Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#101 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

Shutters doesn't exist in Vancouver...

But that won't stop people from calling it "a Vancouver building".

#102 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:13 AM

As for the suggestion it may be tough to sell a building with its own waterfall only a few years removed from the leakycondo controversy...

Has anybody ever made this suggestion? Anybody?

(crickets chirping)

#103 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:15 AM

It looks terrific in this picture but then this isn't the final version. I wish there was a proper model of the final version.

EDIT: my mistake. This is final. Looks like we're stuck with the terrific version.

#104 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

^Are you sure? I count 18 storeys. I also see the new articulated storefronts and the shortened lanterns on top. If you look close you can see where they cut into the base of the model to reposition the ground floor waterfall.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

And the lanterns have been reduced in height, too.

I think this is it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Crap, you might be right. The lanterns are definitely shorter.

If that's the case then bring it on. For some reason I thought this model didn't match the latest rendering. But now I think you're right, it does match.

#107 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hey, this project is looking good!

Anything, and I say ANYTHING, is better then that old, run down parking lot. Yuck.

Ben

#108 obscurantist

obscurantist

in your backyard

• 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

As for the suggestion it may be tough to sell a building with its own waterfall only a few years removed from the leakycondo controversy, Pearce said it hasn't been an issue. "Anyway, we have never had any of those problems with our buildings.

And we will be paying particular attention to make sure construction is done properly," he said, noting the waterfall will not actually touch the exterior of the building's walls.

Has anybody ever made this suggestion? Anybody?

(crickets chirping)

Call me cynical, call me jaded, call me a lawyer, but while I look at this and see architecture that's sorely lacking in Victoria, I also see a series of class action lawsuits 10-20 years from now when the neat design feature starts to leak into peoples' suites.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- it could be more work for me (and for newspaper headline writers, who can never resist a bad pun). I'm just sayin'....

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

You should be more concerned about leaking pipes "inside" of a structure rather than a water element "outside" of a structure, which won't actually touch the walls :)

Materials used in new buildings have overcome the issues caused by materials used in the 80s and 90s. And as mentioned before, the waterfall will not actually touch the walls as is cascades down the building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Wow, those are excellent pictures Scaper!! thanks for sharing! That model is hot! I wonder where it will end up in the end? VV Hall of Fame?

#111 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:14 AM

Probably in West Bank's office with some of their other great models!!!

I can only dream!!!! ahahhaa

#112 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

Those palm trees on the model are interesting. They don't look like your typical windmill palms that everyone plants around here. I wonder if that's just for the model or if they actually plan to plant more interesting varieties.

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

They mentioned that they'll probably go with windmills due to the climate, but there are a number of other varieties that could be grown here, too. The amount of choices vastly increases if the landscapers are willing to protect the palms during very cold weather snaps.

Know it all.

#114 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:56 PM

^Probably just used what came in the [url=http://www.model-tree.com/palmtrees.htm:4263a]package[/url:4263a]. :smt080
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#115 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Well if the palm trees are planted right beside the heated pool... :o

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

^yeah, absolutely. That could be just enough to keep them happy.

Interesting thought.

Know it all.

#117 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

it's going be a heated pool?

#118 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

yup just for those racoons...!!!

This is an inside joke....at the APC meeting at the Fall's proposal.... I guy came out from James Bay and voiced his oposition to the Fall's building because the waterfall would attracted Raccoons from the Park!!!

hahahhahaa.....

Also comments were made along the way, about homeless people using this as their shower etc.

Some of the comments I remember hearing were so funny!!!

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:46 PM

Fact is, they could eliminate the higher tiers of the waterfall altogether and it would still be a great design.

That pool would have to be heated. If not, you might as well grow lily pads on it.

#120 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

So, anything new on The Falls?

I haven't been downtown since a day after the officially closed that aweful parking-lot- how's it going now?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users