• Please log in to reply
972 replies to this topic

#681 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

Luongo retires.

"This is one of the toughest decisions I've faced in my life and it took me a long time to make it," Luongo wrote. "After thinking about it a lot over the past two months and listening to my body, I made up my mind. It just feels like the right time for me to step away from the game. I love the game so much, but the commitment I required to prepare, to keep my body ready, has become overwhelming."

https://www.cbc.ca/s...thers-1.5191045

#682 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

That's going to hurt the Canucks' cap space for 3 years.

#683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

.@Sportchek Player Alert: The @MapleLeafs have acquired (victoria, bc) defenceman Tyson Barrie, forward Alex Kerfoot and a 2020 sixth-round pick (COL) in exchange for Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen and a 2020 third-round pick (TOR).

#684 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:29 PM

Vancouver adds two BC defencemen today in free agency; Kelowna's Tyler Myers and Victoria's Jordie Benn. They made a couple of other depth signings as well.
  • lanforod likes this

#685 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:53 PM

Vancouver adds two BC defencemen today in free agency; Kelowna's Tyler Myers and Victoria's Jordie Benn. They made a couple of other depth signings as well.

Principally Oscar Fantenberg (D) who played for the Flames last season; Benn is a very good team guy but as a Habs fan I'm not shattered to see him land in CanuckVille.

As a poster on a Hab's Fan Forum commented "I won't miss seeing pucks bouncing off Benn and into our net". He's not the greatest positional D-man especially in his own zone. That said almost any addition is an improvement over the D-corps iced by Vancouver last year.

#686 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

Principally Oscar Fantenberg (D) who played for the Flames last season; Benn is a very good team guy but as a Habs fan I'm not shattered to see him land in CanuckVille.

As a poster on a Hab's Fan Forum commented "I won't miss seeing pucks bouncing off Benn and into our net". He's not the greatest positional D-man especially in his own zone. That said almost any addition is an improvement over the D-corps iced by Vancouver last year.

He generally is positionally sound, but he's not a high-end defender. He played top minutes for a few games in Montreal and was out of his element. He's a solid #5 guy, and plays really well at around 15 minutes of even strength time plus penalty killing duties.

Now, no doubt Vancouver will have injuries on defence and Benn will probably have to be called on to play a top 4 role at times. Hopefully those minutes can be spread around enough to keep Benn effective.

#687 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

Myers is the big signing anyway. Overpaid a bit I think. Time will tell.

#688 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

bizarro world.  the blues with only 1 american on the team went to the white house yesterday.

President Donald Trump honoured the Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, using the occasion to announce an envoy to Turkey, mention the economy and an agriculture deal with China and laugh off the possibility of impeachment.

For the Blues, it was more of a last chance to celebrate the first title in franchise history than a political statement. Like previous NHL champions, they decided to keep with the long-held tradition of visiting the president at the White House amid teams from the NBA and other leagues either declining or not receiving an invitation or being disinvited by Trump.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...visit-1.5322077

and the raptors with no canadians refused to go.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 October 2019 - 09:40 AM.

#689 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

bizarro world.  the blues with only 1 american on the team went to the white house yesterday.

President Donald Trump honoured the Stanley Cup champion St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, using the occasion to announce an envoy to Turkey, mention the economy and an agriculture deal with China and laugh off the possibility of impeachment.

For the Blues, it was more of a last chance to celebrate the first title in franchise history than a political statement. Like previous NHL champions, they decided to keep with the long-held tradition of visiting the president at the White House amid teams from the NBA and other leagues either declining or not receiving an invitation or being disinvited by Trump.

https://www.cbc.ca/s...visit-1.5322077

and the raptors with no canadians refused to go.

Well Canadians, including our hockey players, are polite according to our national reputation, if the popular thinking is to be believed. They're Canadian after all.....

#690 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:34 PM

The local hero's had an outstanding 3rd period overcame a two goal deficit and stomped Detroit 5-2 in their barn, with Horvat leading the way with the hat-trick; Markstrom was a rock in net. 'Nucks are now 6-3 and looking pretty good.

#691 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

canucks now 10-11.  maple leafs worse.  everything is back in normal hockey order now.  if playoffs were held today every canadian team would be in except toronto and ottawa.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 November 2019 - 07:49 AM.

