playing with one eye in that series.

In 2009, 10, 11, and 12, four straight years, we only lost to the cup champion.

Edit; whoops, that's 3 years. Chicago didn't win in 09'

Edited by Mattjvd, 04 April 2018 - 07:06 PM.

• jonny likes this

#550 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

How could I forget about Manny! Brutal.

#551 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

I blame Luongo for everything.

Luongo isn't the one who couldn't score in game 7!

#552 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

Their last game tonight makes it all good. Very classy sendoff and inspiration to the guys that are left.

#553 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

Their last game tonight makes it all good. Very classy sendoff and inspiration to the guys that are left.

That was an incredible game, classic Sedinery, and the crowd sounded fantastic.

#554 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

I expected the Sedins to dial it up - if just off the adrenaline rush - but that was pure vintage Sedinery right out of 2010. It was literally like we stepped into a time machine. The Garage even sounded like a playoff game. The clock was literally turned back to their prime, if just for one night. What a magical night, and a perfect ending. It's almost too bad the team plays tomorrow in Edmonton. 

The Sedin 'era' of Canucks hockey is really the era I grew up on. I remember I started following the team in 1998, in the height (more like the depths) of the Messier/Keenan years. That height of the Sedins, from 2007 to 2012, was just a joy to watch. The twins could seemingly score at will. The Canucks legitimately had two of the best players in the game over that period.  

The Naslund era was always a bit of a disappointment. Those teams were never good enough. Sure, they had some decent players, but were never really close to beating Colorado or Detroit.

I'll always lament 2011 - a piece of my sports-loving heart ultimately died with that game 7 loss (even though it felt like it was over after game 6). But, the Sedin era does not end with anything but good feelings from me. Those guys were a treat. Being drafted together, playing professional hockey together at the highest level until they were 37 for the same team, man, the whole story is just pure magic. What a treat. The stuff of legends. 

• Sparky, Bingo, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#555 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Realistically if they had one game 6 or 7 there would have been no point in watching the Canucks anymore. It’s our destiny to always seek the cup we can never seem to get. I think most Canucks fans would be more than happy with one in their lifetime. It’s not like Canada’s men’s teams where only total victory each time is acceptable.

#556 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:52 PM

Realistically if they had one game 6 or 7 there would have been no point in watching the Canucks anymore. It’s our destiny to always seek the cup we can never seem to get. I think most Canucks fans would be more than happy with one in their lifetime. It’s not like Canada’s men’s teams where only total victory each time is acceptable.

Nah. Saints won the Superbowl in 2010 and I follow them more than ever before. 

Somehow, I totally missed this, but Cory Schneider lost the starting job in New Jersey going into the playoffs. He's winless in his last 12 starts (going back to Dec 27th!). The Devils have turned to Keith Kinkaid, who carried the team into the playoffs down the stretch (10-3-1 in his last 14 games). 

Schneider's stats last year were pretty pedestrian (2.82 GAA & .908 SV%). This year, he has been a bit worse (2.93 GAA & .907 SV%). Schneider's 32 already (getting sports old!). 

#557 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

Being able to watch the playoffs again for free on CBC.ca is pretty awesome. Too bad the US can't get their stuff together in major sports to allow that.

#558 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

Jets are through to round #2.

#559 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

Elias Petterson has led his team to the SHL championship and has been named playoff MVP. He's 19. Nineteen. He scored 1.4 points per game in the playoffs. In the second or third best pro league in the world. Insane.

If you haven't seen his goals from yesterday, look 'em up. Friggin beauties. This guy legitimately has a shot at being the best Swedish player in history. I know that sounds crazy, but his talent level is insane.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#560 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

Elias Petterson has led his team to the SHL championship and has been named playoff MVP. He's 19. Nineteen. He scored 1.4 points per game in the playoffs. In the second or third best pro league in the world. Insane.

If you haven't seen his goals from yesterday, look 'em up. Friggin beauties. This guy legitimately has a shot at being the best Swedish player in history. I know that sounds crazy, but his talent level is insane.

Set the record for most playoff points by a U20 in the SHL, that's after doing the same in the regular season.

Swedish media was saying during the game that no one has ever controlled a playoff series like Pettersson did in the finals. Not Sundin, not Forsberg, no one.
  • VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users