Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#981 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Westbank's website indicates that there are only 4 unsold units remaining at the Falls.

#982 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Anybody know if the falls are sill running?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Anybody know if the falls are sill running?

They were yesterday.

#984 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Don't know if I had seen this article from 2010 before:
http://www.vancouver...1664/story.html

Given the critical acclaim that follows Vancouver architect James KM Cheng, you might think he would be tempted to export his green-glass towers to projects in cities beyond his home turf: cities like Victoria, where Cheng recently designed the 155-unit condominium project called The Falls.

You would be wrong, as Cheng bluntly stated in a phone interview.

“Absolutely not … we should not transplant Vancouver buildings to Victoria … But on the same breath, we do not have to just copy old buildings.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1kn8nD6CX

Cheng says his primary goal with The Falls — as with any residential building in a city — is to create something visually stimulating to people on the street. “The main thing I want to do ….is when people look up, they don’t see a monotonous scale of buildings, they actually see people. They can see landscapes. Somebody’s out suntanning, somebody’s out, you know, doing something. It makes living in the city much more interesting.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1kn95QmBu

#985 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

The massing of the Falls is very good.

#986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Didn't Cheng design a near replica of the Falls in Vancouver?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#987 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Henriquez Partners Architects designed 700 West 8th Avenue which has similar massing - http://henriquezpart...-west-broadway/

#988 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Wow, I had no idea that it was Henriquez behind that project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#989 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I think Cheng's trademark is the external grid that forms part of the facade. Overall, I think it was a brilliant response to the site, even if some think it muscles in too close to the Budget lot. Designing a building on a sloped corner lot is a challenge and this looks good from all angles, and from near and far. It's hard to believe that was a barren wasteland just a few years ago.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#990 Thatcher Smith

Thatcher Smith
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Apologies if this isn't the place but some friends want rent a furnished place for July and August and this development has a number of units on offer. Any general comments on the place?

#991 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thatcher Smith, I've moved your post to this existing thread on The Falls.

Cheers!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#992 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Apologies if this isn't the place but some friends want rent a furnished place for July and August and this development has a number of units on offer. Any general comments on the place?

Great location, but be sure to seek out a spot away from the northwest or northeast corner of the north tower (tallest of the two) as there is a very busy pub with a roof top volleyball court and lounge open 7 days a week that can get quite boisterous.

There is also a nightclub attached to the pub (below ground) that spills out patrons all night onto the sidewalk and you might find it quite loud on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and into the early morning.

Below the south tower on the southwest corner is a lounge with an open patio that can get a little loud on the weekends.

If I were to rent a unit in The Falls it would be in the south tower and as high up as possible or on the southwest or southeast corners of the north tower.

Know it all.

#993 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Do we have any ideas as to what percentage of the falls is rented vs owned?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#994 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Great location, but be sure to seek out a spot away from the northwest or northeast corner of the north tower (tallest of the two) as there is a very busy pub with a roof top volleyball court and lounge open 7 days a week that can get quite boisterous.

There is also a nightclub attached to the pub (below ground) that spills out patrons all night onto the sidewalk and you might find it quite loud on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and into the early morning.

Below the south tower on the southwest corner is a lounge with an open patio that can get a little loud on the weekends.

If I were to rent a unit in The Falls it would be in the south tower and as high up as possible or on the southwest or southeast corners of the north tower.

Heard anything about the soundproofing on those units on the noisy corner? I'd be interested to hear how much street noise from the bars you hear in those suits.

#995 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Currently 7 units are for sale at The Falls via MLS. Is that a lot? I dunno. Seems like a lot for a building in a prime location, but who knows how many are for sale because of noise.

Heard anything about the soundproofing on those units on the noisy corner?

I can imagine it be would alright with all the windows closed but there's always that one idiot who loves to scream at 2 in the morning. Other than that if you want to sleep with a window open, forget it.

Know it all.

#996 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

A couple of friends of ours stayed in a suite at The Falls a year or so ago and enjoyed the location and experience. They didn't seem to have any problems with noise.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

For Thatcher's benefit can you confirm where in the complex they stayed, how long and the what time of year?

Know it all.

#998 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Courtesy of Glenn Waddingham (worker at Chateau Victoria)

3UVWNo0bvMY
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

Downtown-Victoria-June-25-2014.jpg

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#1000 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

The Falls has been ignoring the conditions of a legal covenant on their building:

download (1).png

I spoke to the company that manages the building over two weeks ago.  They admitted they are not opening the walkway or driveway on weekends, in contravention of the covenant.

In visits on two subsequent weekends, I confirmed the doors are indeed closed from 6pm Friday until early Monday morning.

Yesterday at 12:55pm:

ggb5.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users