#692 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

Th Canuck's are still comfortably above .500 but their play of late is tailing off as injuries mount.

https://www.tsn.ca/n...dings#/division

Horvat is said by various YVR media sources to be feeling the strain/burden of the Captain's role and his production is suffering as a result. TO OTOH is turning into something of a s*** show with Babcock feeling a lot of heat. In fact on one of the biggest Leaf forums the two most popular board topic titles are, respectively, "The Babcock Death March" and "Fire the Cock", lol. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 17 November 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#693 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

Th Canuck's are still comfortably above .500 but their play of late is tailing off as injuries mount.

https://www.tsn.ca/n...dings#/division

Horvat is said by various YVR media sources to be feeling the strain/burden of the Captain's role and his production is suffering as a result. TO OTOH is turning into something of a s*** show with Babcock feeling a lot of heat. In fact on one of the biggest Leaf forums the two most popular board topic titles are, respectively, "The Babcock Death March" and "Fire the Cock", lol.

I think it's less about the Captaincy,and more about the role/minutes he's asked to play with Sutter and Beagle out.

In Tuesday's win over the Preds, he played (career high) over 27 minutes. Logging more total ice than Edler or Josi, unheard of for a forward.

His minutes were closer to normal (low 20s) in the next few games. But he has no rhythm of play because he is on the ice for almost every faceoff, then trying to jump off right away so he can still be fresh enough for his regular shifts.

I'm pretty sure Bo had even-strength ice time with every Canuck winger on Saturday night.

Edit: Horvat is 1st, league wide, in total faceoffs won, 3rd in number taken, and 6th in winning % (Jay Beagle is 3rd in winning%)

Edited by Mattjvd, 18 November 2019 - 12:10 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:45 AM

you can listen to the don cherry podcast right on his twitter feed.  first one is up now:

https://twitter.com/CoachsCornerDC

#695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:08 AM

The misery, the almost-but-not-quite Stanley Cup runs, the rioting and the weight of a fan base yet to experience championship glory — all of it started on this day 50 years ago.

It was on Dec. 2, 1969 that the NHL’s board of governors announced expansion from 12 to 14 teams and the Canucks, along with the Buffalo Sabres, were born.

https://www.timescol...born-1.24025224

colisseum.jpg

#696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

I see Campbell Construction's cranes in that photo.

And a wrestler?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

“I hear this huge bang, and I just hear this blue Chevy Impala, the passenger side window just shatters.”

Borowiecki said he saw the man wrestle a large hiking backpack out of the car, and yelled at him to stop.

“I was like, ‘Put the bag down bro,’ and he was yelling and swearing at me and telling me to go away and stuff,” Borowiecki said, adding that he crossed the street towards the man, repeatedly telling him to stop.

“At this point I started running towards him because I knew he was going to take the bag.”

Borowiecki said the man then climbed onto his bike and tried to get away.

“He took like three hard pedals towards me. I don’t know if he thought he was going to ram me or thought I was going to jump out of the way,” he said.

“I had my baby stuff in my right hand, so with my left arm I just sort of like, reflex, like, ‘I’ll clear the air.'”

https://globalnews.c...ancouver-thief/

#698 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:24 AM

I see Campbell Construction's cranes in that photo.

And a wrestler?

Wrestling was big around here in that era - I forget the name of the local circuit, might have been as simple as West Coast Wrestling (which covered BC and some of Wash. state); but they along with Stampede Wrestling (mostly Alberta) had quite a good run in the 60s and 70s - until the WWF got big enough to squash all the local circuits.

It looks like that photo is on the site of what would become the Pacific Coliseum, with a representative from each potential major user group (curlers, the Canucks, basketball, the circus, etc.) that the arena was hoping to showcase.

• Mike K. likes this

#699 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:31 AM

Wrestling was big around here in that era - I forget the name of the local circuit, might have been as simple as West Coast Wrestling (which covered BC and some of Wash. state); but they along with Stampede Wrestling (mostly Alberta) had quite a good run in the 60s and 70s - until the WWF got big enough to squash all the local circuits.

It looks like that photo is on the site of what would become the Pacific Coliseum, with a representative from each potential major user group (curlers, the Canucks, basketball, the circus, etc.) that the arena was hoping to showcase.

Yes, those stairs appear to be from the interior of the building, between the upper and lower bowls.

a551be46-78b4-4024-929e-368e88a84caf-CVA

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#700 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:11 AM

Ah yes back when CHAN-TV in Vancouver aka Global TV aka BCTV televised the old Vancouver-based All Star Wrestling show in the 60's even prior to the construction of the Pacific Coliseum. It was hosted if memory serves by Ron Moirier and featured among its biggest name acts Gene Kiniski, Haystack Calhoun and the Iron Sheik.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 05 December 2019 - 12:11 AM.

• FogPub likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users