• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#501 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Shipyards and logistics nodes use autonomous trucks to move containers.

Are they truly autonomous or simply executing a pre-programmed script?  Tightly controlled, predictable environments like a container yard is pretty easy for these things.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#502 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Oh yeah, that could actually be it. I admit I don’t know the specifics.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#503 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

It's most likely that fleet vehicles (transport trucks) will go robo first, follow by things like taxis and I wouldn't be surprised if buses were next.  Places where eliminating expensive human operators with pesky things like rights, regulation and laws that mean going with robots = big savings, and thus would pay for it.

Those operators also have "pesky" habits of crashing their vehicles and killing passengers or other motorists though.  A computer makes far less mistakes, does not drink on the job etc.

They have no rights to a particular job.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 March 2018 - 07:50 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#504 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

As soon as autonomous vehicles are viable they will be accessible to all through car sharing and they will undercut existing services.   Really doesn't matter if the sensors cost $50,000 if your vehicle is in operation around the clock and doesn't need a driver (oh and the drivetrain lasts 1,000,000 miles because it's electric).

#505 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

I think you are right, who needs a 50-passenger bus when your pod will come get ya, for little more money.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#506 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

Hey we all hate ICBC but at least we don’t have to change our gender to lower our rates!

https://www.reddit.c...e_by_switching/

#507 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

I like ICBC.

• sebberry likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#508 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

I like ICBC.

I don't hate ICBC, but I don't know if I like them.

I do participate in their online focus group surveys, and the latest one was hilarious - listening to an audio conversation between Joanne The Injured and Wes The Corporate Robot.

#509 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

There were about 50 people lined up outside the ICBC office on McKenzie at 8:30 this morning. Anything special going on?

#510 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

There were about 50 people lined up outside the ICBC office on McKenzie at 8:30 this morning. Anything special going on?

That was the rush for permits to drive in the bus lanes.  There's a limited number.

Ha, ha, no.  I don't know.  Was it a line up or a protest?

• Mike K., rjag and nagel like this

#511 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

I'm thinking it is a continuation of the protests over minor injury caps.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#512 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

No protest, it was a very orderly Canadian-style lineup. Sometimes there's a couple of people milling about before opening time, especially on the first of the month but I've never seen a crowd like that. I thought maybe it's related to motorcycle testing or some seasonal thing. 

#513 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

I was shocked today to find out that ICBC rates vary depending on where you live in the CRD.  I guess I was under the impression it was all the same

#514 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

I was shocked today to find out that ICBC rates vary depending on where you live in the CRD.  I guess I was under the impression it was all the same

Yup, I checked with my insurance guy, the postal code on Henderson by Uvic is $50 less for the same car than the parallel postal code on Cadboro Bay road by Uplands Golf Club....

#515 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

Actuarial rates vary by location - claims from one postal code for age, car type etc can be higher than for another location. Think oak bay vs the highlands.

Too bad distance driven isn't factored in.
"I know nothing"

#516 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

Too bad distance driven isn't factored in.

That's not entirely correct.

While ICBC doesn't offer usage-based insurance per se, your insurance is somewhat rated on the amount of driving that you do: pleasure use, only; to/from work under or over 10km, delivery vehicles, taxis, etc. - are all underwritten differently and the risk that is being underwritten as I understand it is how much your vehicle is on the road.

• Matt R. and jonny like this

#517 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

ICBC staff were informed on Wednesday that its 910 Government Street office space will be up for sale.  ICBC will be asking for a 10 year vendor leaseback with option for future renewals as part of the terms of sale.  Colliers will be handling the transaction (listing pending).

#518 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

ICBC staff were informed on Wednesday that its 910 Government Street office space will be up for sale. ICBC will be asking for a 10 year vendor leaseback with option for future renewals as part of the terms of sale. Colliers will be handling the transaction (listing pending).

God why a 10 year leaseback? Seriously they need to get off wharf st. What a waste
  • jonny likes this

#519 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

The trend of government selling off real-estate is peculiar.

Customs House, the Capital Park lands, now ICBC, just to name a few recent sales. Is this really in the best interest of the taxpayer?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#520 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

The trend of government selling off real-estate is peculiar.

Customs House, the Capital Park lands, now ICBC, just to name a few recent sales. Is this really in the best interest of the taxpayer?

So I would argue that despite being a Crown corporation, that this doesn't quite fit in with that statement.  This isn't your traditional government capital asset disposition, where they're trying to make the books work.

Look, ICBC is first and foremost an insurance company.  And as an insurance company, its physical assets form part of the investment portfolio for its insurance capital reserves.  Arguably, the market is at the highest its ever been for this type of property - as evidenced by the Customs House sale.  If they can cash out and purchase other assets at the beginning of their appreciation cycle (i.e., getting in on the ground floor), I say more power to them.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 29 June 2018 - 01:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users