The ICBC thread

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#681 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

No, absolutely not.

But what they are doing is the wrong thing. They are opening up British Columbians to civil suits, if I’m understanding the new regulations, which may be frivolous. This is totally the wrong way to go about insurance. Otherwise what are we paying for if insurance isn’t actually insurance?

What you could sure for would be extremely limited, as per the link.  Manitoba literally has this exact system with their public insurer.  Ontario has it with private insurers.  It's not that crazy.  ICBC bleeds court costs and payouts like no other insurer, billions of dollars a year.  You can debate as to why that is, and say that its all legitimate, but either way something has to change.

• Mike K. likes this

#682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:31 PM

I would assume the costs are bled because the whole thing is ICBC vs ICBC, and unless you lawyer up “your” adjuster has about as much incentive to fairly award you as the company they work for does, ie as little as possible. ICBC loves to blame accidents on a 50/50 scenario or other splits. That way nobody gets anything, or reduced payouts based on the blame ratio.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#683 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:44 PM

How well the lawyers are doing in the current system will be measurable by how much bleating they do about the proposed new one.

Even the move to limit minor injury payouts produced a spike in the number of lawyer ads during the hockey games on TV (and the tone of those ads doesn't exactly help ICBC's image any)

• RFS likes this

#684 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

How well the lawyers are doing in the current system will be measurable by how much bleating they do about the proposed new one.

Even the move to limit minor injury payouts produced a spike in the number of lawyer ads during the hockey games on TV (and the tone of those ads doesn't exactly help ICBC's image any)

I'd say lawyers have every right to complain.  Many of them will be out of jobs as they do exclusively injury cases.  I don't imagine it's easy to shift from one entire practice area to another on 1 year's notice. Especially after Eby has explicitly promised many times in the last 3 years that he would not be bringing in this system and barely gave the system he introduced as a compromise any time to take hold. 

The main thing I'm very concerned about in this new system is if I'm injured in an accident and I cant work for an extended period of time or if I can't continue my career at all. Under the new system, wage loss benefits are capped at $1,200 per week.  I would bet a large number of people on this forum make more than that.  For me, I already do, and my highest wage earning years are ahead of me. I've got about 30 years before I retire. Under the old system, I could hire a lawyer and get every cent of the money I would be expected to earn in my lifetime. 

Of course, I'm sure ICBC will come out with an option to purchase additional coverage options. But I have 3 problems with that too:  1) Now I'm paying for that additional coverage whereas under the previous system, i wouldn't have to; 2) Who even knows whether ICBC will even offer adequate coverage at reasonable prices; and 3) No lump sum payment. 

#685 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

Thanks NDP!  Just renewed my car insurance.  Rate jumped a little over $300 with no changes to my policy.  

I'm now at $1,515 for a 16 year old car and a perfect driving record since I got my license some 19 years ago.  

The only 'dumpster' fire is the money now burning a hole in David Eby's pocket.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#686 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Hardly the NDP's fault, They have done more to fix the problem in the last 3 years than libs did in 10 

• Mike K., Bernard, vortoozo and 1 other like this

#687 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

Thanks NDP!  Just renewed my car insurance.  Rate jumped a little over $300 with no changes to my policy.  

I'm now at $1,515 for a 16 year old car and a perfect driving record since I got my license some 19 years ago.  

The only 'dumpster' fire is the money now burning a hole in David Eby's pocket.  

What mostly changed in this year was the pricing on optional coverage. Did you shop that around?

You'll see the reduction discussed recently on your next renewal.

#688 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:00 PM

Hardly the NDP's fault, They have done more to fix the problem in the last 3 years than libs did in 10

I more or less agree. it’s not really rocket science it’s premiums in and payments out.
  • Bernard likes this

#689 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:50 PM

My wife and I had our insurance drop by $400 under the new structure. Not everyone is being hit with a rate increase.

#690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

I "think" my truck was about $100 more? But I'll have to check on that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#691 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:18 PM

What mostly changed in this year was the pricing on optional coverage. Did you shop that around?

You'll see the reduction discussed recently on your next renewal.

MFI is my broker.  I have home insurance with them through Intact.  

MFI offers either Intact or 'Family' for 3rd party auto insurance.  The person I spoke to today said that Family is never cheaper than ICBC, and that I might save a little with Intact as I have home insurance with them.  However given current events they weren't able to get me a quote at this time.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#692 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a push to have ICBC allow people to 'pause' their insurance for this current period. A lot of fully insured cars sitting in garages. 

#693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:53 PM

This is the break ICBC has been dreaming of.

Know it all.

#694 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

Well along with every other car insurance company as well

#695 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:57 PM

Which trickles down to less pain for us later on.

#696 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:32 AM

Allstate to spend $30-million providing car insurance rebates to all Canadian customers

Allstate Insurance Company of Canada is spending $30-million in car insurance rebates for all its customers regardless of their financial situation during the outbreak of COVID-19.

Allstate, together with subsidiaries Pembridge Insurance Company and Pafco Insurance Company (ACG), announced a “Stay at Home Payment” of more than $30-million to help its personal auto insurance customers.

All Allstate, Pembridge and Pafco customers who have an active automobile policy as of April 8 will qualify to receive a one-time payment of approximately 25 per cent of their monthly auto premium. Policyholders will receive the rebate by cheque in May.

“The payment is to help relieve the restrictions, changing business practices and financial burden imposed on our customers," said Ryan Michel, CEO of Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, in a statement. “We’ve seen less driving, for example, and this is expected to continue throughout April and into May. We recognize that with fewer people driving, there are fewer collisions on our roads.”

As a result, we are giving more than $30-million back to our customers. It’s simply the right thing to do,” he added.  https://www.theglobe...rebates-to-all/

Edited by VIResident, 08 April 2020 - 06:33 AM.

#697 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:23 AM

a one-time payment of approximately 25 per cent of their monthly auto premium.

If that was calculated on my premiums, that's a whopping $31.25

Last year that'd have been $25

#698 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

I'm surprised there isn't a push to have ICBC allow people to 'pause' their insurance for this current period. A lot of fully insured cars sitting in garages. 

If it wasn't a monopoly I am sure that there would be a pause button! Want to bet if they lower rates next year because claims are down?!

Edited by spanky123, 08 April 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#699 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:54 AM

Reminder to anyone working from home who normally has to commute, you can change your auto insurance to 'Pleasure' and save a few bucks.

If you were at "Commuting", particularly the over 15 km from work class, you'll save a few bucks a month on your insurance by doing this.

• Mike K., spanky123 and Victoria Watcher like this

#700 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

^ Yes, and this can be done fairly painlessly by calling/emailing your broker. No need to visit an insurance office in person.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users