Network outages

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

I'm finding it bizarre that there's nothing anywhere about Shaw's network (both residential and commercial) being down on Vancouver Island for five and a half hours this morning. Media contact in Edmonton denied all knowledge of the incident afterwards.

Kiss those five nines goodbye ^_~
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

Perhaps because they weren't!

I know a few people are making that claim but perhaps it is to cover their own butts.

I use Shaw both residentially and commercially and had no issues at all during the times in question.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Was it out two nights ago? I was under the desk hitting all the reset buttons thinking it was something on my end.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

The claim was that there was a "massive" outage impacting Victoria and Vancouver from about 11pm Monday night to 6am Tuesday morning.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hmm.. mine was out Monday night I think. Some sites I could get to, others I couldn't.

Modem was online but I was unable to renew my IP after a few resets.

I have a 6GB tethering plan with my BlackBerry so it wasn't long before I was browsing again :P

On a good note, Shaw has upped the speed of their Extreme internet package from 15Mbps to 25Mbps.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Seem to be having some problems again. Some sites working (VV, Flickr) other sites not (Times Colonist, Facebook).

Very strange.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

Same here, except Flickr is not working for me.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

It's very strange.

Now VV is down for me with my Shaw connection. Plugged in my phone again to get here.

Oh well, I should be in bed nursing my cold anyway.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Telus has been fine.

If you have a Playstation you might have some concerns with your credit card information.

http://www.wired.com...network-hacked/

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

Ah, we're back on. The hamster must have been taking a break.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

About a week ago our Shaw connection at the office went down. After a while of no access I called up tech support only to learn that Shaw wasn't aware of what turned out to be a neighborhood-wide outage. I don't understand how they could have not known.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

That explains the problems I was having, interestingly I had real trouble connecting to the net over Rogers at the time of the problems

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Annd we're back!

What happened to VV this morning?

Maybe it was that power surge/outage we had a couple hours ago

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

VV was up, but if anyone had access issues it was likely a local Internet connectivity issue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

VV was up, but if anyone had access issues it was likely a local Internet connectivity issue.

Strange, it was down for both my Shaw home connection and Bell cell connection.

There be gremlins in dem routers!

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

...it was down for both my Shaw home connection and Bell cell connection...

I was unable to connect this morning around 10:15 but it seems only my access to VV was affected, all other sites I tried to access were fine. I use Telus as my ISP.

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:39 PM

So you were having problems from 10:15, I wasn't able to access it until 12:00. No problems with other sites this time.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hmm, weird.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users